XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Ready to get rid of my XF after 3 months

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ready to get rid of my XF after 3 months

I've had my 2011 XF Premium for three months and it has been in the shop 3 different times for a total of 12 days. I'm kind of fed up with the car being in the shop so often and I'm ready to take the loss and get rid of it. I do like the car but just can't keep bringing it in for service. Today kind of put me over the edge when they provided me with a beutiful loaner car............a 2010 Chevy Malibu. What a piece of junk. I felt like I was driving a golf cart. 5 yrs with my Lexus and it never needed to be in for service overnight. Might just have to go with the M6 or the Maserati. This was the first time buying a second hand car and I don't think I will go that route again. Bah humbug

Old 12-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 261 Posts

Really? What went wrong? My '09 hasn't seen the shop for a total of 12 days in over four years.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your torture. I have a 2012 XF Portfolio and love it. I have had no problems or issues. OK, it goes fast and being stopped is a pain. Just curious, was the car CPO from a Jaguar dealer? If so, I would think the dealer may want to work something out with you and get you into something else.

I have had times with my 2010 XF when they gave me a "junker" as a loaner, but many dealers use Enterprise and their cars apparently are low end for the dealers.

Let us know what happens, and what went wrong with the car in the first place.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Very strange. My 2012 XF Portfolio was also trouble free. Better than my prior ML350 or LR2. In fact, I just traded up to the XFR. I always do a pre-purchase inspection on all my used car purchases. Highly recommend the $150 investment. As for the Maserati Qattroporte, you may wish that you had never traded in the XF. Several friends have it (I live in Los Angeles after all) and the M/Qs are constantly in the shop. And there's not a lot of dealerships for service even in LA. It may also be a dealership issue. I would try another service department. I once had that issue with Toyota. Night and day between the Santa Monica and downtown LA service centers.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had a few things go wrong with my 11 XF as well and it has been in the shop more than yours since I bought it in September. The first time they gave me a VW CC. I complained and it has been XJL loaners since. A call to Jaguar NA might help you too.

What are your issues? Can you keep driving the car until an XJL Loaner comes available?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

BMW uses Enterprise vehicles too, so don't expect BMW loaners all the time.

Maseratis are beautiful cars, that would be a nice choice.

Good luck with your decision making regardless of what you do.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

If your car is still under factory warranty and you are constantly having issues, you may want to look into your state's lemon laws. here in Commiefornia, there are attorneys specializing in lemon law cases. if you bought it from a jag dealer that would make things that much easier. however, it would be the factory approving the buyback. dealer will facilitate the process. sometimes the factory will make you an offer to buy the car back if you purchase a new one. they will give you a special deal on a new purchase as part of settling. the key to succeeding is documentation, and plenty of it. also, do research on reliability issues of your particular model as this information will also give you a leg. there's a reason to an existence of this legal specialty as the factories don't just easily roll over and buy the car back.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Owning an '11 SC since May (purchased new with 100 miles), I haven't experienced any problems with just less than 5k miles, so I'd be interested to know the specific problems you are having and if you purchased from a Jag dealer.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone considering replacing his Jaguar with a Maserati primarily because of maintenance issues needs counseling!

Maserati makes a heart stoppingly beautiful sedan that apparently drives like a dream, especially if the newer model equipped with the same ZF automatic as the Jaguars. However, for the same money you can have a quicker, faster, more reliable and heart stoppingly beautiful XFR.

The following users liked this post:
RiceAD (10-25-2023)
Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Default I must need counseling....

...........because I'm considering giving up my XF for a Maserati as my weekend ride and going to my Panamera as a daily driver.

Mistake #1 Buying a CPO Jag with 14,000 miles..should of went new
Mistake #2 Not buying the XK as my weekend ride like I first wanted to.
Mistake #3 Having a Jag as my daily driver

The repairs that put my XF in the shop were Coolant leak splattering all over my engine compartment, Brakes, Headlight Issue, Gas tank Issue, Improper gas tank installation, Check engine light, Dash Replacement, Split seat release issue.

As far as the loaner goes I was just aggravated and frustrated. Having my car back for one day and then having to go back the next day and leave it again and drive home the Malibu just ticked me off. I understand the Malibu serves a purpose and we are all fortunate to drive luxery cars so I was just venting. Fortunately I only had to drive it home to get my other car and they actually sent a driver with my car to my house when it was done to switch them out. It was nice getting home and seeing my car back. I did make one mistake and forgot to tell them NOT to wash it. It looks like they washed it with sandpaper. Time for detailing again.

So after all this my wife wants to keep it as a daily driver and see what happens in the next few months. So she'll be driving it and of course if there are any issues I'll have to deal with it. I can only hope that it never sees the service dept except for its regular scheduled service.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

A Panamera? Seriously? Ugliest car on the planet. Even a Pontiac Aztec is "prettier".

A Panamera is a lowered Cayenne.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by chefmjb
...........because I'm considering giving up my XF for a Maserati as my weekend ride and going to my Panamera as a daily driver.

Mistake #1 Buying a CPO Jag with 14,000 miles..should of went new
Mistake #2 Not buying the XK as my weekend ride like I first wanted to.
Mistake #3 Having a Jag as my daily driver

The repairs that put my XF in the shop were Coolant leak splattering all over my engine compartment, Brakes, Headlight Issue, Gas tank Issue, Improper gas tank installation, Check engine light, Dash Replacement, Split seat release issue.

