XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Pulled the trigger on my first Jag

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pulled the trigger on my first Jag

New member here, but have lurked in this site for quite a while. I have been research the XF for over 2 years and have finally pulled the trigger on a 2011 XF Supercharged that should be delivered on Monday. I wanted to introduce myself and say hi and looking forward to not only getting it, but providing my first impressions as well. I've owned a lot of niche cars over the years and have loved the new direction Jag is going since the XF was released. (Phaeton, NSX, 928 S4, CLS 500, etc.)

One thing that I did want to ask is that I have notice that since I have registered, I am not able to see any linked picture attachments or any linked attachments for that matter. I was trying to look up the sticky posts for spec sheets, but it said I didn't have permission. The same goes for any post that some has a linked picture. Anybody know why I am unable to view them or why I wouldn't have permission?

Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you have to post more or be on for a certain amount of time before you can view pics, same thing happened to me. Welcome to the Forum. Great choice, I also have the XFSC.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking into the XF as well and will be anxious to hear your reviews on it. I would be looking to purchase a used 2009 or 10 that is certified. Thanks for your post and welcome to this forum. It's a great site, helpful and intertaining at times.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 PM

Gary, I will absolutely do that. I have to tell you that I have driven them all in my extensive research. XF, Premium, S/C, and XFR. One thing I can say is if you are looking used, I would absolutely do a 2010 vs a 2009. I have heard for the XF as well as any first model release that the initial year usually has a few more new car kinks to work out and they seemed to get better the longer they made them. Also depending upon the model too. 2009 Supercharged is a completely different engine than the 2010 on. If you can possibly wait for a used 2011, you will get the extra year of warranty that the 2010's didn't have plus free maintenance I believe...well worth it to me.

I liked the 300 HP XF Luxury or Premium 2009 or Luxury only 2010 which had adequate power, not great but adequate. The 385 HP 2010 Luxury Premium was a huge step above the 300 HP engine IMO....the 470 HP supercharged was a quantum leap over anything and the XFR was sick. I think the only performance difference I would tell off the bat for the XFR was the feel and the seats were excellent. (loved the aesthetic differences as well)

I was supposed to have the car today but had issue with the shipping company so I am going out of my mind waiting for this car.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

welcome jlindy, man...I don't know how you're going to get any sleep this weekend, may I suggest finding a designated driver, have more than a few beverages, and before you know it, the hangover is vanishing and the transport will be pulling into town. Seriously, it is hard waiting on something so desirable...but do your best.

Oh yah, check out the link my sig, it'll explain all of the limited access protocols in place and when they are released. Enjoy your stay!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
welcome jlindy, man...I don't know how you're going to get any sleep this weekend, may I suggest finding a designated driver, have more than a few beverages, and before you know it, the hangover is vanishing and the transport will be pulling into town. Seriously, it is hard waiting on something so desirable...but do your best.

Oh yah, check out the link my sig, it'll explain all of the limited access protocols in place and when they are released. Enjoy your stay!
Thanks for the info and I guess the wait for full access is acceptable. I mean I am already waiting three more days for the car so what's the big deal about not posting pics for a few days.

Car forums are such a great source of information, but also scare the crap out of me sometimes with all these random reported issues. I know that the XF's and the later models in particular have really stepped it up in the reliability department so really hoping that my experience will be as good as some of my other cars. My main concern is that the only local dealership is in the process of being sold and hope someone else continues Jaguar or another dealership picks it up, especially when it comes to service. Wonder what I will do if they have no Jaguar in St. Louis altogether.

Owned many Mercedes and have never had an issue. My M5 was always in the shop. My Phaeton had all sorts of electrical gremlins but was overall very good. My 928 S4 was a nightmare but probably more due to the age than the vehicle I think. My NSX was bulletproof and one of the most enjoyable vehicles I have ever driven. Warned about Land Rover reliability but my LR3 was perfect with no issues. Really hope my Jaguar is a relatively trouble free vehicle for me because I LOVE how it drives.

Is it Monday yet?????

