XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

A question regarding XFR price and reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013 | 09:38 PM
ory
|
Default A question regarding XFR price and reliability

Hello, I currently drive a BMW 750 an am looking for something different. Test drove a 2012 XFR demo today and was really impressed. My questions:

1. Are the 2012 XFR reliable cars? I know that Jags came a long way, but would like to hear from current owners as I plan to purchase (not lease) and hold on to the car for at least 4-5 years.
2. Is 20K off MSRP for a 2012 demo an OK deal?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-23-2013 | 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

How many miles on the car? Will it come with the full four year warranty? I have had my XF SC for a year and 6k miles with no issues so far.

Old 03-23-2013 | 09:11 AM
ory
|

No, the warranty started a year ago so only 3 years left. It has 1800 miles now. What makes no sense to me is why has the warranty started if the car hasn't been registered yet.

Old 03-23-2013 | 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar realized they mistakenly offered too much warranty for no reason. The XF sold well in other places with less warranty and turned out to be extremely well built. Apart from a couple of significant problems, not mechanical failures but electronic glitches, the XF is much better than any BMW for reliability.

Old 03-23-2013 | 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ory
No, the warranty started a year ago so only 3 years left. It has 1800 miles now. What makes no sense to me is why has the warranty started if the car hasn't been registered yet.
With my '11 XF SC the warranty had started and the car had only 100 miles. My dealer explained that Jagaur offered to have the dealers "buy" the cars at a discount to the dealer, taking them off of Jags books. Many dealers did this and put the cars into service. The '11's weren't selling well in particular at the time so they were trying to move them.

I believe this practice exists with other car manufacturer's. Because mine was an '11 with 5 years of warranty, I ended up with 50 months due to the purchase by a dealer.

What's the MSRP on the car you are looking at?

Old 03-23-2013 | 12:25 PM

My 2012 XF-SC has 8100 miles on it and no problems so far.

Old 03-23-2013 | 10:29 PM
ory
|

Originally Posted by jaguny
With my '11 XF SC the warranty had started and the car had only 100 miles. My dealer explained that Jagaur offered to have the dealers "buy" the cars at a discount to the dealer, taking them off of Jags books. Many dealers did this and put the cars into service. The '11's weren't selling well in particular at the time so they were trying to move them.

I believe this practice exists with other car manufacturer's. Because mine was an '11 with 5 years of warranty, I ended up with 50 months due to the purchase by a dealer.

What's the MSRP on the car you are looking at?
82K. I offered 60K but no go.

Old 03-24-2013 | 12:42 PM
Kyu

I'm also a BMW guy and still do own bmw's a 2011 135i full option, and previous car was a e90 m3.
The way I drive my cars my bmw's gave out giving me problems. The dct on my m3 was giving me problems as well, nothing big but I got tired of going to service back and forth.
I originally did not ever look at a jag as my supercharged range rover was always at the dealers service. But after seeing how disappointing the German market was, tested the f10 m5 , and Audi s6. He'll I even tried a loaner used c63 and. E63
Only car that was ok was the c63 but felt a bit off. The m3 felt more like what I wanted.

I took a look at jag xf because they're so beautiful. In my eyes anyways. Everyone experiences differently with every car make. Fans will praise their makes and talk negatively of other makes. So I decided to get a jag 5.0 sc. Didn't want to get an "R" as a test own car.
I got Alittle over 5k miles now and till this day I sti get impressed with what the car offers.
I didn't expect performance to be this good and smooth why being so aggressive.
I have no regrets yet, other than I didn't just go for the "R" first. I'm definately going to go for an "R" next or an "RS" . The car is that good. The lower end models offer less performance suspension, etc etc. but if u go for the Xfr u'll enjoy it. I drove it like a track car on a open back road and found it astonishing. But from a 750i to an Xfr u will notice the small space difference. Xf feels more like a 3 series. If ure ok with that

I havnt had any problems so far , and by the words of other owners and mechs it looks like it'll give me much less in terms of problems and shop visits. When the xf came out , it put a new name and meaning to jags in my opinion. Opened a new door for a large variety of owners

If u can get 60k will be a hell of a bargain, have u looked on the net ? A few are close to thst

Old 03-24-2013 | 05:31 PM
ory
|

Originally Posted by Kyu
I'm also a BMW guy and still do own bmw's a 2011 135i full option, and previous car was a e90 m3.
The way I drive my cars my bmw's gave out giving me problems. The dct on my m3 was giving me problems as well, nothing big but I got tired of going to service back and forth.
I originally did not ever look at a jag as my supercharged range rover was always at the dealers service. But after seeing how disappointing the German market was, tested the f10 m5 , and Audi s6. He'll I even tried a loaner used c63 and. E63
Only car that was ok was the c63 but felt a bit off. The m3 felt more like what I wanted.

