XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

put in the denso plugs by myself and changed out 3 rotors and ebc pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default put in the denso plugs by myself and changed out 3 rotors and ebc pads

so since 9am this morning i was working on this car. i must say holy [deleted] was it a pain in the ***, i just finally got home and not even done. what the [deleted] is going on here with this car why is it so hard to work on. first off let me say this. the plugs we rent as bad as i thought theyd be. it was just real tight on the passenger sight and the driver side wasn't as bad as the passenger side, took me about 45 mints to do all 8.
now for the [deleted]in worst part of this [deleted] was the rotors. these [deleted] were on soooo tight i had to hit em with the hammer and buy special penetrating oil in a can and lube it up and smack the rotors with the hammer, honestly i had no [deleted]in clue what i was doin and someguy next to me in the lane helped me out. then i had to take the calipers off, the front ones werent as bad jsut time consuming again, and he put on the pads and the new rotors. the rear caliper was the hardest, ive already spent [deleted] near 4 hours on the other [deleted] and not on the rear caliper, and the [deleted]in ebc pad for the back didnt fit on right cus of these two little bumps, i had to sand them down and modify em for them to fit on properly, sooo tomorrow i will be back in that shop to do the last caliper and hopefully if a lift is opened change out the oil. i changed the oil 3k miles ago with full synthetic so now i will do it again just to make sure its good to go, and wont change the oil until dec probably, or 7 thousand miles with this kandell 5w-30 full synthetic oil.

now when i was driving home the pads felt good, braking was superb, just noisy which the manual said so so im not worried, and a big wind noise, not sure where the wind noise is from, but after i change the other [deleted] of a rotor out tomorrow i will drive the car around town and see how good it is. im not driving it anywhere tonight. also when i got out the car at my house from hte drive i smelled something burning not sure if it was from outside or the cars new calipers or rotors or spark plugs, does anybody know if anyone those i mentioned produce a smell when brand new?

Attached Thumbnails put in the denso plugs by myself and changed out 3 rotors and ebc pads-engine.jpg   put in the denso plugs by myself and changed out 3 rotors and ebc pads-engine-2.jpg  

Last edited by plums; 07-07-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: keep it clean
Old 07-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New pads will make some noise and smell a tad. It's more than likely the pads bedding. Nothing to worry about. Sounds like a long day of work!!

Last edited by plums; 07-07-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Banned

ya full of sweat and blood, banged up some fingers and hand, and black carbon all over my body and cloths. im assuming its carbon stuff. next time if i ever change rotors and pads on any vehicle im taking it to a professional installation, this is not worth the time and hurt ache

Old 07-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

The original post has been edited to remove profanity. Problems caused by autocomplete inserting incorrect words have been left untouched.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

How did you re-set the EPB?

How did you get the new pads in without resetting the EPB?

The wind noise is probably from the slotted rotors you were so keen on.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jagular
How did you re-set the EPB?

How did you get the new pads in without resetting the EPB?

The wind noise is probably from the slotted rotors you were so keen on.
text deleted

Last edited by plums; 07-08-2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: profanity not needed
Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Banned

tomorrow im going to change out the last rotor and change the oil.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Really sounds like you have a complete grasp of how to work on your Jaguar

Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Which EBC pads did you go with? I have tried the 'red stuff' pads and they did NOT hold up to a track day with slicks.

The best pad I have found for racing is Posi-quiet Ceramics.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Banned

what is a epb?

Old 07-08-2012, 07:37 AM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jagfinityguy
what is a epb?
Electric Parking Brake.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Sanding off little bumps-Not a good solution

1. The face of the pistons on the rear calipers may have slot's that orientate with the pins ("bumps") that you sanded of on the brake pads.
  2. The pistons probably thread in instead of just compressing them back in the bore which requires a special tool that they loan for free at Auto-zone.
  3. If the piston should have been threaded into the rear calipers, you seriously damaged that caliper which will result in the pads dragging on the rotor giving you a noticeable smell and burn up the pad and rotor.
  4. The electric parking brake needs to be reset to be calibrated so it works and the pads don't drag on the rotor.
  5. Worst case scenario one rear caliper is ruined, one pair of rear pads are ruined and based on your performance you will ruin the other caliper and brake pads.
Secondarily you have to be kidding with the use of the English language and how you ask for help. Your diction and bigoted behavior is an insult to all American's of all races and nationalities, parents worldwide and reflects particularly poorly on the State of Maryland and it's educational system.
In translation to bring this comment down: "You (deleted) (deleted) You (deleted) up your ride big-time. Sweet."

Last edited by edobernig; 07-08-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by edobernig
  1. The face of the pistons on the rear calipers may have slot's that orientate with the pins ("bumps") that you sanded of on the brake pads.
  2. The pistons probably thread in instead of just compressing them back in the bore which requires a special tool that they loan for free at Auto-zone.
  3. If the piston should have been threaded into the rear calipers, you seriously damaged that caliper which will result in the pads dragging on the rotor giving you a noticeable smell and burn up the pad and rotor.
  4. The electric parking brake needs to be reset to be calibrated so it works and the pads don't drag on the rotor.
  5. Worst case scenario one rear caliper is ruined, one pair of rear pads are ruined and based on your performance you will ruin the other caliper and brake pads.
Secondarily you have to be kidding with the use of the English language and how you ask for help. Your diction and bigoted behavior is an insult to all American's of all races and nationalities, parents worldwide and reflects particularly poorly on the State of Maryland and it's educational system.
In translation to bring this comment down: "You (deleted) (deleted) You (deleted) up your ride big-time. Sweet."
Favorite comment thus far.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

The poor car........... I would used have the 'train wreck' thingy if there was one.

OP-

edobernig's comments were spot on. Please step back, take a breath and listen to the more knowledgeable guys here.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
vs2
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was going to watch a replay of UFC 148 - Sonnen vs Silva but this is better...lol

jagfinitiguy take your car to a mechanic who knows these cars and tell him exactly what you have done so he can fix and redo it all, right down to the correct torque settings for everthing including the spark plugs.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by edobernig
done ... please use the report button when this user tries signing up again.

locked as there is no point in continuuing the thread.

Last edited by plums; 07-08-2012 at 03:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
edobernig (07-09-2012), Swimref (07-10-2012)