XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Rear license plate lights removal tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear license plate lights removal tutorial

This is not really much of a tutorial, because it's really simple once you see the pictures. Since I couldn't find them in any other thread, I started this one. As trivial as it is, if you don't know what you're looking for, you can easily end up damaging the lens.

Both lens are installed in the same direction, with ledge holders/prongs on the left (molded out of the lens' frame) and a flexible metal tab on the right. DO NOT mess with the left side of light. The right side is where you work. Just find a slim flat head screwdriver and stick it straight into the slot to the right of the light:

Name:  KCV5k4B.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  39.0 KB

Tilt and/or press the screwdriver to the left to trigger the locking tab and allow the lens to pop out:

Then, you can gently pull the unit out. The harness will be connected to the bulb socket on the back side of the lens, so you'll only be able to pull it out a little and then you will have to rotate the lens while holding the bulb socket in place to detach the lens. Then, you are free to replace the bulb, which is a T-10, I belive.

And this is how the lens unit looks when it's detached. Notice the ledge holders/prongs on the left that you don't want to accidentally mar up, like I did:

Sorry for the crappy pictures as I was doing this at night.

Last edited by hendogg8; 02-26-2016 at 04:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hendogg8:
blue1948 (11-10-2023), Taras Tymofijiw (12-15-2019)
Old 02-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Thanks! I learned the hard way!!

Old 03-04-2016, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish the courtesy light removal would've been just as easy to replace, those definitely tested my patience. Regardless, thanks for the insight.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:20 AM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownBrit
Wish the courtesy light removal would've been just as easy to replace, those definitely tested my patience. Regardless, thanks for the insight.
Can you help me with getting those out? I've tried 3 times over the last year or so, looked at all the tutorials and am still no closer. Frustrating.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:28 AM

I also had a very hard time removing the courtesy light cover(s) when I upgraded to LED's. I wish I could tell you that I figured out another unique way of removing those damn things, but I can't.
I had already ahead of time ordered two new courtesy light covers (left/right) prior to attempting to remove them knowing that it was highly likely that I'd break one or both in the process. I ended up snapping both tabs located on each cover while trying to remove them from the mirror cover. Luckily I had two new covers which I subsequently used with the new LED's I had purchased.
I know others on the forum have had much easier times removing/replacing the courtesy light covers, perhaps some are more stubborn than others. Mine in particular were impossible to remove without breaking (at least that was my experience)
Some remove the actual mirror from the housing, and others have used a small flat head screwdriver to "press down" on the tab located dead center below the mirror when it's positioned completely upward. And finally I believe some may have had the absolute fortune of being able to basically pry it off from underneath simply using a flat head screwdriver.....I envy all who have successfully done this without breaking something.
I attempted to pry it off from underneath at first, then tried the "pressing down" on the tab method, followed by another attempt at prying (which eventually broke the tab(s). I did not try removing the mirror however, made me a little uneasy.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:36 AM

Puddle lamp/Courtesy light cover part no. will be C2C37089 and C2C37090 (don't recall which is left and which is right)...they're about $13 a pop.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2012 xj license plate bulb removal

I AM BUYING THE BULBS TONITE....THANKS hendogg8 FOR THE PICS, I WOULD HAVE BEEN LOST FROM THE BEGINNING.

SINCERELY,
JOEDOC

Old 03-06-2023, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace hydraulic system

Buy fro jag specialties , California, get rid of rear shocks to stand gas, and all the mineral system goes away, , GM style booster goes in . Rear shock lines removed.

2) dash cluster F###, transformer in dash goes 12dc to 120vac ! To run led dash. Short out! Only Atlanta Speedos rebuilds these at 325+$ and shipping. Getting out is no fun.

3) factory radio suck, and sound (speakers) suck only good for low vol listening. Need help on radio fits, and sound ideas, ( clean)