XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Poor hands free sound quality through media system

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Poor hands free sound quality through media system

Hello guys, I have searched for hours looking for a thread like mine but I cannot find one so here goes and hope someone can shed some light? My XF is 2012 model and ever since I have had it I have not been impressed with the quality of the audio coming through the speakers when talking to someone handsfree. The system is fine when playing music so I know it’s not an issue with that side of things, it just sounds like it has a separate speaker just for the phone and frankly it’s crap. On other vehicles I’ve owned (like my Ford Mondeo company car) I can hear callers perfectly well through the cars speaker system, but in the Jag it is rubbish. I have to turn the volume up to maximum so I can hear them and the quality is that of a wind up record player! Now I may be over exaggerating a little but could someone enlightened me, does the XF use a single speaker for handsfree communication and is that why it is lowfi? Any other XF owners comments would be most welcome, is it just mine or is this a thing with the XF? Thank you for your time.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

I use mine all the time and sound is great in hands free calling. I honestly don't know which speaker it uses - I thought it just comes through then all like the audio does. But mine is 2010 with the upgraded B&W system

Something definitely wrong on yours. It's not a common complaint. Try deleting the pairing, reboot the phone and run any upgrades. Then re-pair it and see if that helps

Old 10-12-2021, 07:06 PM
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Same problem with mine 2012 low volume and when its on i can raise the volume a little more but not much ,have to do it every time i get a call

Old 10-13-2021, 07:55 AM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Is this on the premium audio pack. The base sound is generally considered trash.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:57 AM

My XF is the Premium Luxury model () but I do believe the media system is the base version. It sounds to me like the reception of the call just comes through a tweeter or a very poor quality speaker. The sound system isn't brilliant on my car, the best I could say whilst playing music is it is adequate . I was just wondering if anyone knew how it routes the calls, I can only assume whilst using the telephone it routes it to one speaker only, and it is very trebly with absolutely no bass which makes it very difficult to hear callers whilst at motorway speeds.

Old 10-13-2021, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Just checked in my 2010 XF. Sound comes out of all the speakers. Plenty of treble and bass. Loud and clear in the rear as well as the front of the car

There is a volume preset (on mine it's in the vehicle settings menu). Can slide up and down the default vol level for phone, nav etc.
is it possible that your phone volume level is set too low? I thought that only affected the BT music streaming on mine, not the phone, but I'm not certain.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:17 PM

Thank you for all the information you gents have shared on here. The issue isn’t with the phone as I have tried android and IOS and I get the same result with both. The volumes are all maxed out, I am aware of the preset in the settings menu for incoming call volume and that is on max too. So when I receive a call I have to turn the amp up to full also. To me it’s just like those early Bluetooth handsfree kits many may be familiar with, I know I fitted one to my old S Type and they used to come with a separate speaker you used to have to mount under the dash or in the footwell (Nokia) and the quality was pretty poor. I ended up buying a special lead that wired the incoming call through the car amp and through the system speakers. But if any of you remember these old car kits prior to Bluetooth being a standard fitment in most cars you will understand what I’m saying.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:29 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry none of us can be more helpful. My XF is a 2008 model with the standard sound system. The hands free phone system worked fine and the sound quality, volume etc worked fine. Last week I've had the sound system upgraded to Bowers and Wilkens plus installation of apple car play and a host of upgrades. Obviously the the sound quality etc has improved signficantly but my reason for mentionning it is that the phone audio output appears to only be directed to those speakers near the driver even though it can still be heard throughout the car.

Old 06-26-2024, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor hands free

Originally Posted by BritCars
I use mine all the time and sound is great in hands free calling. I honestly don't know which speaker it uses - I thought it just comes through then all like the audio does. But mine is 2010 with the upgraded B&W system

Something definitely wrong on yours. It's not a common complaint. Try deleting the pairing, reboot the phone and run any upgrades. Then re-pair it and see if that helps
I too have a 2010 XF and the hands-free system is worse than useless at the moment (just bought the car) - how do you upgrade the audio system? I can’t find any way of doing this?