XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Rear license plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear license plate bracket

Has anyone found a rear license plate bracket for their XF ? Local parts stores don't have anything that will mount in either of the two spare sets of holes on the trunk lid.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I bought one of these from the local Mini dealer. It fits fine, but since there are only holes drilled for the top, it rattles when I close the trunk lid. Not the sound of quality! I guess I could put some foam under the lower part, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM

That would be a plate surround. The bracket mounts to the trunk then the plate mounts the backet with 4 screws, thus eliminatiing the rattle you're experiencing. Also keeps the plate away from the painted trunk lid eliminating chaffing caused by the plate rubbing against the paint. Have looked at several but the mounting holes are nowhere near the available holes in the XF trunk lid. Not having any luck searching the internet either.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

funny you should bring it up. When I mounted my plate I thought it was a strange mount as well. I always take that damn dealer advertisement surround off...but then its just metal on metal. I got a basic black surround but it still seems cheesy.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many options available on Amazon at much lower prices than dealership.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I see your point now. Yes, odd that they don't come with a bracket. I think I have a bracket in my spare wheel well which I assumed wa for the front, but I will check it out.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought a chrome license plate frame from Altec Products (see photo below or link) that is very high quality but requires four screws.

So I marked the locations for two bottom holes (using my plate as a template) and then drilled into the trunk lid. Then I used a die (think that's what it's called) to make the holes threaded so I could use machine screws. I also threaded the plastic screw anchors on top that came with the car so I could use the same size and type of stainless steel screws for all four locations. I think the screws I used are #8, and the hole was 5/32".

This method holds the plate and frame on very firmly, and since the frame is fairly wide, I use the bottom of the frame as a handle to close the trunk rather than getting my hands all over the trunk lid.

license Plate Covers (scroll to Model Ital, and click on it to see the chrome one)

Attached Thumbnails Rear license plate bracket-altec-frame.jpg  

Last edited by Long Islander; 03-28-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darlo
It fits fine, but since there are only holes drilled for the top, it rattles when I close the trunk lid. Not the sound of quality! I guess I could put some foam under the lower part, but I haven't got around to it yet.
I used little foam blocks with one sided tape and they have worked fine since day one. No rattles even when you slap the trunk lid down.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=Long Islander;490371]I bought a chrome license plate frame from Altec Products (see photo below or link) that is very high quality but requires four screws.

So I marked the locations for two bottom holes (using my plate as a template) and then drilled into the trunk lid. Then I used a die (think that's what it's called) to make the holes threaded so I could use machine screws. I also threaded the plastic screw anchors on top that came with the car so I could use the same size and type of stainless steel screws for all four locations. I think the screws I used are #8, and the hole was 5/32".

This method holds the plate and frame on very firmly, and since the frame is fairly wide, I use the bottom of the frame as a handle to close the trunk rather than getting my hands all over the trunk lid.

license Plate Covers (scroll to Model Ital, and click on it to see the chrome one)[/
QUOTE]

Cars leased. Assume they won't take to kindly to me adding holes. Besides ,there are 6 holes in it already and none of them will allow the attachment of any readily available plate bracket. How hard could it be for Jaguar to source one from China for a couple of bucks and include it with car. Guess I'll let the plate bang against the paint on the trunk and let the dealer worry about it when I turn it in.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

[quote=Dadio;490796]
Originally Posted by Long Islander
I bought a chrome license plate frame from Altec Products (see photo below or link) that is very high quality but requires four screws.

license Plate Covers (scroll to Model Ital, and click on it to see the chrome one)[/
QUOTE]

Cars leased. Assume they won't take to kindly to me adding holes. Besides ,there are 6 holes in it already and none of them will allow the attachment of any readily available plate bracket. How hard could it be for Jaguar to source one from China for a couple of bucks and include it with car. Guess I'll let the plate bang against the paint on the trunk and let the dealer worry about it when I turn it in.
If I'm recalling correctly, there are several holes in the trunk lid for different sizes of license plates that are not used, but rather covered by round black stickers. You could just get two more such stickers before you turn in the car when the lease is over to cover the two new holes you drilled. No one will know.