XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Pedestrian Safety deployment fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pedestrian Safety deployment fault

Hi,
I have a 2011 XF, when driving over a speed hump, the pedestrian safety system deployed. I have video evidence that they was no pedestrian contact, therefore the system is/was faulty. The initial warranty expired 3 weeks before this incident.
So far I have been told that it will cost in excess of $6,000.00 to repair.
Jaguar technical have now taken over 4 weeks testing part after part to try and prove that the faulty deployment is my fault.
Have any you in the US had similar problems with the Pedestrian system deploying when there has been no contact with a pedestrian?
I am also interested in the quality of aftersales service in the US as the level od attention here in the UK is just not what you would expect from a "Luxury" car manufacturer.
Thanks for any feedback and information.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

I have a 2011 XF SC. By pedestrian safety system, are you referring to the sensors that detect objects when backing up or when on, that may be in front of the car? By deployed, do you mean the audible tone activated?

Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 AM

Hi Jaguny,

Sorry, I was not that clear. There is a mechanism on the XF that if you hit a pedestrian will blow two airbags under the back of the bonnet (nearest to the windscreen) that should help protect the pedestrian from serious injury by not contacting the engine lump and other parts under the bonnet.
The deployment I mentioned is the two airbags activating, raising the bonnet.
The result of this is that the mechanism WILL damage your bonnet, hinges and other associated parts, which I have just been informed is NOT covered by the Jaguar warranty.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Check the xk forum. Several people reported similar issues relatively recently. They may be able to advise you.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I was not even aware XF's had such a system, and I do not recall seeing a description in any brochures or in the manual. Does anyone know if it is also on North American cars?

With respect to after sales service, I am in Canada, not the US, but can sympathize - it is atrocious, at least with my dealership. Certainly the worst of any make I have ever owned, including non luxury brands. It's a good thing I like the cars so much!

Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Ascot,

I haven't heard of this issue on XF's. Not pleasant, for sure.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

This feature is not typically present on North American cars. I believe it is required by law in the UK and perhaps some other European countries.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I guess I will just have to give pedestrians the right of way, huh?

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Received 142 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
This feature is not typically present on North American cars. I believe it is required by law in the UK and perhaps some other European countries.
This makes sense as I have never heard of this safety feature. It always amazes me how major repairs are needed RIGHT AFTER warranties expire.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

I don't believe this is a feature of USA XF's.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:02 AM

Hi,
I have to say i am extremily jealous of you all,,,,,,,,, it seems none of you have to worry about this fault. I accept if something hit the bonnet/hood it may deploy. Jaguar are or seem to be ignoring the fact I have an in car video which clearly shows no contact. Car has been off road now for five weeks and it looks like they might take another four, plus repair time.
So another question what do you think of jaguar support and service in the US?
By the way I appreciate your responses.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:19 PM

Hi ascttt

What is the latest with your pedestrian system situation?

Mine went off for no reason on my XFS. Main dealer & extended warranty company are saying I hit something and that there are signs of repair to the bumper so wont presently cover the activation of the system. I hit nothing, and the front of my car has not been repaired at any time during my ownership. I had wished I had a camera in my car like many have these days to prove I did not hit anything and so they would have to pay out, but it appears going by your experience that it would have made no difference.

Does anybody know if there is anything we can do? Presently I am being told the only solution is to have the module removed by the main dealer and sent to Jaguar who will retrieve the data recorded at the time of the pedestrian system activating.

The lady at Jaguar said she would then send me a letter confirming if the system activated within its parameters, but Jaguar wont share the information retrieved ("for internal use only" apparently) so she may as well just say now that the system activated correctly with no fault. There is also the inconvenience of me not having a car whilst the module is removed.

On one thread on here, an individual said:

Actually an XK system design is pretty good, compared to a design of a PPS on a XF and XJ. The rate of false activations is pretty low, while on a XF and XJ all you need, to activate a PPS, is to hit a road pit while braking hard.

Hitting a road pit while braking is not what the system is designed for. Has anybody actually got hard proof that the system is flawed to help us make a claim against Jaguar?

Does the module have to be sent back to Jaguar or can the main dealer actually retrieve the required information?

Has anybody successfully had the pedestrian system activation covered under warranty?

