XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

rants on the xf

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rants on the xf

its a nice car as a DD but why didnt jaguar...

add a water/oil temp dial to the instruments?

fit a engine cover onto the v6? even the s type has a half cover
Name:  1311679-6.jpg
Views: 1915
Size:  56.8 KB

Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

That's a ton of plastic and the plastic strut covers are missing. I took mine off too, they rattled all the time. The V6 engine cover doesn't look near as cool as the V8s.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by jagmt
its a nice car as a DD but why didnt jaguar...

add a water/oil temp dial to the instruments?

I can sort of respond to this one- most drivers have no idea what do with the info presented by these gauges.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

Yea, it's an industry trend to go to less gauges, so get used to it. Some cars no longer even have dipsticks to check the oil level (ex. Porsche 911), which is the same thought process by the automakers as reducing gauges.

It's also common for car companies to cost cut on lower models, like extra plastic in the engine compartment. So that's a pretty unreasonable rant in my opinion too.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Yea, it's an industry trend to go to less gauges, so get used to it. Some cars no longer even have dipsticks to check the oil level (ex. Porsche 911), which is the same thought process by the automakers as reducing gauges.

It's also common for car companies to cost cut on lower models, like extra plastic in the engine compartment. So that's a pretty unreasonable rant in my opinion too.
Its funny you mention no dipstick, that was my first complaint when I opened the hood of my 2013 XF 3.0 AWD.... Not Dipstick how am I to check the fluid level... and the silly process of checking it. Must be at operating temp (how will I know that since I have no temp gauge) then on level ground (my driveway isn't level so to the street I park) shut engine off and wait 10 minutes (what I just had to warm it up... this is silly)now without starting the car press the start button. then use the info button on the turn signal stalk to get to the oil level sensor, which by the way has given me different readings almost everytime.

Oh to have a dipstick again.

The following users liked this post:
KingFala (09-03-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

No need to go through all that "warm it up and wait 10 minutes" rigmarole to check the oil level, simply pop the bonnet instead, turn the ignition on, then toggle the stalk button until the oil level readout appears.

Rdyoung (10-27-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

+1 people don't want the gauges
but... hook up OBD and you can have lots of data

Old 09-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Dipstick

Originally Posted by joey4420
Its funny you mention no dipstick, that was my first complaint when I opened the hood of my 2013 XF 3.0 AWD.... Not Dipstick how am I to check the fluid level... and the silly process of checking it. Must be at operating temp (how will I know that since I have no temp gauge) then on level ground (my driveway isn't level so to the street I park) shut engine off and wait 10 minutes (what I just had to warm it up... this is silly)now without starting the car press the start button. then use the info button on the turn signal stalk to get to the oil level sensor, which by the way has given me different readings almost everytime.

Oh to have a dipstick again.
Thanks for the heads up on the lack of a dipstick. I recently acquired a 2013 XJ, with the news from the salesman that I wouldn't need to change the oil until 15,000 miles on the odometer. I guess I was supposed to be overjoyed at the news; I'm sure the service charge will now be $200 or $300 instead of the $150 I paid for the last Jag.

Anyway, I'm thanking you because sometime in the next couple of weeks I normally would be doing a check on the oil and would have driven myself crazy searching for that darn old dipstick.

When and "if" I'd check the manual, I might not have even found how to do it. No "oil check" directions in the manual under Oil, nor under Maintenance, but there it was buried down under the Fluids category! Well, at least it was there.

Luck
King Fala

Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by KingFala
Thanks for the heads up on the lack of a dipstick. I recently acquired a 2013 XJ, with the news from the salesman that I wouldn't need to change the oil until 15,000 miles on the odometer. I guess I was supposed to be overjoyed at the news; I'm sure the service charge will now be $200 or $300 instead of the $150 I paid for the last Jag.

Do it yourself if cost is a bother.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

I haven't had a car without an oil dipstick yet. I'm still bothered by the lack of a transmission dipstick on my 2000 and 2006.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Do it myself?

Originally Posted by Mikey
Do it yourself if cost is a bother.
After years of rebuilding many V8 engines, rehabing transmissions and fixing, fiddling, and repairing Fords, Chryslers, Buicks, MG's and building a couple of kit cars, I'm lucky, now, that I can find the latch to open the hood.

In other words, unfortunately, I'm well beyond that! You might say that the problem is the date on my birth certificate.

Wish I could.

Luck
King Fala

Old 09-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Ok,
My 2014 SC V6 has a big plastic cover over the engine. It's not near as nice as the one on my XK.

1)The oil dipstick thing I don't like. But by the time I bought my own vacuum pump, oil and disposed of the old oil I would have spent the $150 it cost to change it. For those who don't know, it holds 8 quarts.

2)I don't like the 15k for the first oil change. The dealer said that when the maint light comes it, to change it. It may be 7500 miles. It's configured by your driving habits. I had mine changed at 5k miles. Just because I'm not waiting that long.

3)Jaguar is still behind on some things. There should be two remotes that are configured for individual drivers. My 2002 BMW did that and once you unlocked the car with said remote, all settings were adjusted to the remote.

