XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Rear suspension creaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear suspension creaking

My first problem with the Jag

I have a 2010 XF SC, and after my first long road trip it's developed an odd creaking in the back that I noticed shortly after my return. It's more noticeable at low speeds but happens at any. At first, reading through other posts and websites it seemed like it was my trunk or rear seat, I ruled both out by testing with my seat down and trunk lid open. If I bounce the car up and down by having a friend sit in the trunk, I can hear the loud creaking coming from the driver side rear wheel well. Nothing odd that I can see from under the car but most of the suspension bits are out of view.

Drives me nuts because one of my favorite points about the car is how amazingly quiet it is in the cabin. The creaking is like nails on a chalkboard to me now. I got the car at 10k, it's now at ~13k, the sound just started happening.

Any thoughts from the techies out there? I would hope this is a warranty item, can't take it to the dealer until Monday.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Well, first of all, crack open the sunroof to the vent position and see if the sound changes. The rubber seal is too hard and when any dust gets in it starts creaking.

If you are sure the creak is from the suspension I recommend a service trip to your dealer right away. early cars sometimes had bolts go loose in the rear suspension. It would be wise to eliminate that possibility asap Also, there are a number of rubber bushings back there which could be creaking though that would be annoying rather than dangerous

The following users liked this post:
shikk (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the points jagular, ruled out sunroof and positive it's coming from the rear suspension (can hear it loud and clear when putting load on it with the car standing still). I will definitely keep driving to a minimum till I get it looked at now that you mention possible loose bolts!

Anyone else have a similar experience with their XF?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:20 PM

Car is at the dealer today, apparently it was the rear wishbone causing the noise, no issue other than noise but they are replacing anyway. Interesting that they noted this is the first time time an XF has been in for any kind of rear end issue. Lucky me :\.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Well, this model, the S Type predecessor and the X Type all suffer from premature wear of rubber bushings on some cars. The reason they replace the suspension arm as well is it is a bear to press in a new bushing at a shop.