XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Prefacelift stereo upgrade available, Tesla style.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 06:13 PM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Prefacelift stereo upgrade available, Tesla style.

Hi guys, yesterday a Tesla style head unit was released, it comes with new trim in black color only for now.

All the hard buttons and controls, has to be removed.

And then there's this other unit.

I really like the looks of the hard buttons, but a big tesla screen would just be great, I'm not a fan of the black trim, not matching the original trim. Here's the link to the seller.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrxONWN

What's your opinion?

Last edited by Carlos Saez; 01-24-2021 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GeeVeeXF (09-14-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 06:33 PM
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I think it may look better if it gets wrapped in the same color/design. If I do it, maybe carbon fiber.
I don’t know. I’ll have to see how others do it.

Last edited by Oxidizer2k; 01-24-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:08 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking, after digging i found the factory, apparently they can match your trim color, they will send me more details later, I'll post them. They made 2 pieces to replace the center trim, the spear is now divided in a small section and another one with the glove box button, it's all included.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:11 PM

Good find with this screen btw. When you talk to them ask if you can still access options that we have on the factory screen.. like vents always open, etc. if they do match the factory trim I’d be interested sometime in the future once all the bugs are worked out.

bealzabubba (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 09:34 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

yea, I'd be interested to know if it successfully replicates all the functions of the stock head unit and how does it integrates with the amplifier etc.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,266 Likes on 2,384 Posts

I don't have an X250 so I don't know what the top screen is used for.

A few of have done the Tesla style on our X150's. You can read about it here.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...system-239623/

I know it's a very long read but the units come with no instructions so it was trial by fire. In the end, here's what we got and what we lost

Gain Android auto and CarPlay
Retained all factory functions except Valet mode
Anecdotally the sound system is much improved.
Rear camera (for those of us who had them as it wasn't standard on many models of the X150) is plug in play

Issues or differences:
see my post in the link #242

Bottom line, no matter where you buy (which vendor) and we have bought from 3 separate ones, they are all the same units, but differ in service. Also, mine came with a 2 year warranty where the other suppliers offer only 1 year. Looking at the link above, the same firmware is being used in the unit you'r looking at.
The actual tablet is SPRD or "Spreadrum" brand. It is unrooted (for those who don't speak android - this means you don't have Admin rights)
It really is plug and play once learned, I can swap it out with OEM in about 20 minutes or so.
Regarding the facia. It won't match, that's a fact. Painting it will probably give them a reason to void the warranty so your best bet is to wrap it with 3M vinyl wrap - maybe piano black that they sell.

TPMS is an add on - It comes with a receiver that plugs into one of the USB cables, software sent via email, sending units. There are internal and external sending unit options. All this means is internal uses the 433Mhz sending units in the tires. If you already have them (rest of the world), you probably won't need to swap them out. The external are Huge valve units that replace the valve caps. They are 3/4 inch around.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
Digritz (11-03-2023), thistle4celtic1 (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
I don't have an X250 so I don't know what the top screen is used for.

A few of have done the Tesla style on our X150's. You can read about it here.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...system-239623/

I know it's a very long read but the units come with no instructions so it was trial by fire. In the end, here's what we got and what we lost

Gain Android auto and CarPlay
Retained all factory functions except Valet mode
Anecdotally the sound system is much improved.
Rear camera (for those of us who had them as it wasn't standard on many models of the X150) is plug in play

Issues or differences:
see my post in the link #242

Bottom line, no matter where you buy (which vendor) and we have bought from 3 separate ones, they are all the same units, but differ in service. Also, mine came with a 2 year warranty where the other suppliers offer only 1 year. Looking at the link above, the same firmware is being used in the unit you'r looking at.
The actual tablet is SPRD or "Spreadrum" brand. It is unrooted (for those who don't speak android - this means you don't have Admin rights)
It really is plug and play once learned, I can swap it out with OEM in about 20 minutes or so.
Regarding the facia. It won't match, that's a fact. Painting it will probably give them a reason to void the warranty so your best bet is to wrap it with 3M vinyl wrap - maybe piano black that they sell.

TPMS is an add on - It comes with a receiver that plugs into one of the USB cables, software sent via email, sending units. There are internal and external sending unit options. All this means is internal uses the 433Mhz sending units in the tires. If you already have them (rest of the world), you probably won't need to swap them out. The external are Huge valve units that replace the valve caps. They are 3/4 inch around.
Great information, the firmware looks pretty much the same, the seller is really not helpful at all, they provide no useful information.

How does is hook up to the premium sound amplifier, does the unit have optical cable connection to the amp?

Old 01-25-2021, 06:11 PM
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Some of the later pictures in that thread show the fibre optic cables with a loop attached!
Come on Carlos were all waiting for you lol

Old 01-25-2021, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,266 Likes on 2,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Saez
Great information, the firmware looks pretty much the same, the seller is really not helpful at all, they provide no useful information.

