XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Remote start for Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start for Jaguar XF

I am planning to set up remote start for Jaguar XF 2013. Any one has experience on this ??

Would you suggest which company fits best and how much it cost ??

Old 12-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 272 Posts

I love remote start, but I wouldn't put one in a car that is still under warranty.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
I love remote start, but I wouldn't put one in a car that is still under warranty.
Why not? He'd be covered under the Magnuson Moss Act of 1975 saying it's illegal for a deal to deny a warranty claim simply because of aftermarket parts installed.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Maddshadez
Why not? He'd be covered under the Magnuson Moss Act of 1975 saying it's illegal for a deal to deny a warranty claim simply because of aftermarket parts installed.
Yea, good luck with that when you have your car in for some electrical issue.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Yea, good luck with that when you have your car in for some electrical issue.

The law specifically states the dealer has to prove it was the fault of the remote starter, they can't just say it is to get out of a claim. The law was written for this very purpose. If they try to deny a valid warranty claim without showing proof he'd win the lawsuit easily.

to the original poster, for what it's worth if you have a credible shop install it you will be totally fine. I've seen many XF's with it and it's on my to-do list as well. The equipment is usually priced between 150-300 for average models depending on bells and whistles, but installation will be extra. Make sure to find a remote with the range you need, keeping in mind walls reduce the range, and make sure they install a mercury switch under the hood.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

The law specifically states the dealer has to prove it was the fault of the remote starter, they can't just say it is to get out of a claim. The law was written for this very purpose. If they try to deny a valid warranty claim without showing proof he'd win the lawsuit easily.

to the original poster, for what it's worth if you have a credible shop install it you will be totally fine. I've seen many XF's with it and it's on my to-do list as well. The equipment is usually priced between 150-300 for average models depending on bells and whistles, but installation will be extra. Make sure to find a remote with the range you need, keeping in mind walls reduce the range, and make sure they install a mercury switch under the hood.
Well, there's one way to find out how that will work... Good luck.

But while your car is dead in the shop and won't move, and your going through months and months of expensive and time-consuming litigation, and you're still having trouble proving that their proof is wrong, when they could be right after all that your aftermarket remote installation that was done by some pot smoking, high school drop out while they were still hungover actually did mess up one of the many delicate controllers in your car, you'll remember this thread. And then you'll be like, "oh, but some dude called Maddshadez told me it would all be ok!"

Last edited by lotusespritse; 12-22-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:31 PM

No need to be a dick about it. I did mention finding a credible shop, not whatever the hell you typed. I'm telling you what the law says, I was married to a lawyer for 7 years so I've had my fill of being told about all sorts of random laws! Clearly you don't approve of him getting remote start, that's your opinion. In my opinion a legitimate shop can install it safely and he will be fine.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member

No need to be a dick about it. I did mention finding a credible shop, not whatever the hell you typed. I'm telling you what the law says, I was married to a lawyer for 7 years so I've had my fill of being told about all sorts of random laws! Clearly you don't approve of him getting remote start, that's your opinion. In my opinion a legitimate shop can install it safely and he will be fine.
Now you're being the dick. I am just trying to help people so they know that these laws may protect you, but the protection may be more pain than the cost of what they are trying to protect.

Even the most reputable stereo shops don't hire MIT and Harvard PhD's. These people don't give a crap about your car, and they screw up a lot of them. They love to tell stories about how they couldn't figure out how to get a lambo back together.

I wish life was as simple as you think it is. As an electrical engineer, I can tell you it's very likely that they will do something wrong to cause a problem with modern cars.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:07 PM

You're an electrical engineer, I'm a systems admin. Both of us had to take many certifications to get where we are. Mobile electronics installers have to do the same, getting their MECP certification. I'm not sure why you think all installers do this in their garage downing a 6 pack, but its simply not true. I spent 10 years in the mobile electronics scene and have met many installers. Are there bad ones, sure, just like there are some horrible engineers and admins. But the bad ones don't stay in business long. I would assume Jaguar owners do their research and get it installed by certified reputable installers.

If the original poster is paranoid enough, find a MECP master installer, there are 12 in Virginia (Mobile Electronics Certified Professional - My Site). You'll pay more, but you literally could not find anyone better equipped to do it.