XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Radio Deck Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Deck Questions

If I were to get a 2009-2011 Jaguar XF, is it possible to replace the god-awful radio deck?

I was in a 2011 Jaguar XF and couldn’t play my music off of my phone through USB or Bluetooth, reasons/thoughts on why not or what I was doing wrong?

Do you control certain car functions through the screen, if so, which? And would this make it impossible to replace radio deck?

^^^ going off of the previous question, can you turn on the heated seats and steering wheel without using the radio deck screen?

How is the stock normal sound system? And how much would it be to replace and is it worth it?

Old 11-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 352 Likes on 267 Posts

I stream Spotify on my 2011 with a bluetooth adapter. It works great.

Better to buy an XF that has a fully functional infotainment system then spending $10K to adapt an aftermarket system. Many things are controlled by the same screen.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Agreed. Same on my 2010

Note that on the earlier XF models the built in bluetooth connects to phone for calls but doesn't support streaming audio. You need a Bluetooth music streaming adapter (I use one called TuneToAir) which plugs into the socket inside the armrest and gives you a Bluetooth connection for phones to stream music. Works perfectly. I run Spotify and Waze on the phone, audio comes through the stereo system. Quality is excellent.

There are a couple of different audio systems in those years - I have the 'higher end' meridian (770W I think?) and personally think it sounds excellent

The following users liked this post:
StuG (11-18-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Agreed. Same on my 2010

Note that on the earlier XF models the built in bluetooth connects to phone for calls but doesn't support streaming audio. You need a Bluetooth music streaming adapter (I use one called TuneToAir) which plugs into the socket inside the armrest and gives you a Bluetooth connection for phones to stream music. Works perfectly. I run Spotify and Waze on the phone, audio comes through the stereo system. Quality is excellent.

There are a couple of different audio systems in those years - I have the 'higher end' meridian (770W I think?) and personally think it sounds excellent
Agreed - I run the same Tune2Air setup plugged into the ipod connector in my 2010 - the only thing that doesn't work is it won't show the track name with my Android phone (apparently works with iPhones), only "prev" and "next", though this feels like something that could be fixed with software, so I should probably check if there are any firmware updates out for it, or maybe new hardware.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

That must be an android thing. I have an iPhone and I get track name / artist on the Jag display screen and the track forward / backward buttons on the center console and on the steering wheel all control the Spotify too.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Yeah I think it is an Android thing. Everything else like track forward/backward buttons in console/steering wheel controlling spotify is all fine, just track name/artist not displaying. Given how dated the earlier Jaguar interface is as it is this doesn't really bother me - I'll eventually replace it with some sort of full carplay-esque setup anyway.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a lot of messing about with this lately on my 2010 XFR. I can't say what will work for you, but I'll say what works for me. I have been using a Samsung S9.

The Jaguar bluetooth phone connection works well, never any issues. As advertised.

Using the Bovee WMA1000 and a 30 pin connector normally works, but sometimes the connection to the Bovee is intermittent. It's likely a wonky connection at the 30 pin connector that I haven't taken the time to troubleshoot yet. With Android, it work like others state. It plays your phone's Media, but with no data displayed on the headunit. This is because the AVRCP version in any of these bluetooth adapters that use the 30 pin connection isn't high enough. AVRCP 1.3 is required, but they all have AVRCP 1.2 or lower. Iphone uses some other protocol to get around this.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anyawhere is that if you are using the Bluetooth adapter, you can make "other" types of calls as well, Messenger, LINE, or any other VOIP app. The only issue is that the 30 pin bluetooth adapters only supports the audio out (intended for music listening only), and still uses the microphone on your phone handset. Because of this, you have to keep your phone in range of your mouth to some degree. In your pocket is muffled, but sitting on the console or on a mount works OK.