XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Rear Brakes Shot at 19K miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Rear Brakes Shot at 19K miles

Ed, I am by no means an expert on this and if someone else has a better description I will by no means be offended.

From what's been explained to me is there is a certain amount of "out of round" that is acceptable called runout. If you are out of round in the vertical direction, looking at it from the side where the tire tread would be, it can be straightened more easily than if it's been bent in either direction toward the sides.

So if the rim is on the balancer and it hops up and down it can probably be fixed. If it wobbles very much, into the recycling bin it goes (have two that had to do so with). If the rear rim is close to or over the runout spec it's less likely to be noticed and is easier to balance out. If it's on the front it's much more noticeable and harder to balance out since the wheel is free to move around and you feel it directly through the steering wheel.

Trust me, if you don't feel it, it's not bent or bent very badly. My car shook noticeably after my incident.

The following users liked this post:
spanky145 (07-15-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Any competent tire fitter should be able to see bent rims when he fits the wheel to his or her balancer. Standard practice is to spin the wheel a little by hand first and any out of round significant enough to worry about will readily be seen. A road force balancer will take care of small variations.

Alloy wheels can be straightened perfectly most times. Modern techniques can even repair cracks and gouges satisfactorily. Mind you this isn't cheap.

spanky145 (07-15-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

As jagular said , plus its the inner side of the rims that you will see any damage .

spanky145 (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank's to everyone who replied to my question about the possibility of my wheels being bent after I struck a pothole.

I am certainly not looking for additional work or expense related to this "accident" with a pothole and since tires were replaced and wheel alignment specs were adjusted the car seems to be just fine. It has now been six months since this work was done. However, I got a bit concerned when I read that some of you had been driving with "bent" wheels and had no sign that they were even bent. I was always under the impression that a bent wheel would be noticed in one way or another. I guess that based on your explanations it would all depend on how severely bent the wheel(s) were. In my case, the initial impact was so severe that I could not imagine simply destroying two tires with no damage to the rims. But the shop that I used has been around for a long time and has an excellent reputation. I know that they have a Hunter Road Force balancing machine. I can only assume that they would have made mention of "bent" wheels if they found this during diagnostics. They knew that it was a brand new car and I told them that if I needed wheels I would be going through my auto insurance since I do not have the tire and wheel insurance which my salesman recommended but I decided to reject. I remember the owner of the shop telling me that these wheels can take a pretty good hit before sustaining damage. As soon as the impact took place I immediately pulled over and did not drive any further which would have caused more damage. I guess that I just got lucky. I appreciate everyone's input.

Thank you,

Ed

Old 07-19-2015, 09:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

About 20000 miles is what we got on our XF. Replaced them with EBC red stuff and since put them on the front also. Love them. Kept the great feeling of the awesome Jaguar brakes.
On my STR with Brembo brakes I also used EBC red stuff and that car will detach ur retinas on hard stops.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

So, I finally had my rear brakes(rotors, pads and sensor replaced) with ~23,500 miles by an independent shop, all in $560. I wonder how long these rotors will last, I won't know as I'll be turning the car in by next July.