XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Regular Oil vs Synthetic Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Also not quite true. In addition to API specs, the oil must also comply with Jag specs. Not all synthetic oils meet these specs.
My statement is entirely correct. Any SAE spec 5W-20 meets the requirement.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

You could probably buy the oil at a Ford dealer for less than a Jaguar dealer. Ford recommends the same oil for their 5.0L engine too.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Not true.

see post #10: meeting specification WSS M2C925-A. Do the research and you will find that oil meeting spec is rare. Use out of spec oil and the warranty is toast.
Again, any SAE 5W-20 meets the requirement. I challenge you to produce any documentation or public statement from Jaguar that says any SAE 5W 20 synthetic does not meet their requirements to fulfill the warranty.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:17 PM

OK, if you do not want to believe me, then maybe you will believe Edmunds and the people from Valvoline. Pay particular to the reference regarding the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act and how it effects your warranty.

Ten or 15 years ago, choosing the oil for your car was simple. All you needed to know was the viscosity — 5W-30, for example — and you could get a few bottles at the local auto parts store. But this simplicity is starting to go away.

General Motors' transition to a new oil specification for all its 2011 and newer vehicles is bringing new attention to the issue of manufacturer oil specifications. GM isn't the first to require such a specification, but its move signals a change in the car-maintenance landscape.

A manufacturer's oil specification is a unique blend that an automaker creates and mandates for use in its vehicles. GM's new oil product, Dexos, consolidates its five prior recommended oil specifications into two blends: Dexos1 for gasoline-powered vehicles and Dexos2 for diesels.

GM and other automakers warn that failure to use their factory-specified oils could void a car's warranty. These new oil specifications can also create confusion and cost issues for consumers who change the oil themselves or take their cars to local mechanics who may not be aware of the changes.

Oil Has Changed
The oil inside a modern engine might look just like it did a decade ago, but it actually is far more advanced. The American Petroleum Institute (API) and the International Lubricants Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) have set the standards for oil for the past 60 years and have changed the specifications roughly every five years. Oil needs to change to meet increasing emissions regulations, offer better protection against sludge and improve fuel economy.

"There has been a significant increase in lubricant quality in the past 20 years," says Robert Sutherland, principal scientist for Pennzoil passenger-car engine lubricants. "But there has also been a significant increase in the stress that the engines put on the lubricant."

Sutherland says it's a game of leapfrog. As the hardware moves forward, the oil specifications must also change to handle the additional heat and properly lubricate the engine. He adds that the tolerances in a modern engine are closer and tighter, which means that the oil's ability to keep critical engine parts clean is more important than it used to be.

Automakers' Own Recipes
The API and ILSAC standards are the baseline, says Timothy Miranda, senior engineer for race oil and field testing for Castrol Lubricants, which manufactures oil for automakers such as Audi, BMW and Volkswagen. Automakers are free to improve upon the standards as long as they meet the minimum requirements.

"They may choose to have their own specifications because of a unique aspect of their engine design," Miranda says. For example, if a car is turbocharged, it might require synthetic oil rather than conventional oil.

This manufacturer standard is more common among the German automakers, thanks to more stringent European oil specifications, Miranda says. Rather than have numerous blends for different regions, each automaker created one specification for its vehicles. They have brought those standards to the U.S., as Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen all have their own oil formulations.

According to Miranda, most American and Japanese automakers have tended to stick with the API guidelines. This means that they recommend any oil with the API "starburst" or "donut" symbol on its label.

GM distanced itself from the API guidelines with the introduction of Dexos. According to GM, the Dexos oil specification will decrease harmful piston deposits by up to 28 percent and improve fuel efficiency by up to 0.3 percent compared to the older ILSAC GF-4 specifications.

GM licenses the Dexos certification to motor oil manufacturers that can then choose to offer a full-synthetic variation, as long as it meets the requirements. Since Dexos-certified oil is compatible with older cars, the specification will also affect owners of pre-2011 GM vehicles who get their cars serviced at dealerships. Though Dexos isn't being mandated retroactively, chances are dealers will fill their bulk tanks with it to consolidate their oil inventory.

What This Means for the Consumer
More expensive maintenance: "The OEMs are looking for protection and the customer wants longevity," Miranda says. This protection comes at a cost. As manufacturer oil specifications become more common, the auto industry moves farther away from conventional oil and toward synthetic blends or fully synthetic oil. While these newer oils offer better protection and longer intervals between oil changes, they also have a higher price tag.

