XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Procedure for removing and installing valve stem oil seal 5.0 SC

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 06:28 PM
|
Default Procedure for removing and installing valve stem oil seal 5.0 SC

Jag sells the part (number 11 in the picture below), but I can't find anything anywhere on the procedure for removing and installing the valve stem oil seals.

Hoping someone can provide some advices for how to go about this. Is there a special tool required?

Before I get in there and start yanking on them with valve seal pliers, I want to make sure. And, once I get them out, how do I put the new ones in?

Old Today | 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Very good question! I can't find much about this is any manual I have so I hope someone can add to what I have posted below?
There is a tool listed for removing the seals but again I can't even find the tool so I have to wonder if it's necessary and does anyone actually use it? I don't think so from what I can find?

Those special pliers labeled 303-88 are what I can't find? I have always used regular pliers to remove the old seals and your new seals (Depending on what style they are?) should come with an installation tool which is just a simple tube that touches on the outside perimeter of the seal pushing it down evenly all the way around. If not just use the right sized deep socket as the install tool.

Do you have the seals already?

Old Today | 09:32 AM
|

Thanks @clubairth1 ! This is exactly what I was looking for. Great find!

Where on earth did you get it? I looked everywhere for this, even ordered an hour of a Topix subscription. No luck there, AllData or full PDF manual you can download in the forum.

i just assumed JLR decided valve seals were another non-serviceable part and wants to just replace the entire head assembly.

Seals are on order from Lucky5 off-road —a Range Rover parts supplier, who sells a 32-pack of oem seals for $85, which was the best price I could find.

looks like this valve sealer/installer from Amazon should do the trick Valve Sealer Removal/Installer kit

I will report back with results.

Old Today | 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Yes that is a fancy tool! Should have enough adapters to fit what your working on I think?

Yes it was hard to find as valve stem seals are not mentioned very much if at all? The tiny bit I did find was from 2010 XFR manual that has been posted before.
I would post it but it's 60 MB and too large for uploads. Now it is somewhere on this forum?

Found it! This web site has a TON of free Jaguar downloads and you should find what you want. It has the manual I found those pictures in too.
JagRepair.Com Manuals