4)It has soft close trunk. Which is stated no where in my owners manual. I found it out after owning the car for several months. It should have the soft close doors as well.

5)It has the same engine as the F Type. Then why can't it have the 380hp instead of 340hp?

6)You can no longer option out the car. It comes in packages and not everything is available any more. My car has options that are no longer available and I only purchased it the last of March. Stick with one thing. I assume it was a cost saving idea for the consumer.

7)These are only minor gripes. I love this car and have enjoyed it so far. It rides great, handles great and has just enough hp to have fun. Plus gets in the mid 20's on mpg.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:52 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Overall I love my car, but my largest gripe/annoyance is a multimedia issue, well two actually. When using navigation if I change the climate or the song(unless I'm using BT) you get that huge pop up on the screen that covers most of the map. Also when in the home screen view you have all of that area for a song and all it will display is the name of the song, no artist or album--seems like wasted space. Not having a dipstick is weird but I don't mind it. Not an annoyance but I wish Jaguar would switch to something like Ford's easyfuel where you don't have to mess with a gas cap.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In theory your jag will warn you when your oil is to low. So no need for a dipstick to check. Hopefully it warns you in time before there is engine damage

Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Storm3163
In theory your jag will warn you when your oil is to low. So no need for a dipstick to check. Hopefully it warns you in time before there is engine damage
i dont know if it warns when the engine is overheating

Old 09-04-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
+1 people don't want the gauges
but... hook up OBD and you can have lots of data
they could have them display on the navi if not putting the gauges..safety at least

Old 09-04-2014, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by jagmt
they could have them display on the navi if not putting the gauges..safety at least
The industry has learned this:

Originally Posted by Mikey
I can sort of respond to this one- most drivers have no idea what do with the info presented by these gauges.
If big red flashing lights or nasty noises and vibration won't cause owners to stop a car ASAP, some numbers on a gauge won't either.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

The 6 cyl has a cover. Yours might be missing it. The 6 is the same engine as the V8 5.0L, just missing 2 cyls.

The reason the F-Type 6 has a 380 option is because, well, no good reason. They just did it cuz it's F-Type. You can get the F 6 in 340 or 380. Same engine. Just tuned it differently.

When XKR came out in 1997-8, I went to England an drove one at the factory. Holy crap it was FAST. Not "fast" like the US model but FAST like a striped *** goat. They just tune 'em differently as they see fit.

In regards to gauges:

Years ago, Jag (and most other mfgs) had accurate gauges. The problem was that if it was a cool day outside, the temp read 185. If it was hot, it might have read 205. This variance caused many clients to bring their vehicles in, stating over/under heating. Yes, many of our clientele is ****. Hey don't shoot the messenger, I've owned 7 Jags. Sometimes I'm **** too.

Nowadays, most gauges have a "set range." X308, for example (1998-2003 XJ) temp gauge will stay smack in the middle if the engine temp is slightly high or low. If you see the gauge on one of those go above middle, PULL OVER NOW. It's already overheating.

XF will tell you if it's overheating, or the coolant is low. LISTEN to it. I have 3 5.0L vehicles in the shop right now needing engines because the driver did not stop in time. These aluminum engines are not bulletproof. The heads will warp, and they are not available separately. Yes, that means you just bought an engine, as driving it after overheating can void your warranty.

jagmt (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 07:32 AM

this is how the v6 bay looks like. they came without the covers

Originally Posted by ServiceMasterD
The 6 cyl has a cover. Yours might be missing it. The 6 is the same engine as the V8 5.0L, just missing 2 cyls.

The reason the F-Type 6 has a 380 option is because, well, no good reason. They just did it cuz it's F-Type. You can get the F 6 in 340 or 380. Same engine. Just tuned it differently.

When XKR came out in 1997-8, I went to England an drove one at the factory. Holy crap it was FAST. Not "fast" like the US model but FAST like a striped *** goat. They just tune 'em differently as they see fit.

In regards to gauges:

Years ago, Jag (and most other mfgs) had accurate gauges. The problem was that if it was a cool day outside, the temp read 185. If it was hot, it might have read 205. This variance caused many clients to bring their vehicles in, stating over/under heating. Yes, many of our clientele is ****. Hey don't shoot the messenger, I've owned 7 Jags. Sometimes I'm **** too.

Nowadays, most gauges have a "set range." X308, for example (1998-2003 XJ) temp gauge will stay smack in the middle if the engine temp is slightly high or low. If you see the gauge on one of those go above middle, PULL OVER NOW. It's already overheating.

XF will tell you if it's overheating, or the coolant is low. LISTEN to it. I have 3 5.0L vehicles in the shop right now needing engines because the driver did not stop in time. These aluminum engines are not bulletproof. The heads will warp, and they are not available separately. Yes, that means you just bought an engine, as driving it after overheating can void your warranty.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

My bad. I thought, since this was XF forum, that he was referring to XF. I swear I don't remember seeing the S-Type grille pic the first time I saw the post. Was it added later?

S-Type 6 cyl does not have a cover.

U.S. model 6 cyl 3.0 XF 2013+ ym does.

Quick Reply: rants on the xf