XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Problems With Bluetooth and Ipod Interface

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems With Bluetooth and Ipod Interface

Hello Everyone,

I took delivery of my 2012 XF yesterday and I absolutely love the car! What a beast!
I have one small issue though: I hooked up my Iphone 4 to the Ipod USB plug-in and the Ipod worked fine, until I enabled Bluetooth on my phone. As soon as Bluetooth was enabled, the music stopped and the screen brought me to the phone tab. Is there anyway to have both my Ipod playing off my Iphone and to have bluetooth enabled at the same time, so that if I was to recieve a call, the music would pause and I would be directed to the phone call?

Thanks for the help!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Default Bluetooth and music interface

I have not seen that problem however, I don't have an iphone (currently using a Motorola Droid, waiting for the iphone 5 release)

In the 2012 XF, the car recognizes the bluetooth link separately for the phone and for streaming music. Look into your A/V settings and make sure your iphone connection is the default.

I don't believe your screen should switch to phone mode when connecting via bluetooth.

Even if it does switch, you should be able to select the A/V tab and start your music again.

I stream Pandora from my phone via bluetooth and the phone switches over perfectly so I can answer the phone. Not sure if this answers your question but hopefully it helps some.

Alex

Old 07-25-2012, 01:15 PM

I noticed with my '12 that when plugging in a charging source that the bluetooth streaming automatically stopped, but I believe this is a function of the iphone not the jaguar because it also happens randomly when plugging my iphone in while streaming to my jambox.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Why not just dump the music onto the iPhone?

Siriusly, the Bluetooth function probably expects you to stream the music files from the iPhone. There is likely a setting either on the phone or the car to separate the Bluetooth music streaming from the phone. Rest assured that the iPhone will interrupt the ICE system if music is playing over the ICE aspect rather than streaming from the iPhone. However, streaming music from the iPhone via Bluetooth will also result in the phone taking priority for incoming calls and selected priority when you make a call.

The iPhone pretty much makes a separate iPod obsolete.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Reading the OP, I don't think he has an IPOD. I think he's referring to the IPOD app on his IPHONE. I don't have an IPHONE or a 2012, but I would like to think he doesn't need to use the USB in 2012.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes, the iPhone needs the USB port to work its magic unless you are streaming via Bluetooth. However, I don't know why you would have an iPhone connected by Bluetooth and USB at the same time. I connect my iPhone via the AUX input for ICE and by Bluetooth for the phone functions, but that's because my 2009 does not have USB iPod connectivity.

Last edited by jagular; 07-25-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 PM

1 potential reason is charging... a long car ride of bluetooth streaming and calls will quickly drain the iphone. I personally found bt streaming/calls and cable plugged into usb port for the occasional charge works better then plugged into the "ipod" port (which is also a usb port), car/iphone seems to get confused when your connected to the "ipod" port and bt.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM

Take the above comment from me with a grain of salt, I've only had my '12 for 2 days... but its what i've observed. Both my other cars require the iphone to be plugged in for music, so I have not had a need for a 12v charger. My plan is to hardwire a charging dock into the cig lighter pocket for times i need charging.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanks for all the responses, this forum is great!

To clarify, I have an Iphone, not a separate Ipod. Could I simply stream through bluetooth? I wouldn't be able to charge at the same time then, unless I had a car charger for the Iphone. How is the sound quality from streaming on bluetooth to just pluging the Iphone into the Ipod USB hook up?

Again, thanks for all the help everyone!

Loving the new car!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM

yes you can stream over bt, and the sound quality is excellent. You can still charge but when you plug the charger in the music will automatically pause, just requiring you to hit play again on the touchscreen. I played with it more today, had a 2 hour drive. It paused every time I plugged in the ipod cable (while streaming bt) regardless if it was the "ipod" port or usb.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lweisenb
yes you can stream over bt, and the sound quality is excellent. You can still charge but when you plug the charger in the music will automatically pause, just requiring you to hit play again on the touchscreen. I played with it more today, had a 2 hour drive. It paused every time I plugged in the ipod cable (while streaming bt) regardless if it was the "ipod" port or usb.
So I have the exact same problem and have discussed it with the dealer. He says it is a known problem and Jaguar are aware of it. He calls me every few weeks to provide an update on where Jaguar are resolving it. I am not expecting a fast result from them, but you never know!

In short, the solution is to turn on the engine, then the bluetooth, then and ONLY once connected plug in the cable to iPod. It's not ideal but it does resolve the problem for now.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Default Jaguar XF 2012 ipod problems

Hi all,

I also recently took up ownership of a 2012 XF. I to had the same issue when playing music via my iPhone connected via cable. The music would stop after 1 minute and i would have to unplug and reconnect.
There was no problem when connected solely via bluetooth, only downside with
connecting via bluetooth is that you do not get the browse option.
Here is a fix.
Connect via cable. Then connect the phone on the main screen to the iPod connection. Turn off bluetooth connectivity in car, (Not the one on the phone) and your music will play uninterrupted. You will still be able to use your phone through the car as normal via the cable.
If you leave the bluetooth on the iPhone switched to on it will reconnect as usual when you get in your car but you will have to repeat the process again for uninterrupted music via cable.
I have been told this is only a problem with early 2012 models and later 2012 models have been modified.
Lets hope they bring out a firmware upgrade soon.

Awesome car.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, I don't understand the instructions you have posted. How do I turn the Bluetooth "off" on the car?

This situation is driving me nuts and ruining an otherwise brilliant car.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 AM
Default XF 2012 iphone Connection

Hi Musicscramble.
Very sorry i gave the wrong instruction in my last post. I have tested it out again this weekend and this is what you should do.
Turn off bluetooth on your Iphone.
Connect via cable.
Switch on your Audio main screen or start car.
Go to My Music.
Press on the + button next to My music.
Then select IPod.
This will give you uninterrupted music. Your phone will still receive incoming and outgoing calls via the cable.
If you want to play the iPod without the cable. Simply switch Bluetooth back on
the iPhone and select the bluetooth tab under My music.
If you leave the bluetooth switched on, the Iphone when you next get in your car the audio system will automatically search for you phone and connect via bluetooth.
You then need to repeat the process if you want uninterrupted music.
Let me know how you get on.