XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Questions (Tires & Brakes)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Questions (Tires & Brakes)

My XFR was in the shop for a new battery. Apparently the battery on this car only lasts about 5 years. With that said the shop stated I would be needing new brakes and tires.

I currently have Continental DWS tires but have not been impressed with them. What brand and type tire do you guys recommend? I live on the East Coast so we do get all types of weather (Snow/Sleet/Rain).

Also I had the rear brakes changed 2 years ago. Have about 22k miles on the current set (OEM). Do the rear brakes wear out faster than then front ones? My fronts are the original with the car currently at 46k miles.

My driving style is mostly easy go driving with ample distance and minimal brake checking.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:42 AM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

Yes, the back brakes wear out 50% faster than fronts because the bias is more to the back (brakes first when pedal is applied) to reduce nose dive, and the traction control uses the back brakes to reduce wheel spin.

If you get 20K on a set of rears, you are doing good and 40K on front is also about right.

As far as tires, I bet you do not want to go with a summer tire since you live out east.

Continental has a newer "Extreme Contact DWS" tire out. It is the "Extreme Contact DWS 06" and is better than the older DWS model. Should be around $1000 for a set at Discount Tire.

Nitto also makes a decent all-season tire, They make the "Nitto Motivo" tire in 255/35/20 from front and 295/30/20 for rear (same size as stock XF-RS rears). They will be around $900 for a set at Discount Tire.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

If you want the best performance out of a 3 season tire, then your best choice is the Micheline Pilot Sport AS3 Plus. These tires actually outperform some summer tires in grip and steering feel and they last pretty long. A car of this caliber deserves Michelins, everything else is a compromise.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:42 PM

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the Michelin AS3's.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:18 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Get the AS3+ if you go with Michelin. The latest "+" is greatly improved over the older AS3.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by kiddhan625
Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the Michelin AS3's.
I have these and they are very good in both the dry and the wet. Very quiet and handle great.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

I have an XF SC (the 5.0 supercharged) and like you I’m on the east coast. I’d strongly recommend separate summer and winter tires. Much better performance in the cold and snowy winter. And much nicer in spring/summer to not be in an all season
And if you put the winters on some old rims it protects your nice wheels from the terrible pot holes and messy roads in the winter

Old 10-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My XFR was in the shop for a new battery. Apparently the battery on this car only lasts about 5 years. With that said the shop stated I would be needing new brakes and tires.

I currently have Continental DWS tires but have not been impressed with them. What brand and type tire do you guys recommend? I live on the East Coast so we do get all types of weather (Snow/Sleet/Rain).

Also I had the rear brakes changed 2 years ago. Have about 22k miles on the current set (OEM). Do the rear brakes wear out faster than then front ones? My fronts are the original with the car currently at 46k miles.

My driving style is mostly easy go driving with ample distance and minimal brake checking.
I have a 09 XF SC, and just two months ago I swapped my Pzero's for some Michelin A/S 3+. I live in Kentucky and I'm really impressed with the noise, quality, and ride. As the brakes, go I have Akebono brake pads installed front and rear, and EBC slotted rotors installed. I got them installed almost 4-5 years ago and both of them are almost like new. I do a bit of harsh driving sometimes , combined with daily driving and highway driving. They have held up really nice and till date the braking feels amazing.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Supercharged Jag
I have a 09 XF SC, and just two months ago I swapped my Pzero's for some Michelin A/S 3+. I live in Kentucky and I'm really impressed with the noise, quality, and ride. As the brakes, go I have Akebono brake pads installed front and rear, and EBC slotted rotors installed. I got them installed almost 4-5 years ago and both of them are almost like new. I do a bit of harsh driving sometimes , combined with daily driving and highway driving. They have held up really nice and till date the braking feels amazing.
Where did you buy your rotors and pads from?

Old 10-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Where did you buy your rotors and pads from?
You can find the Akebono brake pads anywhere near you such as Advanced Auto Parts, AutoZone, Orielly's, etc. Make sure you get the Akebono EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pads, those are specifically made for European cars including Jaguar. They are astonishing there is literally visibly almost no brake dust after driving for about a week daily. There is only a thin layer of dust coating and even that is barely noticeable. And as far as rotors go I got them from EBC's website. i got the USR Slotted Rotors, although you can get other types, but I got those and those worked the best for me. Alot of people here have EBC brake pads, but I wouldn't recommend them because I didn't have a good experience with them. If you don't mind me asking, where specifically on the east coast are you?

Old 10-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

Kiddhan has an XFR which means he has the 380 mm front brakes, and last I checked Akebono don't make pads for those brakes. I checked again just now and confirmed this.
I recently fitted Porterfield R4S pads all round on my F-Type, which has the exact same front brakes and almost the same rear brakes as a 2012 XFR (rear rotors both 376 mm but different handbrake set up and different pad shape).
Lots of F-Type owners in the US have fitted these Porterfield pads and like me they are very happy with them, especially the low dust.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Kiddhan has an XFR which means he has the 380 mm front brakes, and last I checked Akebono don't make pads for those brakes. I checked again just now and confirmed this.
I recently fitted Porterfield R4S pads all round on my F-Type, which has the exact same front brakes and almost the same rear brakes as a 2012 XFR (rear rotors both 376 mm but different handbrake set up and different pad shape).
Lots of F-Type owners in the US have fitted these Porterfield pads and like me they are very happy with them, especially the low dust.
How's the noise on them?

Old 10-23-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Supercharged Jag
If you don't mind me asking, where specifically on the east coast are you?
Northern VA (DMV)

Old 10-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

How's the noise on them?
Almost none.
Zero squeal, and just a tiny amount of "graunch" just as I come to a stop.
Way less than before and it goes away once the brakes are warm.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
Yes, the back brakes wear out 50% faster than fronts because the bias is more to the back (brakes first when pedal is applied) to reduce nose dive, and the traction control uses the back brakes to reduce wheel spin.

If you get 20K on a set of rears, you are doing good and 40K on front is also about right.

As far as tires, I bet you do not want to go with a summer tire since you live out east.

Continental has a newer "Extreme Contact DWS" tire out. It is the "Extreme Contact DWS 06" and is better than the older DWS model. Should be around $1000 for a set at Discount Tire.

Nitto also makes a decent all-season tire, They make the "Nitto Motivo" tire in 255/35/20 from front and 295/30/20 for rear (same size as stock XF-RS rears). They will be around $900 for a set at Discount Tire.
+1 on nitto
i went with the motivo by nitto to replace rear conti DWS - specifically for the tire size in 295/30/20. wanted to have the slightly wider and taller rear tire.

FYI - if you do sidewall / tire height math the factory 255/35 tire up front is actually teller than the 285/30 rear... i think the tire companies hadn't yet come out with 295/30/20 setups until more recently