Old 08-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Thumbs down

HivRhgs26
I have literally just picked my car up after 8 weeks of hassle. To top it all I foolishly did not check the whole car and have found a dozen door dings on the near side, so back to the dealer on Monday and a whole lot more hassle.
As for the pcss, I have had the work done free of charge,,,,,,,,, paid for by Jaguar not because they admit any liability, but because of the unbelievable wait to get their technical depts report,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what a surprise,,,,,,,,,, they say was a valid deployment',,,,,,,,,, well it may be in their eyes but as I did not hit anything, have video evidence to that effect, it clearly shows that their algorithm is wrong. I was told on collection as well that jaguar have kept all of the removed parts and that I have the new style sensors and control module,,,,,,, I think that says a lot in itself, doesn't it!!!
I am sorry that you have the same happen to you as it spoils the whole experience of a "luxury" car. Stick with and stand your ground, get an independent to check out the front hopefully they can confirm that there is no impact damage on the front, take some good photos as well, lots of them to prove no impact. I also hope your dealer is hugely more helpful than my local *******, three different prices quoted for the same service !!!
Let me know how you get on, and good luck.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 AM

Hi ascttt

Thanks for replying. Thelatest is as follows:

I asked the Jaguar Approved warranty company to tellme what the obvious signs of repair are to the front of my car being that I haveowned the car since March 2013 and have had no repair work carried out to thefront of the car. Gary, the same assessor,met me last Thursday at the Jaguar Main Dealer. He pointed out the area where the crease is and where he believes a repairhas taken place.

He admitted that he cannot say whether the repair work to thefront bumper was done to my car in the last two years or the last month. The pedestrian system activated on my car on 27.02.14 so six months ago. It is a shame that the warranty company’s reportdid not mention that he could not possibly say when the repair work was done tothe front of my car as the repair work and visible crease was the reason givento decline my warranty claim.

I took the car to a bodyshop the next day who will write me a laterstating that the repair is way over 6 months old with their reasons why.

I bought the car the end of March 2013 from a Jaguar Main Dealer. When asked, Gary confirmed that he thought it was “more than likely” that therepair work was done by the main dealer before I bought it. This wouldmake sense as the front of any car gets badly damaged from stone chips etc.

I asked if both sensors would activate from the position on thefront bumper that Gary had stated is where the impact had occurred (part wayalong on the nearside) as both sensors activated on my car yet the supposedimpact was over to the nearside so away from the other sensor. Alex (MainDealer Master Tech who joined our meeting on Thursday) stated that it waspossible that both sensors would have activated if it was a hard impact. A hard impact would mean damage to the front of the car that is easily visible,yet the Jaguar Assist Engineer made no comment in his report when he inspectedmy car on the day it activated and when I told him that I had not hit anything. And I have obtained a picture of the front ofmy car taken by the Center Parcs security lodge at 12:06:29 on 27.02.14 showingno damage to the front of my car. This was approximately one hour afterthe system activated.

Jaguar have offered to remove the pedestrian system module andhave it sent back to Jaguar Engineering for the data to be downloaded andinvestigated to see what was going on with my car at the time the systemactivated. However, they will not shareany of the data so they can tell me whatever they want.

Also it could take several weeks so I will be without a car forthis time. Hayley said at Jaguar CustomerService that “I will push for engineering to proceed and maybe get a quickresponse and a quick turnaround. I will push for that.” But now Hayley and her Manager, Sue, aresaying they have no facility to liaise with Jaguar Engineering!! It will be up to several weeks. “Our handsare tied.” Pick up the phone!!!!

I have asked Sue at Jaguar Customer Service if my car will functionwith the pedestrian system module removed. She sent back a copy of the instruction manual page on the pedestrian systemso no actual specific answer.

I asked the Main Dealer Master Tech if my car will function withthe pedestrian system module removed and he said it probably will but witherrors, and that he will find out. If itwill then it will mean not hiring a car (further cost through no fault of myown!) for an uncertain amount of time whilst Jaguar have my pedestrian systemmodule. I also asked the Main Dealer MasterTech to let me know under what specifics / parameters the Jaguar XF pedestrianprotection system is designed to activate. i.e. is it only meant to activate if it detects an impact, as the systemcannot possibly be designed to activate if it senses it might hit something asthis could actually cause an accident. Iraised this with Gary who agreed. Once Ihave heard from the Main Dealer Master Tech I will then be able to get my carbooked in and the module sent off as I will know if I need a loan car or not.

Could you please supply me with a copy of the outcome letter thatyou received from Jaguar as well as the video evidence that you did not hit anything. And anything else that you believe will helpmy claim. You mentioned that Jaguarfitted the new style sensors and control module. Do you have any more info on this as Jaguarare saying there is no update so the same module and sensors will be re-fitted?

I am not too familiar with this site and so I do not know the bestway to give you my contact details????

Old 08-04-2018, 02:17 PM

Hi,
I also experienced it.
Airbag exploded for no reason which endangered my life and it happened twice! With a difference of two months.
That is why I established a website to expose Jaguar's problem in this matter.
I would be happy if anyone who has evidence, pictures, a video to reveal it and get a refund from JLR.

Best regards,
Eldorado,

Eldorado

Last edited by GGG; 08-04-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Link removed
Old 08-04-2018, 02:59 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Eldorado,

1. this is a four year old thread.
2. you will see I have removed the link to your website.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham