XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Power Steering Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Change

Hi Guys,

Looking to change the power steering fluid in my 2011 XFR. Does anyone know the fluid type and procedure for changing it.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

I used RedLine full synthetic D4 as this used to be their recommendation, but they now have a line of PS fluids . RedLine has an application guide on their website http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=27. I use the same oil changing suction pump I bought on Alibaba for changing the engine oil, gets 95% of the oil out of the reservoir and sump.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 04-06-2016 at 06:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
fastlanz (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 05:30 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by fastlanz
Hi Guys,

Looking to change the power steering fluid in my 2011 XFR. Does anyone know the fluid type and procedure for changing it.

Thanks in advance.
I use a turkey baster like thing and suck out all the old fluid from just the reservoir(all the way to the bottom..Then I refill with fresh stuff and repeat this for about once a week for a month and this pretty much yields nice fresh clean fluid after about the fourth time..

I get this stuff from the dealer..it's what he uses, so I can't go wrong..

(click on this) Mobil ATF-320 PAS

Apparently this stuff is brewed for the UK market,,I'm sure there is something equivalent here OTC at Auto parts stores..I just use the Mobil ATF 320 I get from the dealer and to hell with looking for something else...

fastlanz (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 06:36 PM

Thanks for all the information guys. Much appreciated.

While we're on the topic of fluid change does the supercharger use oil from the engine? Also is the rear differential sealed? I'm thinking of tackling these items next as well as a transmission oil change. Nice write up on the forums for the transmission oil change. Sounds like if you can get the bolts out your golden otherwise not so much..

Old 04-06-2016, 07:04 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

RE: Rear Differential: As with mine, I assume your's is the same..there is a fill plug near the top of the back of the pumpkin..You have to suck out as much of the old fluid as you can...plenty of suckers at the auto parts stores..and pump in the new lube...(1.24 liters)

Again a dealer provided lube;

Castrol BOT 750B

fastlanz (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,379 Posts

Re supercharger oil - completely separate from the engine oil and a PITA to replace, see this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...er-oil-153183/

fastlanz (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 08:15 PM

Great info. I think I'll let my mechanic tackle the supercharger oil and breaking the bolts free from the transmission pan. Rear diff sounds doable.

This would make life much easier getting under there..

Old 04-07-2016, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

U
Thanks for all the information guys. Much appreciated.

While we're on the topic of fluid change does the supercharger use oil from the engine? Also is the rear differential sealed? I'm thinking of tackling these items next as well as a transmission oil change. Nice write up on the forums for the transmission oil change. Sounds like if you can get the bolts out your golden otherwise not so much..
Our superchargers need an oil change before a possible 100kmi rebuild only if they are tracked regularly or it is opened up before that distance (mine was actually rebuilt by Eaton at 60kmi for noisy bearings).
The SC/XFR and XFRS utilize an Electronic or Ediff, it has a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug on the side.
The trans really isn't a hard job actually the hardest part was getting the car level on jack stands for the fill process, you also need a way to measure the trans fluid temp during the fill process, I used a multimeter with ir temp reading, I just shot it at the pan. I wrote up both processes.
I also have a link in one of my post for the complete 09 to 11 XFR service manual as a download.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 04-07-2016 at 04:44 PM.
fastlanz (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 10:00 AM

Thanks again. The documentation of the trans oil change was fantastic. Could you provide a link to the service manual as I bought mine used and can't seem to locate it in your previous post.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks again. The documentation of the trans oil change was fantastic. Could you provide a link to the service manual as I bought mine used and can't seem to locate it in your previous post.
Thanks and Yep
2010/2011 XFR Workshop Manual 5.0L S/C [Jaguar XFR X250]

fastlanz (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Great info. I think I'll let my mechanic tackle the supercharger oil and breaking the bolts free from the transmission pan. Rear diff sounds doable.

This would make life much easier getting under there..
Lift Stand for a car: How to use a floor jack - YouTube
Yep, I saw these on FB a few years back.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the link to the manual. It will be a very valuable resource.

I noticed you have nice mod list. Are there any mods besides the tune / pulley that you really enjoy or noticed a significant improvement? I did the brakes last year with new high carbon rotors / EBC red pads but was curious about your other mods such as the tcp intake, intercooler pump etc...

Old 04-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link to the manual. It will be a very valuable resource.

I noticed you have nice mod list. Are there any mods besides the tune / pulley that you really enjoy or noticed a significant improvement? I did the brakes last year with new high carbon rotors / EBC red pads but was curious about your other mods such as the tcp intake, intercooler pump etc...
Your welcome and yes my service manual has been too.

As fer as mods, The tune and pulley where the only mods that showed me a significant gain in the seat of the pants, and if you do that too your XFSC by having it tuned to the XFRS level boy will you be surprised..lol THIS IS A STEAL →→→→https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-cheap-160258/..
Having said that most of my mods where for longevity,
TCP intake was done because the stock plastic one broke a mount, the TCP was actually less than a new one from Jag.
Die Hard Gell cell was just the best battery I could fine that fit in the car right after I got a low batt warning.
Plugs, did smooth out the idle (The most challenging) but were done because I don't like long interval ANYTHING! Factory plugs are covered by the 80kmi Federal emissions warr though, Champion warr my replacements for 7 years unlimited mi.
K&N Filters done as I'll never need to buy replacements, and regardless of what others say I've used K&N products for the last 20 years or so, we also use K&N filters on our 30 hp, run 24/7/360 day plant vacuum blowers (10 Total) for the filters great flow even while dirty, dirt collection and ease of maint (reuseable). I have been on a tour of the K&N HQ, dyno (Where there filters ALL HP gains claims are verified) facility, and production plant as they are HQ right here in Riverside CA. K&N does a dyno day every year and is the contracted dyno for all Motor Trend and Edmonds HP verification testing.
The IC pump was done as a preventive measure, they go out with no warning at around 50 to 70kmi. I drain and refill my coolant once a year so since I was going to be under the car anyways right? Jag wants about $400 just for the pump, I got the Bosch 010 for $99 and if it's good enough for AMG.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 04-07-2016 at 05:38 PM.
fastlanz (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 07:43 PM

Cool thanks. Funny you mentioned the tune and pulley.. lolllll. I saw that ad too... Looking forward to feeling the difference especially in the midrange. Hopefully will not be breaking any half shafts as I read the xfrs has a beefier driveshaft/half shafts. You wouldn't think 30 torque would make that much of a difference but the 1/4 mile runs are impressive. Will have to work on my launches...

Old 04-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Cool thanks. Funny you mentioned the tune and pulley.. lolllll. I saw that ad too... Looking forward to feeling the difference especially in the midrange. Hopefully will not be breaking any half shafts as I read the xfrs has a beefier driveshaft/half shafts. You wouldn't think 30 torque would make that much of a difference but the 1/4 mile runs are impressive. Will have to work on my launches...
Well as the saying goes "If it don't break, your not running it hard enough"..LoL Good Luck.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:13 PM

Wow we started with power steering fluid and wound up with a pulley, tune, supercharger oil change, rear diff oil change, transmission fluid change, and shop manual.. lolll.. Gotta love this addiction...