XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Random TPMS tire low warnings when raining

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I expect my dealer will do the controller replacement, the problem has been that when taken in for appointments, the issue does not show up.

My car is currently out in the sun (instead of its normal resting place - the garage) so I can test my theory and if I see the fault during a ride later, I will go straight to the dealership.

In case anyone wonders - Yes, I am originally from the UK and therefore tend to think a garage is for the car rather than the normal Canadian view that it is a storage facility, man-cave, or workshop

Old 09-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Just an update on my random TPMS events. While diagnosing a "Blind Spot Monitor Unavailable" event, the TPMS fired at the dealership and the event was captured apparently. During the next service they discovered a poor connection at the battery with the main cable. The clamp was fully tightened, but just lifted off.

They have now replaced the cable with one that tightens on the battery post and hope that has solved it.

I can certainly understand why a poor connection could be responsible for spurious events in modern electronic cars.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a little bit off topic, but does the '13 XF have a TPMS reset button? The sales person couldn't answer the question and I don't see it mentioned in the owner's manual.

All of the previous vehicles I have owned have a reset button.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteInGilroy
This may be a little bit off topic, but does the '13 XF have a TPMS reset button? The sales person couldn't answer the question and I don't see it mentioned in the owner's manual.

All of the previous vehicles I have owned have a reset button.
No.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 AM

For information, my wife's CX-7 has the iTPMS (indirect) where there are no pressure sensors at each wheel, but changes and variations in the rolling radius are detected. On that type of system, you need to put the correct pressure in each wheel, then use the "reset" to tell the system that this state is "good" and variations should now be monitored.

For direct TPMS systems the sensors generally report pressure (and sometimes temperature) and the controller monitors the actual readings rather than just differences between the wheels, therefore there is minimal need to reset.

My 2010 XF does not have a reset either.

Last edited by rickety; 09-16-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: minor clarification
Old 04-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

I was just informed by my servicing dealer that there is a brand new TSB from Jaguar about this issue.

I will update this thread when I have more info.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
I was just informed by my servicing dealer that there is a brand new TSB from Jaguar about this issue.

Just had my tpms software re flashed on Monday by the dealer so I hope it was part of the new tsb

Old 04-23-2014, 11:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium

Thanks much for the info. I have been having the same issue (although rain isn't a factor for me) every once in awhile the last two months. I had it to the dealer twice and all I got was they couldn't reproduce it. I showed them this thread and suddenly they too were able to find the TSB. Firmware and software updated yesterday--hopefully this fixes the issue.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 PM

Just an update - my tpms has been solid (no warnings) for 3 weeks so the reflash definitly sorted it

Old 05-11-2014, 09:31 PM

Had the re flash done a week ago and it has been perfect since.

Looks like this issue is now resolved.

Thank you Jaguar and Peoria Jag/LR.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:15 AM

My TPMS controller software was updated according to the latest TSB. That happened about 3 weeks ago. We have had fairly significant temperature variations and sunshine, but the problem has not recurred so far.

The technician did indicate that "temperature" was a factor in the TSB description, indicating that the tyre temperatures can vary quite a bit from one to another.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rickety
My TPMS controller software was updated according to the latest TSB. That happened about 3 weeks ago. We have had fairly significant temperature variations and sunshine, but the problem has not recurred so far.

Is your car under warranty? Does anyone know if TSBs are handled as courtesy repairs if the warrnty has expired already?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Is your car under warranty? Does anyone know if TSBs are handled as courtesy repairs if the warrnty has expired already?
Tsbs are issued as a guidance to mechanics to be able to diagnose common problems. Typically these are customer paid services if the car is out of warranty (unlike a recall). That being said, my dealership performed the service free of charge on my out of warranty 09 as a goodwill gesture. Typically it's around $100 or so I think.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:52 PM

Mine was done as Goodwill, but I do have a CPO warrenty.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Long Islander
The job was done for me as a courtesy. I had reported the problem several times and they were either unable to detect it, or the fix that was done was not the cause of the problem.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jlwine
Thanks much for the info. I have been having the same issue (although rain isn't a factor for me) every once in awhile the last two months. I had it to the dealer twice and all I got was they couldn't reproduce it. I showed them this thread and suddenly they too were able to find the TSB. Firmware and software updated yesterday--hopefully this fixes the issue.

Just an update--its almost been two months and not a single issue since the TSB work was completed.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 PM

Could someone please post the TSB number or better yet, the TSB itself? Thanks.

Last edited by Long Islander; 06-15-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same problem. It was the TPMS monitor, NOT the tire pressure sensors, although they can go bad as well. The difference is with the monitor you get the random indication of low pressure bouncing from one tire to another. I took a video of it while it was doing it and then showed that to the SM. I has to do with where the monitor is located and its susceptibility to moisture when it rains.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by jlwine
Just an update--its almost been two months and not a single issue since the TSB work was completed.

I'm now getting these random TPMS fault warnings about once a month. They seem to go away for a while the next day.

Does anyone know the number of the TSB for the fix or have a copy of the TSB itself?

Old 07-20-2014, 06:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm seeing this as of a few weeks ago. Shows almost all the time. Started Rotates amongst all 4 tires and they are all at 35. I had tires changed this week all around and they are still showing check inflation even after tire shop set inflation correctly.

Quick Reply: Random TPMS tire low warnings when raining