This price bump can be offset by the automakers who offer free maintenance programs. But when the coverage runs out, a customer who is not used to paying for a synthetic oil change could experience some sticker shock when faced with a $90 oil change.

Potential warranty problems: The language in some owner's manuals suggests that using an oil other than the one specified by the manufacturer will void the car's warranty. This is not the case, says Thom Smith, Valvoline's vice president of branded lubricant technology.

According to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, the onus would be on GM or another automaker to prove that a non-manufacturer oil damaged the engine. If dealers deny the warranty claim without first investigating it, they are in violation of the act, Smith says.

Consumers just need to make sure that any alternate oil they use is comparable in quality to the automaker's specified oil. Many oil manufacturers, including Valvoline, are so confident of their product that they offer their own warranty against engine damage that their products might be alleged to have caused.

If talk of voided warranties and engine damage makes you nervous, just use the manufacturer's specified oil for the duration of the warranty. Keep in mind that a vehicle's engine falls under the drivetrain warranty (also known as the powertrain warranty). In most cases, this is longer than the traditional bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Your local mechanic or quick-lube facility may not be aware of your car's specific oil requirements. You can still go to these places, but be sure to ask ahead of time what kind of oil they will use. Or bring your own oil to avoid any confusion.

Required manual reading: Not all cars require a manufacturer-specified oil. They do have a recommended viscosity, such as 0W-20, however. Check the owner's manual for any mention of a required brand or specification. If the manual doesn't name one, you can save money by buying oil at an auto parts store. Make sure it's the correct viscosity.

There are money-saving opportunities to be had even if your vehicle does call for a manufacturer-specified oil. For example, GM has a Web site that lists the approved Dexos oil manufacturers. Most of their products are available online or at auto parts stores and may cost less than at the dealership.

In some situations, the manufacturer-specified oil may not be in stores or it might cost more than you want to spend. Your vehicle's owner's manual will usually list the specifications for an equivalent oil that meets the automaker's standard. Does that mean it's just as good as a manufacturer-specified oil such as Dexos? There's controversy on this point.

Flack from the oil wars: Tom Read, a spokesperson for GM's powertrain technology group, warns that using an alternative oil might diminish performance.

"If a customer uses a non-licensed engine oil that is simply ILSAC GF-5 quality, they will not enjoy the benefits of using a Dexos-licensed product," Read says. Those benefits could include better low-temperature performance, cleaner pistons and better aeration performance, he says. "This could be especially important as the engine oil ages."

Read's case for Dexos sounds compelling, but Valvoline's Smith isn't buying it.

"Our SynPower 5W-20, 5W-30 and DuraBlend 5W-30 went through all the Dexos testing and passed all the requirements," Smith says. "But we felt that carrying the Dexos name was not providing the consumer with any value."

Rather than raise the price of its oil to offset the cost of licensing the Dexos name, Valvoline chose to forgo the license and keep the prices lower, he says.

Smith says that GM's engine-performance warnings are part of its goal to drive consumers to dealerships for their maintenance. "We feel that they are taking choice away from the consumer," he says.

Focus on the Oil Basics
Setting aside the claims and counter-claims of manufacturer-specified oil superiority, here's all you have to remember: As long as you follow the oil specifications shown in your owner's manual, you have nothing to worry about.

In the event that the dealership tries to void your warranty over the use of non-manufacturer oil, know that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will protect you. If your vehicle doesn't have an oil specification, you have more flexibility in choosing your product. Finally, make sure you know the proper viscosity for your car and change the oil at the proper interval.

Last edited by VapourTrail; 05-29-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by VapourTrail
Please go argue with Castrol themselves then

Castrol Edge | Castrol Syntec is now part of the edge family

Their 5W-20 Edge clearly does not meet WSS M2C925-A

Nor does their Titanium

Castrol Edge Titanium | Castrol's strongets and most advanced oil ever.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (06-30-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Your statement is clearly incorrect as the specification clearly says

Use only 5W-20 engine oil, meeting
specification WSS M2C925-A
There is no part of that snippet that is unclear or ambiguous.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Again, any SAE 5W-20 meets the requirement. I challenge you to produce any documentation or public statement from Jaguar that says any SAE 5W 20 synthetic does not meet their requirements to fulfill the warranty.
Try the "Owner's Vehicle Maintenance" booklet that comes with the vehicle. Read the complete section, and not just the few words that appeal to you.

