XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Rain sensing wipers not sensing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Rain sensing wipers not sensing?

After getting my battery replaced, I have noticed that my rain sensing wipers are crap.

At first they worked great and perfectly. I just set the correct sensing level which dictated how much rain I wanted on the windshield. Now it just acts funny.

Randomly it will miss a wipe and my screen will be full, then it goes and does quick wipes as if it lagged and is catching up. It just isn't working so great anymore and I don't know why.

Any idea what I should do?
When I told my Service manager at the dealership she said that they are not perfect....how can I argue with that now.

I am ganna try and use the hose on the windshield and test it but is there anything else I can do?

Old 07-07-2015, 07:52 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Something got out of calibration obviously...and since the last thing done was a battery change (how that could affect it I don't know), but electronics are stupid sensitive now a days, so you may need your car's ECU/CPU/ECM/PCM or whatever it's called, re-flashed.

You sure she was the "Service Manager" and not just the Service advisor/writer?...Cuz that was a pretty stupid excuse for an answer.

Last edited by DPK; 07-07-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

My rain sensing wipers have never been all that great at "sensing rain". It does exactly as you are stating. They either won't start wiping at all or will go too slow. I get around it by turning them completely off and then back to sensing when it happens. After on/off switching they work fine for me. It's funny because I had a 2002 X-type and the rain sensing wipers on that were perfect. It kind of pisses me off that they got it right on the X-type and messed it up on the XF.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 07-09-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I get around it by turning them completely off and then back to sensing when it happens.
I will try that, thanks for the tip. My XF was working great before...I was very pleased with the technology but then I noticed a full screen of rain and was like wtf.

but electronics are stupid sensitive now a days, so you may need your car's ECU/CPU/ECM/PCM or whatever it's called, re-flashed.
On my last visit of the battery change, I had my TCM and PCM re-flashed. Not sure if that could have caused it.

I told the mechanic about my issue he said hes ganna test it with the hose and see what he can do. I told him about my situation but if it passes the test then I don't think hes not ganna fix it. Not sure if the hose test is good as I feel the issue could be related to varying changes in rain amount hitting the windscreen. Where as the hose I bet he will just do constant water.