XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Rain sensor ID

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rain sensor ID

This is off of a 2013 XF Sport with high beam sensors. Can anyone confirm that this is the rain sensor unit? It appears that it should be mounted to the right hand side of the main unit. I have already purchased the small vented cover for it but cannot mount it. Evidently the windshield was replaced without having a mounting attachment for it so if anyone knows where it might be possible to buy one of these mounts I would be greatly appreciative.

Attached Thumbnails Rain sensor ID-p5032810.jpg   Rain sensor ID-p5032809.jpg   Rain sensor ID-p5032808.jpg  
Old 05-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

The rain sensor is centered and located under the plastic housing. It is the sensor to the left of the white E-ZPass transponder in the picture below. It's an optical sensor and looks very different than the sensor you show. The sensor in your picture looks like it is the one that should go up by the headliner. In my picture it has a black plastic case over it, to the right of the mirror mount. I don't know for sure what it is... maybe humidity sensor for the climate control?

Last edited by BlckCat; 05-04-2017 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kenbowen (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the help Black Cat! I agree with you as it appears to be listed as a humidity sensor in most of the vague parts diagrams that I can find. It is mounted in the same location as yours is. I was confused since it only seems to appear on Portfolio or high end units. I did manage to source a bracket mount for it and am in the process of gluing it on today. Hopefully it will be fine with the unit simply being compressed against the glass with the mechanical bracket and will not require a fresh silicone seal like the rain sensor. The sensor appears to have some sort of light sensor in it as well.

It still amazes me how little technical information is available to owners for these cars. Why is there not a mechanical/repair manual available for every single year and option that these cars have. The spare parts listings are just about as bad. I suppose it makes these boards even more valuable!