Last edited by plums; 05-29-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

OK, if you do not want to believe me, then maybe you will believe Edmunds and the people from Valvoline. Pay particular to the reference regarding the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act and how it effects your warranty.
With regard to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, it has the effect that a manufacturer cannot tie you to a specific brand of oil without a specific remedy. If you don't believe it, go read the act itself.

Jaguar has not done that. They have required that the oil meet a specification. And that specification is not "any old 5W20 synthetic", it is the specification that has been laid out several times above.

Last edited by plums; 05-30-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: inserted the word "it"
Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 AM

Your statement is clearly incorrect as the specification clearly says

There is no part of that snippet that is unclear or ambiguous.
Try the "Owner's Vehicle Maintenance" booklet that comes with the vehicle. Read the complete section, and not just the few words that appeal to you.
With regard to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act has the effect that a manufacturer cannot tie you to a specific brand of oil without a specific remedy. If you don't believe it, go read the act itself.

Jaguar has not done that. They have required that the oil meet a specification. And that specification is not "any old 5W20 synthetic", it is the specification that has been laid out several times above.
You are wrong on all counts. Too bad you just don't understand the law when it comes to warranties. You have a right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts concerning the law. Go ahead and waste your money if you want and have the dealership do all you oil changes, but if you are like me and care to take care of your own car and save a little money too boot, then you will be in full compliance if you use ANY SAE spec synthetic 5W-20. There is not a court in the land that will support Jaguar voiding your warranty in such a case. I'm done here.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM

Too late for a pancake bunny?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

You are wrong on all counts. Too bad you just don't understand the law when it comes to warranties. You have a right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts concerning the law. Go ahead and waste your money if you want and have the dealership do all you oil changes, but if you are like me and care to take care of your own car and save a little money too boot, then you will be in full compliance if you use ANY SAE spec synthetic 5W-20. There is not a court in the land that will support Jaguar voiding your warranty in such a case. I'm done here.
Wrong again.

For the benefit of future readers who may be misled, a Jaguar representative has specifically addressed the oil specification in the concurrent thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-44/oil-83232/

Last edited by plums; 05-30-2013 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DPK (06-30-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your comments. I called back the dealership and they confirmed that they only put the Jaguar approved synthetic oil (Castrol for my case) during the maintenance. I must have misunderstood the service rep the first time.

Looking at my invoice I have the following item
8 x JB5W20 B5W20

Gab

Old 06-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealership specifically told me that ONLY synthetic oil should be used and nothing else. Personally I have used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic (none of the blended stuff) in my cars for years and would not think of using anything else..........don't think that guy knew what he was talking about.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I actually signed a statement at vehicle purchase acknowledging that the only oil that would meet the warranty requirements was spec WSS M2C925-A 5W-20. In that the oil is changed by Jaguar free of charge under their new car warranty on the MY 12 US spec cars, I am pretty sure the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act does not apply. It is pretty clear what the manuals, the recommendatipns, and the statement I signed say. I for one, don't have the time nor resources to sue Jaguar USA in federal court for enforcment of the act.
Vapour Trail- maybe you would like to begin a class action lawsuit against Jaguar on the premise of "anticipatory repudiation" of the warranty. That might have merit, except for the free oil change thing. I would certainly join that action!

Last edited by sparkenzap; 06-30-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,932 Likes on 7,182 Posts

I'm coming in way late.

First, I agree with the obvious distinctions made between oil *specification* and the *brand name* of the oil, relative to the Moss/Mag act. My interpretation agrees with Plums'.

That said.....

I have a question.....

Has anyone here ever had a Jaguar engine replaced under warranty? Or perhaps some of our dealer techs (if any of 'em still come 'round) can chime in?

If so, were you asked to prove that you used only an oil meeting the exact specification? Did oil specification even come up in the conversation? Was it ever *actually* used as a reason to deny the warranty coverage ?

I wouldn't advocate that anyone intentionally tempt the fates to save a few dollars (and certainly not to test a legal point!) but my experience, FWIW, is that manufacturers simply don't "go there".

I have no direct experience with Jaguar in this regard. Perhaps they are very hard nosed on the issue. Or perhaps they are like many other manufacturers and deny coverage only in rare cases of outright, flagrant....and provable...abuse.

I dunno. That's why I ask

My gut feeling is that the conversation is largely academic.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-30-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
My gut feeling is that the conversation is largely academic.

Cheers
DD
Yup. In reading this board from stem to stern almost every day, engine failures during the warranty period are unheard of. I can't remember even ONE being related to lubrication issues in cars that are out of warranty.

