XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Parking sensors/camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 03:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Parking sensors/camera

I finally took the time after 5 months of ownership to visit my local Jag dealer and see if they can figure out why my parking sensors and rear camera aren't working. I get the "Cameras unavailable, consult your dealer" message every time I start the car. They didn't even hook it up to the computer and told me chances are it is because the wrap covers the sensors, causing the error. Was nice enough of them to not charge me the USD$180 to tell me it's the wrap (I think).

Then on the way home I figured I'd stop by the local vehicle wrap shop and see if I could pick their brains about it. They had a similar response, thinking that it's the wrap over the sensors causing the error, but they said they've only had that issue with Teslas and that there was a fix for that car.

I wouldn't be particularly bothered if the sensors stayed inoperable and I could just get the camera to work, but I get the feeling that isn't really possible.

I don't really want to take the wrap off the sensors because they will be white and I really like the ultra blue wrap color on my car. I thought maybe if I could find some ultra blue/french racing blue sensors I could maybe replace them, but that sounds like it will be expensive and a PITA.

If I could get the camera working and leave the sensors inoperable that would be just fine with me, but I don't think thats really possible.

Anybody have any ideas?? I'm all ears.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

you might be able to get the sensors painted in french racing blue.

but the camera has nothing to do with the sensors (or the wrap, unless they covered it, which they shouldnt). they should have connected your car to the computer just to give you a diagnosis for the camera

Old 02-06-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
you might be able to get the sensors painted in french racing blue.

but the camera has nothing to do with the sensors (or the wrap, unless they covered it, which they shouldnt). they should have connected your car to the computer just to give you a diagnosis for the camera
Really? I was under the impression that the sensor/camera system was all tied together so If part of the unit isn't working the whole thing goes into error mode.

The camera definitely isn't covered by the wrap.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

hmmm....maybe you know better than I do. i dont see why they would be tied...seems like poor programming, but i wouldnt be surprised

Old 02-13-2018, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATFS13XFR
I finally took the time after 5 months of ownership to visit my local Jag dealer and see if they can figure out why my parking sensors and rear camera aren't working. I get the "Cameras unavailable, consult your dealer" message every time I start the car. They didn't even hook it up to the computer and told me chances are it is because the wrap covers the sensors, causing the error. Was nice enough of them to not charge me the USD$180 to tell me it's the wrap (I think).

Then on the way home I figured I'd stop by the local vehicle wrap shop and see if I could pick their brains about it. They had a similar response, thinking that it's the wrap over the sensors causing the error, but they said they've only had that issue with Teslas and that there was a fix for that car.

I wouldn't be particularly bothered if the sensors stayed inoperable and I could just get the camera to work, but I get the feeling that isn't really possible.

I don't really want to take the wrap off the sensors because they will be white and I really like the ultra blue wrap color on my car. I thought maybe if I could find some ultra blue/french racing blue sensors I could maybe replace them, but that sounds like it will be expensive and a PITA.

If I could get the camera working and leave the sensors inoperable that would be just fine with me, but I don't think thats really possible.

Anybody have any ideas?? I'm all ears.
I have had this error when the shop that replaced my front bumpers missed hooking up one of the sensor wires in the front. They took it back and fixed it in 10 mins. So if you had the front bumper taken off that is where i would start. You are correct the sensors and the backup camera are linked. The shop swore they did not touch my camera and all the work was only on the front. i had to force them to take it back in and check all the connections.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 PM

Unfortunately I bought the car as is (used the faulty parking system as negotiation) and can't take it back to the shop that did the wrap. I would be willing to give taking the bumpers off and checking the connections a go myself, as long as it's something a fairly mechanically minded person can do. Anybody have any experience and possibly some pointers?

Old 02-13-2018, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,259 Likes on 2,405 Posts

I took the front bumper off my 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR many times, it's not that hard, and I understand it's the same procedure on a 2013 XF.
From memory the basic steps are:
1. Jack the front of the car up and support it on axle stands. Make sure the EPB is engaged.
2. Remove the front plastic undertray - 16 or so large screws across the front, a couple of Torx screws in the middle, and some small screws or bolts attaching it to the wheel well liners, three each side IIRC. Disconnect two wiring plugs, one each end (for the TPMS).
3. Open the bonnet/hood and remove the bolts and screws across the top of the bumper - four scrivets and two 8 or 10 mm bolts IIRC.
4. Pull/yank the front corners of the bumper away from the front fenders - just pull them straight out, they are simply held in by plastic tangs. At this point you might want a helper and/or some way of supporting one end while you yank the other end out (I just propped the first end up on a plastic bucket!).
5. Disconnect the large wiring plug on the inner LHS (can be a bit of a PITA).
6. Drop the whole thing to the ground, maybe have a blanket ready to sit it on to avoid scratches!

Edit - I just remembered a comprehensive how-to for the "facelift" XF on the Pommy forum, written up by a fellow Aussie, and it seems there is some extra mucking about on the facelift, see here: http://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.ph...bumper-removal

Last edited by OzXFR; 02-13-2018 at 10:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
ATFS13XFR (02-14-2018), thap143 (02-14-2018)