XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Product survey and suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Product survey and suggestions.

Hi all,

I have been asked by our engineering department to ask you to review some of the ideas that may find their way into our vehicles in the very near future. We would appreciate your feedback and suggestions. Please take some time to fill out the survey below.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...cVZkSkdMRkE6MQ

Thanks and regards,
Kelly

Old 03-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I filled it out.

For these two questions both answers are the same so they don't make any sense. Basically you state you would use rotary controls/hard keys no matter what in both questions. It should be one or the other or it's not really a valid question. Personally I use the screen for everything. I don't use any physical buttons but there is no option for that.

Which of the following Statements is true? (Irrespective of the car you currently drive)
  • I would use the Rotary Controls more than the screen controls for CLIMATE
  • I would never use the screen controls for CLIMATE

Which of the following Statements is true? (Irrespective of the car you currently drive)
  • I would use the Hard Keys more than the screen controls for SEAT Temperature
  • I would never use the screen controls for SEAT Temperature

Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi Blackcoog

I have passed your comments on to the engineering department. Thank you for your input.

Kind regards,
Kelly

Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
I filled it out.

For these two questions both answers are the same so they don't make any sense. Basically you state you would use rotary controls/hard keys no matter what in both questions. It should be one or the other or it's not really a valid question. Personally I use the screen for everything. I don't use any physical buttons but there is no option for that.

• I would use the Rotary Controls more than the screen controls for CLIMATE
  • I would never use the screen controls for CLIMATE

• I would use the Hard Keys more than the screen controls for SEAT Temperature
  • I would never use the screen controls for SEAT Temperature
Let us hope Jaguar never removes the hard switches. The "third option" always available is to skip the question if "none of the answers apply".

Old 03-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

They have already have moved most functions to the screen and we know they will eventually move all of them. It's cheaper and it will save console space. It makes sense as long as it works. I've never had an issue with the climate or seat controls via the screen. Most people will set the climate control and rarely touch it.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 261 Posts

Have to disagree. Touch screens are just about the dumbest way to operate the majority of ancillary controls. Car manufacturers only do so because they feel compelled to fit 7 inch Satnav screens which take up valuable real estate formerly used for switches.

Ergonomic controls need to be operable without taking your eyes off the road, manifestly impossible with any sort of screen. At least a touch screen is intuitive, the German obsession with idrive type controllers is completely bone headed, you have to watch the screen AND manipulate a switch.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Kyu
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey kelly
I think it is great that You and your engineer department is taking interest into what us the consumers think. I wanted thank you all for taking your time into getting our inputs

Originally Posted by jagular
Have to disagree. Touch screens are just about the dumbest way to operate the majority of ancillary controls. Car manufacturers only do so because they feel compelled to fit 7 inch Satnav screens which take up valuable real estate formerly used for switches.

Ergonomic controls need to be operable without taking your eyes off the road, manifestly impossible with any sort of screen. At least a touch screen is intuitive, the German obsession with idrive type controllers is completely bone headed, you have to watch the screen AND manipulate a switch.
I agree to a certain extent, As I love my touch screen.
I hated BMW's Interface. Dear God drove me nuts when I couldnt get out of menu or went too far out of menu and had to go back in.
I love that jag added quick buttons /Phone/Nav/Menu and then the Voice (Which drives me nuts when people in the car are talking)

the headsup display on certain car makers help with the navigation of the menus
So ! i'm hoping Jag will bring some good and large sized fonts headsup display.

I want more touch in the interior, just scares me on the repair cost once warranties over