Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I guess I can start my own experimentation

Old 12-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by boiler
I wonder how many people have data logged their IATs. I have and they were 25-30° above ambient cruising at 70 mph. On my STi and Edge they are normally 10° above ambient.

I am tempted to get some insulation not even header wrap just to see what kind of reduction we can expect.

Another issue i have with our intakes is the radiator hose that runs right next to the passenger side intake when it makes the bend to the black cloth like material before it enters the air box that is another area that should be insulated as well.

Being an engineer trying to solve a problem that doesn't really matter is so much fun.
Same with my Mazdaspeed 3. I had a Treadstone TR8 and my BATs were between 8°-11° over ambient. I've monitored my BATs on my XFR in the past using Torque and they're ridiculous (20° - 35°) over ambient under boost.

Honestly the fact that the supercharger and intercooler sit smack inside the V of the engine is going to make it nearly impossible to get those BATs down, except with an ice box inline with the aqua cooler... but where the hell would you put it? (Trunk?)

Then there's always meth. But you'd need a wideband to monitor it once you start leaning it out or adjusting the timing.

I agree with you though, the engineer in me loves the idea of lowering my BATs even a few degrees even though it would probably mean almost nothing in the end. LOL

Old 12-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by aliensporez
Same with my Mazdaspeed 3. I had a Treadstone TR8 and my BATs were between 8°-11° over ambient. I've monitored my BATs on my XFR in the past using Torque and they're ridiculous (20° - 35°) over ambient under boost.

Honestly the fact that the supercharger and intercooler sit smack inside the V of the engine is going to make it nearly impossible to get those BATs down, except with an ice box inline with the aqua cooler... but where the hell would you put it? (Trunk?)

Then there's always meth. But you'd need a wideband to monitor it once you start leaning it out or adjusting the timing.

I agree with you though, the engineer in me loves the idea of lowering my BATs even a few degrees even though it would probably mean almost nothing in the end. LOL
My first step in lowering the temps is to insulate that radiator hose. For the initial test i am using normal 3/4" hose insulation if that shows a decrease then i will proceed with better insulation. My other thought is how do we insulate the air box?

The temps I mentioned above were not under boost just cruising down 2920 @ 50 mph.

Another thing we could do if someone had a spare hood is cut out more vents to remove more air. I am guessing no one makes an after market hood.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:49 PM

My first step in lowering the temps is to insulate that radiator hose. For the initial test i am using normal 3/4" hose insulation if that shows a decrease then i will proceed with better insulation. My other thought is how do we insulate the air box?

The temps I mentioned above were not under boost just cruising down 2920 @ 50 mph.

Another thing we could do if someone had a spare hood is cut out more vents to remove more air. I am guessing no one makes an after market hood.
I noticed a few things:

I actually removed the plastic engine cover. It holds in heat and sound of the supercharger. I am going to wrap the intake runners with header wrap at some point. I wish we didn't have dual MAFs because then it would be so easy to replace the stock intake with large aftermarket piping to an aftermarket filter behind the left-lower grill. Oh well.

I noticed that the aquacooler supply lines to-and-from the top mounted intercooler touch each other at several points along their run which I'm sure allows some transfer of heat from the pre-cooled and post-cooled fluid. Those lines themselves are not insulated at all and, quite honestly, are quite small. I'm sure switching to bigger hoses would allow for more fluid to move through the intercoolers. At least wrapping them with heat wrap should help a bit.

There just so little real estate to work with under the hood to make anything easy.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

I took the TCP intake off, put stock on and just came back from a cruise and the Intake temp stayed around 97 and under boost it dropped, then coming off throttle it would go up. But pretty steady at 97. So I parked and it reached 104. This was with stock intake. I will put the TCP intake on tomorrow and do the same thing. We will see if stock is better and if the intake temp is higher.

Attached Thumbnails Removing Cats-image-961582354.jpg   Removing Cats-image-349811396.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 04:57 PM

As I suspected the radiator hose is introducing a ton of heat into the intake. I just did a short drive and the intake pipe above the hose is 105° and the pipe on the drivers side is 94°.

Header wrap is probably over kill for that application what are some other options to wrap the intake pipe and the radiator hose?