How does is hook up to the premium sound amplifier, does the unit have optical cable connection to the amp?
on the X150, there are 3 FO lines that connect to OEM cluster. 1 for the screen, 1 for the IAM and 1 for the ICM. Two are looped out. the third is connected to the supplied CanBus box. So the amp is still supplied via the FO. There are no wires to cut though I will say one gent who has the standard entertainment setup vs premium had to connect the supplied speaker wires into the power plug. But the wires are there with the new unit and I suspect you could connect the wires for the premium sound too or just use the FO supplied.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by John Williams
Some of the later pictures in that thread show the fibre optic cables with a loop attached!
Come on Carlos were all waiting for you lol
Lol, i know I'm the guinea pig 🐷, but this seller is a nightmare i had to cancel and get refund he never sent the unit, provided fake tracking number, claimed they found some bugs, but why not say that instead of the fake tracking.... On top of that i cannot confirm heated steering wheel, in the x150 thread it's clearly there, but if you zoom in the pictures, of the x250 unit it isn't, the seller hasn't been of any help, they just say "yes it supports..." But these chinese guys just want to sell, i asked for pictures of heated steering function they sent pictures in Chinese from the settings menu, that has nothing to with what I asked for.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

Looking at the photos, the 7inch screen is in the pre facelift X250 (2009-11) and the Tesla style is in the facelift 2012 onwards. I know the sound systems were different too. Does that reflect compatibility, or are they saying that either option works with any X250?

Old 01-27-2021, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Looking at the photos, the 7inch screen is in the pre facelift X250 (2009-11) and the Tesla style is in the facelift 2012 onwards. I know the sound systems were different too. Does that reflect compatibility, or are they saying that either option works with any X250?
Tesla style is compatible for both, there are other listings, with the prefacelift model and that unit. I have confirmed it with the factory.

Digritz (11-03-2023)
Old 01-27-2021, 10:24 AM

Next thing to confirm is are they doing a r/h/d trim panel, as they must be handed!

Old 01-31-2021, 03:40 PM

Carlos.... any updates on this??

Old 02-01-2021, 03:29 PM

Nothing yet, the chinese are on their new year's holiday. No replies...

Old 02-01-2021, 07:50 PM
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi John, I also made a direct enquiry to the supplier regarding RHD. The initial correspondence was suggesting only LHD, yet on asking again, they came back with saying RHD is done with conversions in HK. I am still not 100% convinced on this being the case. I am asking my friend in China to do some research on this and make sure it is genuine. As Carlos mentioned China is in closing down mode for CNY so nothing for a few more weeks

Below is the correspondence is "Chinglish" with their sales rep on Aliexpress

Hello dear friend, The tesla screen just can fit for left hand driving.
Yes, the wood panel will in the package for intstall.
27/01 01:19

thats a shame my jag is right hand drive.
Read
27/01 01:30

Yes, make sure can fit for Right hand driving
Yes, make sure can fit for Right hand dr
Alibaba Translation
Yesterday 09:51

Hi so can you re-confirm that the centre piece is made for both left or right hand drive cars? This is very important. Jaguar is a British brand and they also sell cars with right hand drive side, UK is different to USA. Regards
Read
Yesterday 12:04

Hello friend, Confirm it can work on your right hand driving, we also install in China Hongkong right hand driving.
Yesterday 22:35

thanks for your clarification
Read

Old 02-02-2021, 08:15 PM

Thanks for helping on more information about this.
I got bored dealing with, aliexpress sellers so I got in contact with a factory. I have had some updates on some features, i got some videos and confirmation of heated steering wheel function and climate seats, but it appears there's no RHD trim yet. They even have better prices, but buying outside of aliexpress, is risky.
There's only Black trim available, I'm having a very hard time deciding, i just love the xfr dark wood and aluminium trim, not sure if I'm willing to sacrifice that for a bigger screen.

Last edited by Carlos Saez; 02-02-2021 at 08:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carlos Saez:
Digritz (11-03-2023), Nansan21 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 10:50 PM

Agree. The big screen won’t work for me unless they find a way to make it look better. So I guess I’ll do the smaller screen to retain more of a factory look. Now just waiting to see if anyone gets it and gives a good review.

I just saw this on Facebook.

can’t tell if they edited the color with software. I can’t even see the glove box button. Still ugly.

Last edited by Oxidizer2k; 02-03-2021 at 02:44 AM.
bealzabubba (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 03:47 AM

Strange that the 2 pictures are different cars, one pre-facelift & the other facelift??

Old 02-03-2021, 07:25 AM

Strange that the 2 pictures are different cars, one pre-facelift & the other facelift??
Yeah, but according to the information I got, both of these units the will fit pre and post face lift up to 2015.

As for RHD trim there's is no so the only option is, the small screen for RHD cars. Which I believe is the best choice, the trim of the big screen is just not up to the looks and quality of the original.

Wrapping is not an option, it will never look like the original, bubbles and creases will eventually show up.

Hydro dip would be an option, but it's hard to get it right I've tried doing it s few times. If the trim can be removed from the unit taking it to a hydro dip shop would be the best option.

Last edited by Carlos Saez; 02-03-2021 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Prefacelift stereo upgrade available, Tesla style.