XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Process to change plugs for 5.0L XF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 05:31 PM
Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ozguy
Thanks for the advice on the clips @kansanbrit . I'm not sure you sent the right link. I read all the posts (amazing work on the timing/cams!), but could not find anything helpful. Not even a reference to "Xander".

Do I need to remove/move the wires to free up the fuel lines enough to get to the injectors? Seems I also need to disconnect the stainless steel fuel line that crosses the top of the engine from the inlet manifold from what I can see.
Sorry not Xander, Xposure, must have been thinking golf 😁. He just did his timing chains so would have had to do what you are attempting and then some. You need to disconnect the fuel lines from the injector rails that's for sure.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I found this excellent FAQ to remove the fuel injectors from "Itismejoshy", which got me to the point of taking off the Fuel rail.

I've disconnected the plastic wiring cover that sits over the fuel rail, disconnected the stainless steel fuel line from the fuel rail, and have removed the 4 bolts (1 per injector) that holds the fuel rail in place.

Using hand strength (not a weakling, can't get a good grip all the way along) I cannot get the fuel rail off of the injectors, not even get it loose. Any tricks to getting the fuel rail off? Anything else holding it down?

Last step before pulling the injectors, servicing them, and refitting them!

Thanks,

Al

Old 08-11-2022, 07:52 AM

The fuel rail can be very difficult to remove as the injector o-rings dry out and glue themselves to the inside of the metal. You have to try and get some kind of lever in there and starting at one end try to lever the whole rail upwards. Can be very difficult but not as difficult as removing the injectors in my experience. (Just preparing you.)

Old 08-19-2022, 02:43 PM

@kansanbrit I really had to use a lot of force to get the fuel rail off. Considering that it's only held onto the injectors by their 4 rubber grommets it was really difficult. Anyway I got it off. Have cleaned the injectors and have replaced it all back in the engine.

I now have 2 issues.

I'm putting everything back together and went to reattach the expansion tank coolant sensor, and have found that the sensor connector on the expansion tank has fallen off into the engine somewhere (likely in the under engine shield), while I was moving it around I guess. I'm buying a new tank with the sensor connector to fix that (not much price difference to buying just the sensor, and wanted a qujicker delivery time).

When I start the engine I now get a P0232 (Fuel pump relay) error code. When I was emptying the fuel rails I did remove the fuel pump relay fuse (Number 25 in boot/trunk fuse box), and i did put it back in when I was ready to start the engine after the fuel system was back together. I've cleared the code, but it comes straight back. What could it be?

Engine idles fine. I'm not going to drive it until I have replaced the expansion tank in a few days. What could it be?

Old 08-20-2022, 05:04 PM

sure you put the fuse back in the correct location?

Old 08-20-2022, 06:07 PM

As I recall I did replace it in the correct location. If I hadn't, then the engine would not have gotten the fuel to start and run. I'll go back and check that I had put it back correctly, and also check that the fuse is not damaged somehow.

<BITCH MODE ON> It would be so much easier to manage fuses, if JLR could have managed to number the fuse slots, or at least number the top of each column of fuses, then it would be far more manageable.

If it wasn't that there were 2 other fuses (making 3 in a row with the pump fuse) in proximity then I would not have had a clue which was the fuel pump fuse. I checked everywhere. The manual has no image or diagram, and nor was there a diagram on the back of the fuse cover.
<BITCH MODE OFF>

Old 08-21-2022, 06:30 PM

Don't forget there are high pressure fuel pumps too which may give enough fuel to start. And I think the fuses are labeled with a number, just very small.

Old 08-21-2022, 09:21 PM

@kansanbrit The high pressure pumps are mechanical, so no specific fuses for them, but upon searching the engine bay fuse box (in the manual) I found that there's a fuel injector fuse (number F44 blue 15amp), so I pulled it out, checked for burnout (looked good), and then replaced it. That seemed to fix the P0232 error code though, so thanks for the advice

Cylinder 4 is still having misfire issues though (P0304) is showing up, so I fixed 2 cylinders, but not that one, so I've ordered new fuel injectors for the cylinders 2, 4, and 6 (no way I can work on cylinder 8), and 4 coils, and new plugs. Thanks fully I haven't replaced all of the surrounding panels yet, so shouldn't take too long. Just 5 days wait for the parts.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by ozguy
@kansanbrit The high pressure pumps are mechanical, so no specific fuses for them, but upon searching the engine bay fuse box (in the manual) I found that there's a fuel injector fuse (number F44 blue 15amp), so I pulled it out, checked for burnout (looked good), and then replaced it. That seemed to fix the P0232 error code though, so thanks for the advice

Cylinder 4 is still having misfire issues though (P0304) is showing up, so I fixed 2 cylinders, but not that one, so I've ordered new fuel injectors for the cylinders 2, 4, and 6 (no way I can work on cylinder 8), and 4 coils, and new plugs. Thanks fully I haven't replaced all of the surrounding panels yet, so shouldn't take too long. Just 5 days wait for the parts.
I would try swapping coils and plugs between 2 and 4 first. See if error moves to 2.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:55 PM

OK, so now putting the engine surround panels back together after changing the plugs (they were still fine after 40k as predicted), replacing the coils, replacing the injectors with new, and replacing the coolant overflow tank.

No error codes, and will keep checking for a while.

Thanks to @kansanbrit for all of the advise and input, from a fellow commonwealthian (aussie), and thanks as well to @NBCat and @chris.schneider for their advice as well.

Next on the list will be a a full brake job (hope the disks are OK after 40k),
oil engine flush oil engine flush
and change, and a coolant flush and replace. I did also buy a fuel filter, so may add that to the list.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:21 PM

Good job Aussie 😁😁