Since the oil charges are done as complimentary service by Jaguar during the warranty period, it's all a moot point as well as academic.

Putting my engine OEM (aviation) hat on, where warranties commonly last almost the entire service life of the engine, it's extremely rare to see the manufacturer go to the time and trouble of investigating a case where there's a one in a million chance that the oil type may/may not have played a part in the event.

The only instance I can think of is many years ago when a 'new and improved' formula was released by one of the major manufacturers (starts with M, ends with L, middle letter is a B) which offered only marginal improvement in high temperature conditions after shutdown- but unfortunately caused many of the seals and gaskets to dissolve. Ooops.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I do not normally go to the dealer for oil changes. Given the Castrol Synthec SLX Pro is not commonly available, I use the only other oil which is (1) Rated for 15,000 mile intervals, (2) of equivalent viscosity (5W-20) and exceeds the required specification (M2C925-A).

Mobil 1 Extended Performance (15,000 mile) 5W-20

Meets:-

ILSAC GF-5
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ACEA A1/B1
Ford WSS-M2C945-A (Supercedes & exceeds M2C925-A)
Ford WSS-M2C930-A

If you are fine with changing your oil every 7,000~8,000 miles, using the thinner Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy will give you slightly better fuel economy and slightly higher performance -- although I doubt the 7~10 bhp difference is tangible in real world driving.

----

There is no advantage to conventional oil. Synthetics are superior in every way and for every application if you don't mind the extra costs. The main difference being that it doesn't break down as quickly, so while both conventional and synthetic oils provide similar and/or more than required protection when new, synthetics continues to provide adequate protection longer. This is all provided you have not only a high efficiency filtration system and also proper contigency against a clogged filter and oil stravation.

Last edited by dwight looi; 06-30-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dwight looi
There is no advantage to conventional oil. Synthetics are superior in every way and for every application if you don't mind the extra costs. The main difference being that it doesn't break down as quickly, so while both conventional and synthetic oils provide similar and/or more than required protection when new, synthetics continues to provide adequate protection longer. This is all provided you have not only a high efficiency filtration system and also proper contigency against a clogged filter and oil stravation.

Heh heh. Not that I want to start a debate but I must say that this isn't a very convincing testimonial for synthetic.

It sounds like conventional oil will provide "similar and/or more than required protection...." for less money and without the additional requirements of a high efficiency filtration system ('system'?), and without contigency plans for clogs and oil starvation.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Heh heh. Not that I want to start a debate but I must say that this isn't a very convincing testimonial for synthetic.

It sounds like conventional oil will provide "similar and/or more than required protection...." for less money and without the additional requirements of a high efficiency filtration system ('system'?), and without contigency plans for clogs and oil starvation.

Cheers
DD
The main difference between synthetic oils and conventional and/or blended motor oils is that the base stock is not refined from petroleum. This allows it to contain only polyalphaolefin and polyethers. This allow the oil to be more stable over extended exposure to heat and pressure and not break down. More stable as in the viscosity and steer strength remain within the specified range. In addition, there is usually a greater amount of buffering additives which allow the oil to not go acidic over a longer duration. Synthetics allow the oil to be sufficiently protective over a 15,000 to 25,000 mile change interval. The oil itself will be fine as long as the filtration system hold up to its end of the deal. Conventional oils cannot do this.

The problem here is that good filters are supposed to trap the smallest of particulates. However, a filter that traps every little bit gunk also plugs up more quickly than a more porous filtration system. There are two ways you get around this, one is to use a very big filter element so it doesn't plug up over all those miles. The other is to use a bypass system, which should the filter plug up will pop a valve and allow the oil to go around the filter. This leaves you with no filtration, but that is better than oil starvation from a blocked filter.

If you are still stuck on the 3000 mile oil change mindset and don't mind frequently changing your oil. There is generally no advantage to using synthetic oils, after all when new they are of the right viscosity and specified sheer strength. I am not interested in that, I'll rather pay 4 times as much for the oil and change it once a year.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dwight looi
If you are still stuck on the 3000 mile oil change mindset and don't mind frequently changing your oil. There is generally no advantage to using synthetic oils, after all when new they are of the right viscosity and specified sheer strength. I am not interested in that, I'll rather pay 4 times as much for the oil and change it once a year.

If you're happy, I'm happy :-)

Cheers
DD

Quick Reply: Regular Oil vs Synthetic Oil