XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Remote keyless entry after the fact

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Remote keyless entry after the fact

Does anyone know if it is possible to install the Smart Key keyless entry option on an existing XF (2010 Luxury)? My XF is in the shop for minor work, and I have a 2011 XF Portfolio as a loaner. It has the keyless entry and I have to say I would love to have that. I bought my XF used from the dealer, so I didn't have the option. Would the wiring harness be already in the door, and the handle just need to be swapped out (and a program change, I'm sure)?

What about after the fact optional upgrades in general?

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interested is this as well but overall have found that XF owers aren't much into modding their cars so it's hard to get much info on these types of upgrades. Will keep my fingers crossed that there is a way to get this done without spening more than the car is worth to do it.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also very interested in getting this done to my 09 XF.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

My guess is that it would not be feasible. Besides any door handle changes, I think there would be one or more transmitter/sensor modules and maybe a control module that must be installed to make the system operational. I doubt that there are any major OEM electronic features that can be added to an an existing vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
mitch.thompson (04-24-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Not to mention the key fobs x 2. There will be a proximity sensor to add somewhere, maybe more than one. the ECU is probably the same in all cars just software will be different. It is the electronic hardware and installation that will cost money. Jaguar may not allow their dealers to add this stuff. Option pricing is normally very profitable. This is one reason I try not to buy any options. If dealers could just add selected options for competitive prices the profitable option packages would be a tough sell. It's a bit like cable or satellite TV packages. Some channels only sell because they are packaged with popular channels!

Last edited by jagular; 04-06-2012 at 11:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mitch.thompson (04-24-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So, I was looking at the manual tonight and it seems like there is a transmitter in the key for our smartkey and a module to recognize it (blinking red light). Now....I'm just supposing that on some cars, Jaguar may have just not installed the fuse to allow the keyless entry to work.

Unless someone can definitively tell me that the door handles are different with this system installed - I'll check fuses tomorrow. As an aside, Land Rover used to manufacture some of its vehicles with "additional" features that were just disabled via fuse or switch omissions. Fingers crossed....

Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by macc24
So, I was looking at the manual tonight and it seems like there is a transmitter in the key for our smartkey and a module to recognize it (blinking red light). Now....I'm just supposing that on some cars, Jaguar may have just not installed the fuse to allow the keyless entry to work.

Unless someone can definitively tell me that the door handles are different with this system installed - I'll check fuses tomorrow. As an aside, Land Rover used to manufacture some of its vehicles with "additional" features that were just disabled via fuse or switch omissions. Fingers crossed....
The door handle is different. As for fusing, I'll look at that, but not getting my hopes up.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch.thompson
The door handle is different. As for fusing, I'll look at that, but not getting my hopes up.
All 4 door handles are different, passive entry cars have a switch and an antenna in each one. There is also an antenna at the rear of the car. I can't speak to ALL base XF's, but one that I had apart did not have the harnessing for connecting the door handle. The front and rear smart junction box software is different, as is the keyless vehicle module. All that stuff is so integrated, I just don't think it's feasible to add passive entry. Considering the items I mentioned, I'd bet it's cheaper to trade out to an XF that does have passive entry.

Cheers,

Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

On a similar note: Have anybody seen a price list for adding iPod and USB interface? Even if the wiring has to be changed it is only from under the driver's seat to the bottom of the cubby in the centre arm rest. I believe the module under the seat (Portable Audio Module) is the same but even if not it would be a doddle to replace. Then some programming to the Integrated Audio Module (the main unit) to make it work.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Per - I did check with a person on ebay that sells OEM parts on if the module can be added and they said that they are not aware of the ability to order that specific part. I would think it should be a simple add-on as the main unit should have the ability to add the various interfaces, but as we are seeing with the keyless entry and Jag's lack of willingness to offer any OEM parts unless they are break/fix it might be hard to track down the part.