Old 12-13-2014, 05:00 PM

I noticed a few things:

I actually removed the plastic engine cover. It holds in heat and sound of the supercharger. I am going to wrap the intake runners with header wrap at some point. I wish we didn't have dual MAFs because then it would be so easy to replace the stock intake with large aftermarket piping to an aftermarket filter behind the left-lower grill. Oh well.

I noticed that the aquacooler supply lines to-and-from the top mounted intercooler touch each other at several points along their run which I'm sure allows some transfer of heat from the pre-cooled and post-cooled fluid. Those lines themselves are not insulated at all and, quite honestly, are quite small. I'm sure switching to bigger hoses would allow for more fluid to move through the intercoolers. At least wrapping them with heat wrap should help a bit.

There just so little real estate to work with under the hood to make anything easy.
Where in Houston are you I wonder if it would be easier to do this with both cars to test different things at the same time.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Keep it up guys. Hopefully we can make numerous small changes that will add up to some meaningful improvements.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:50 PM

Well I just insulated the entire intake from air boxes to TB with this stuff that I had laying around. Reflectix 16 in. x 100 ft. Double Reflective Insulation with Staple Tab-ST16100 - The Home Depot

It is not the best but better than nothing and it didn't take very long to due.

The results are it does work but not when you are driving. I did not notice a change from last night at a constant 50 mph the temps were the same. I did however notice a difference when idle. The temps did not increase near as fast so that tells me the insulation was working. Also i drove with the engine cover on and off and did not notice a difference in temperature.

So now I am wondering what is causing the high intake temps maybe it is the intercooler piping? As said above they are very close to each other and they do run near some radiator hoses in areas that probably do not get a lot of air flow. Also is the small radiator on the lower passenger side intake for the intercooler?

I know supercharged engines will have higher temperatures and if the intake after driving around for an hour is 85° yet the intake temp measured by the computer is 106° where exactly is the computer measuring the temperature?

Attached Thumbnails Removing Cats-20141213_223409.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 11:17 PM

Not sure if it measured pre or post supercharger. Maybe Brutal or other Jag techs can chime in.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:01 AM

Where in Houston are you I wonder if it would be easier to do this with both cars to test different things at the same time.
Missouri City. LOL, didn't realize you were in Houston too.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:36 AM

Missouri City. LOL, didn't realize you were in Houston too.
Yup in tomball

Old 12-14-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by chXFS
I took the TCP intake off, put stock on and just came back from a cruise and the Intake temp stayed around 97 and under boost it dropped, then coming off throttle it would go up. But pretty steady at 97. So I parked and it reached 104. This was with stock intake. I will put the TCP intake on tomorrow and do the same thing. We will see if stock is better and if the intake temp is higher.
Results are in. I installed the TCP aluminum intake and followed the same procedure. The car when on steady throttle stayed around 91, which is 6 degrees better than the stock intake and when parked, it sat at 100 vs 104 with stock. This could all be due to the weather, temps are in the 50,s as you can see with both tests. So in cooler weather the aluminum TCP wins this battle. I will be very curious when the weather here reaches 100 degrees if the outcome is the same. I did also notice that I averaged about 2 psi more VAC as well.

Attached Thumbnails Removing Cats-image-2224457763.jpg   Removing Cats-image-1725543515.jpg  

Last edited by chXFS; 12-14-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
When are you going to post some intake pictures?

TCP just started offering a 5L intake for all those 5L guys. I think that's is the first 5L intake on the market at the moment.
Shout out to Blackcoog!
TCP Intake

Attached Thumbnails Removing Cats-img_1677.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Blackcoog (02-04-2015)
Old 12-20-2014, 03:49 PM

I noticed a few things:

So I got bored and bought some 1/2" hose insulation smallest I could find. The wall thickness is to thick to insulate the hoses because they are so close together. I guess it would be easier if I knew which line was cold and which one is hot then I would only wrap the cold line.

If you put bigger hoses on would the stock pump be able to handle the larger pipe?

What I ended up doing was insulating the radiator hoses that should help a little.

The following users liked this post:
raulan (04-12-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpalace
Sorry for the delay guys.!!!...was chasing a Check Engine light, that we seem to have corrected so far..slight leak in a weld.
Will post this week.
Here is some pics.

where did you get those 90 degree O2 sensor fittings? I am going to do the same exhaust on my S type R.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by cpears
where did you get those 90 degree O2 sensor fittings? I am going to do the same exhaust on my S type R.
My Speed shop Technician fabricates them himslf I believe.