As far as the loaner goes I was just aggravated and frustrated. Having my car back for one day and then having to go back the next day and leave it again and drive home the Malibu just ticked me off. I understand the Malibu serves a purpose and we are all fortunate to drive luxery cars so I was just venting. Fortunately I only had to drive it home to get my other car and they actually sent a driver with my car to my house when it was done to switch them out. It was nice getting home and seeing my car back. I did make one mistake and forgot to tell them NOT to wash it. It looks like they washed it with sandpaper. Time for detailing again.

So after all this my wife wants to keep it as a daily driver and see what happens in the next few months. So she'll be driving it and of course if there are any issues I'll have to deal with it. I can only hope that it never sees the service dept except for its regular scheduled service.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

I do understand your frustration, but......
#1. Just because it had 14,000 miles on it, doesn't make it bad. You could have bought a brand new one and had more problems with it.
#2. Again, you could have had just as many issues with it, if not more.
#3. Nothing wrong with having a Jaguar as daily driver. I can link 25 threads to my post with people expressing what you are expressing about Maseratis, BMW, Bently etc..... You just got a bad one out of the bunch. There is the good and a bad bunch in every make and model.

I do wish you many trouble free miles, since you will be keeping for a bit longer.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Agree with all the points addressed by Executive. Buying a CPO car is actually a smart financial move as the previous owner took the hit of the depreciation. The car undergoes a thorough inspection and the dealer will be more than happy to change anything that may remotely needed under warranty. Essentially you are getting a better deal in terms of $$ and warranty.

I've worked for BMW and MB franchized dearlers and can say with confidence that both of these revered brands have had major issues with their larger models.

If you want bullet proof reliability, I'd say Lexus but not even sure if they never had issues with their LS lineup. But would you be happy with Toyota driving characteristics?

Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jagular
A Panamera? Seriously? Ugliest car on the planet. Even a Pontiac Aztec is "prettier".

A Panamera is a lowered Cayenne.

Uglier that a 1997 Saab 9000, a 2001 Audi S4 or a 1991 Alfa Romeo 164..............I think not.

I see your taste is all in your mouth

Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

With the exception of the gas tank issue and interior problems the repairs should be straight forward. I had a coolant leak in the XJ8 and spent $1000s tracking it down. Finally one seasoned mechanic working after his regular work hours figured it out. That was all it took. The right guy had to look at it.

I just saw my buddy at cars and coffee in Irvine CA. His Maserati had the passenger cushion fall out of the seat and got a new seat. A switch broke and the levers to release the seats (he has the 2 door) broke on both seats. All under warranty but my point is that you shouldn't have these issues with $150k car either.

I would talk to the service manager about the loaner situation. I always get XFs or better. I think if you come later in the morning you may get stuck with what's left.

Last edited by ajmarton; 12-23-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

My 09 XF SC has over 72k miles on it and has been trouble free other than a couple known issues which were easily resolved. I am doing some maintenance on it now but nothing unexpected or out of the ordinary really. I agree you may have gotten a 'bad' one.

My 07 Chevy Trailblazer SS was completely trouble free for the 38k miles I had it . My 07 Corvette Z06 has never had a warranty repair, not one! 33k miles on it now. Both these Chevys are of much lower 'quality' than the cars we talk about here, for sure yours is not a good example of the breed and not representative of the brand.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chefmjb
Uglier that a 1997 Saab 9000, a 2001 Audi S4 or a 1991 Alfa Romeo 164..............I think not.

I see your taste is all in your mouth

They say there's the right man for every woman......no matter how ugly she may appear to some.

Seriously, I challenge you to find a review of the Panamera which doesn't remark on its questionable styling.

Still, Porsche lovers are a special breed. They have to be to tolerate the ridiculous mark up on every one they buy.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Chefmjb

I understand how you feel. I have a 2012 XF Portfolio Sport and had seal issues which required several trips to Jaguar in the first 2-3 months. I was also frustrated to the point of considering a sell/trade. Plus, the Enterprise loaners didn't help. I also was frustrated that I dropped off a clean car that they decided to drive through a car wash. I see you are in NC we must be dealing with the same dealership. However, when they finally got the seal issues corrected the car has been great. Hang in there...it does get better

Also, I too was considering the Porsche and the BMW 6 Grand Coupe. The Porsche styling is different but nothing drives like a Porsche.

Good Luck

Old 12-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chefmjb, that is quite a list. I agree with the others CPO for a "previously owned" I will not say "used" XF was a good move, it is practically new. Seriously, while this stuff is a PITA to deal with, if you have a good dealer they should be much more receptive to your issues.

By that I mean; put the best mechanic on it and not give him a "time limit", let him diagnose the problems and fix them properly (sounds like this may have been done); give you a good loaner or better yet a demo to drive until the car is completely fixed; offer to replace the car without any hassels.

I know first hand, as do many of us, that if something happens to my wife's car I have to deal with it. For the record, I like the Panamera, and from what I have read the thing is a great drivers car.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I think you were unlucky and get the bad one from the bunch. I had my XF 11 for almost 1 year now and has never been in the workshop. Drives beautifully. The Porsche is quite expensive for what you get. For that price you have a lot more options such as the Maserati.

Quick Reply: Ready to get rid of my XF after 3 months