Old 04-16-2011, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

I wish you have a very brilliant experience with your Jaguar Ownership . I like Phaetons but also heard of some horror stories about them . Mercedes Benz never let us down as well

Old 04-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

We have a 2000 XJ8 that runs like a champ but we dropped alot of money into it last year - timing chain tensioners (upgraded from plastic crap ones that split up the stem; replaced cracked (Ford) bell housing and rebuilt trans and replaced coolant rails. Head was spinning after the cost. But aside from earlier than expected maintenance the Jag has always been trouble free. Also have 08 LR2 that is completely trouble free. Toyota Land Cruiser just hit 201k miles and is also fantastic. Older cars are doing well too - 89 911 runs strong. Unlike your 928 S4, my 81 928S (16 valve no interference) runs great. Just redid the leather on the interior. Only mystery is why left channel goes out after around an hour. The 2010 XF we got on a leap of faith has been very reliable. I will probably move up a model after this lease is over as the XF is definitely a keeper. Also, had the new XJ for a day. Love the interior but it's just too big of car for me and I'm not too worried about a tight back for passengers as we just the L/C for long trips anyway.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 PM

Ok people, WOW is all I have to say. Just sick! Long story short with a good ending, the car didn't get picked up by the transport on Friday due to hail and bad weather so the dealer kept it inside. (Thank God) Truck picked it up on Saturday afternoon, but still managed to get here a day early so I got it this afternoon. What a machine and just pulls like a mother. The drive is just wonderful as well. I am getting used to learning all the tech stuff right now but have most all of it down already. Synch'd my iPhone with no problems and works great as well as the iPod portion of the phone. By the way, I read that it won't charge while hooked up by my 3GS charges just fine.

As others have said, my only complaints deal with the infotainment system and how it integrates with everything. A bit clunky and slow but I can manage. Don't see why the only way to turn on my seat heaters/coolers through the touch screen, but oh well. The sound and feel of the engine is all I need. Very impressed as i new I would be.

Two things I am still looking to do:

1. read that you can check the oil electronically since there is no dipstick. I didn't see a way to do that. Scared of letting it go too long without checking especially with a supercharger under the hood.
2. I thought the door sill "Jaguar" on the floor lighted up when you entered the car. Is that only on the "R"? Thought I saw it on another S/C.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlindy
Ok people, WOW is all I have to say. Just sick! Long story short with a good ending, the car didn't get picked up by the transport on Friday due to hail and bad weather so the dealer kept it inside. (Thank God) Truck picked it up on Saturday afternoon, but still managed to get here a day early so I got it this afternoon. What a machine and just pulls like a mother. The drive is just wonderful as well. I am getting used to learning all the tech stuff right now but have most all of it down already. Synch'd my iPhone with no problems and works great as well as the iPod portion of the phone. By the way, I read that it won't charge while hooked up by my 3GS charges just fine.

As others have said, my only complaints deal with the infotainment system and how it integrates with everything. A bit clunky and slow but I can manage. Don't see why the only way to turn on my seat heaters/coolers through the touch screen, but oh well. The sound and feel of the engine is all I need. Very impressed as i new I would be.

Two things I am still looking to do:

1. read that you can check the oil electronically since there is no dipstick. I didn't see a way to do that. Scared of letting it go too long without checking especially with a supercharger under the hood.
2. I thought the door sill "Jaguar" on the floor lighted up when you entered the car. Is that only on the "R"? Thought I saw it on another S/C.

Not sure about #1 but the lighted floor comes as an option its not standard on any of the XF's (pretty sure its not on the XFR). I think the dealer can install it.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

It's an expensive dealer option. I looked into it as a DIY project but backed away as you need to pull some panels and splice some wiring and that's not so easy with new cars.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I am a new owner too. Well, soon to be, as the car isn't here yet. I decided on the XFR as I wanted to get as close to performance as I could to the e60 M5. I am getting out of my e39 M5 at about 115k relatively trouble-free miles, looking to upgrade performance and comfort. Apparently a lot of ex-M5 owners are getting into XFRs or XF Superchargeds. My M5 sounded sweet because it had a Tubi exhaust, so I'm getting a Quicksilver for the XFR.

The lighted doorsills are a dealer installed option and the price varies a bit depending on your negotiations but ballpark $1K or less, installed. The inability to dipstick check bothers me but I guess I'll just have to trust the system. I'm also hoping that I don't miss shifting manually. I will post back once I have some miles on the car. Really looking forward to this.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry, double post, so hopefully moderator will delete this.

Last edited by Need4Spd; 04-22-2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Computer malfunction