I took a look at jag xf because they're so beautiful. In my eyes anyways. Everyone experiences differently with every car make. Fans will praise their makes and talk negatively of other makes. So I decided to get a jag 5.0 sc. Didn't want to get an "R" as a test own car.
I got Alittle over 5k miles now and till this day I sti get impressed with what the car offers.
I didn't expect performance to be this good and smooth why being so aggressive.
I have no regrets yet, other than I didn't just go for the "R" first. I'm definately going to go for an "R" next or an "RS" . The car is that good. The lower end models offer less performance suspension, etc etc. but if u go for the Xfr u'll enjoy it. I drove it like a track car on a open back road and found it astonishing. But from a 750i to an Xfr u will notice the small space difference. Xf feels more like a 3 series. If ure ok with that

I havnt had any problems so far , and by the words of other owners and mechs it looks like it'll give me much less in terms of problems and shop visits. When the xf came out , it put a new name and meaning to jags in my opinion. Opened a new door for a large variety of owners

If u can get 60k will be a hell of a bargain, have u looked on the net ? A few are close to thst
Thank you for the interesting post. I, for the most part, love my 7 but when I test drove the XJ sc, I was so blown away…. I feel that the XFR is the kind of car i truly would like and it's good to know that they can be reliable. Btw, where have you seen 2012 XFRs for close to 60K? I see them at 65K now.

Old 03-24-2013 | 09:27 PM
drc
Default reliability

Originally Posted by ory
Hello, I currently drive a BMW 750 an am looking for something different. Test drove a 2012 XFR demo today and was really impressed. My questions:

1. Are the 2012 XFR reliable cars? I know that Jags came a long way, but would like to hear from current owners as I plan to purchase (not lease) and hold on to the car for at least 4-5 years.
2. Is 20K off MSRP for a 2012 demo an OK deal?

Thanks in advance!
Jags are more reliable than Mercs and BMW's. Jags have always been more reliable or just as good. I don't know how Mercedes and BMW escaped getting a bad rap like Jag did in the 7o's. My dad's Mercedes were always in the shop. I had a BMW 2002 and I replaced everything that could be replaced on that car. It was a pile of !@#$. I finally sold it and bought a Toyota truck.I have owned four Jag R models and have never had any kind of serious problems and very few small problems. My Tahoe has had many more problems. Do yourself a favor and buy a XFR, you will love it and you'll save a lot of money too! You won't be seeing your car multiple times a day either. You can drive for a year or more without seeing another R model Jag. We'd love to have another member on the forum!

Old 03-24-2013 | 09:40 PM
ory
|

Originally Posted by drc
Jags are more reliable than Mercs and BMW's. Jags have always been more reliable or just as good. I don't know how Mercedes and BMW escaped getting a bad rap like Jag did in the 7o's. My dad's Mercedes were always in the shop. I had a BMW 2002 and I replaced everything that could be replaced on that car. It was a pile of !@#$. I finally sold it and bought a Toyota truck.I have owned four Jag R models and have never had any kind of serious problems and very few small problems. My Tahoe has had many more problems. Do yourself a favor and buy a XFR, you will love it and you'll save a lot of money too! You won't be seeing your car multiple times a day either. You can drive for a year or more without seeing another R model Jag. We'd love to have another member on the forum!
That's is probably true (about MB/BMW). I owned a 2007 E63 that was very badly put together and was always in the shop + crappy service.
I am in my 3rd BMW and things aren't as bad. Anyways I just test drove a certified 2010 XFR with 28K miles going for 48K. I love the car. Was surprised that the gimicky air vents were not synchronized and that the driver's seat showed excessive wear. Other than that and a few rattles the car was as solid as my 2011 750. The suspension seemed firmer than the 2012 I test drove and I wonder if they softened things up a bit with the refresh. Not bothered too much by the cosmetic differences between the 10' and 12' and this car is more affordable for me. Anything I need to know about the 2010 XFR?

Old 03-25-2013 | 07:56 AM
Veteran Member

Make them fix the vents if it's at a dealer and you want to jump on it. There is a how to on the forum somewhere for fixing the issue so I wouldn't worry about it. You can also turn the vent movement off so they stay open.

Old 03-25-2013 | 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Vents not synchronized means what? They all operate on individual motors so are not synchronized to open in perfect unison (at would be expensive to arrange!).

They are supposed to open together. If one lags noticeably behind it is faulty and should be repaired before you buy.