XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Replacement battery options

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Replacement battery options

I've know there's a thread here somewhere for replacement battery options for the XF's but I can't find it.

So, can you point me in the direction of the old thread, or provide alternatives to Jag for the battery?

I called this morning and $317 is a touch steeper than it needs to be...

Thanks.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM

I see that Jaguar went from 80 to 90 amp batteries for the 2012 model year. Is there any reason we can't use the 90 amp version in the 2010/11 models?

Old 09-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

As long as the battery fits and it is at least as good as the stock battery rating it will be fine.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM

Just discovered this:

http://www.jaguar.com/content/market...sporttoservice

Apparently the battery is covered for the 4 year warranty period.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:43 PM

So, I'm looking for a few opinions on this. Basically, the car has left me stranded a couple times over the last year, it's needed a boost and then has been fine for some time. As seems to be the rule with the XF's any use of the accessory mode has creamed the battery pretty quick, however, on a couple occasions I've jumped in with no use of the accessory mode and found the car dead. The last two mornings have been this way, I tested the voltage prior to charging and have about 10.5 volts each time.

This morning after charging the night before the battery showed 12.4 V. From what I understand this is marginal and could be into the 13's. So, this says one of several things:

1. The battery isn't charging properly while running
2. The battery is weak
3. The car is unpredictably discharging the battery while at rest

Any opinions, suggested diagnostics before I involve the dealer?

Old 10-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

At 10.5V, your battery is toast. Lead acid batteries can be killed by just one deep discharge.

A freshly charged battery that is not connected to the vehicle should show much higher than 12.4V.

After a rest to settle the surface charge, a fully charged battery must read at or over 12.8V.

Look up "state of charge" for the voltages that indicate the level of charge. I used that exact phrase when I posted the table.

Finally, there was some talk of a TSB covering a reflash to address the problem of charging.

I suspect the charging problems found in the latest models are related to the active control of the alternator. The ECM cuts off charging during high engine power demand activity and some makes even cut charging during idle to get a smoother idle.

If both your vehicle and the battery are still under warranty, I would just let the dealer worry about it.

BTW, previous models can easily consume 70 amps during normal operation. The newer ones probably consume even more. That's a lot of juice to be sucking out of a battery that is only being charged part of the time while the engine is running.

The following users liked this post:
wannajag (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

How old is the battery? Is it the original? 10V is really, really low. 4 years is about the shelf life of an OEM battery even though a lot of them are rated for longer. I went through 3 OEM batteries (2 replacements) in the few years I had my Acura.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wannajag
So, I'm looking for a few opinions on this. Basically, the car has left me stranded a couple times over the last year, it's needed a boost and then has been fine for some time. As seems to be the rule with the XF's any use of the accessory mode has creamed the battery pretty quick, however, on a couple occasions I've jumped in with no use of the accessory mode and found the car dead. The last two mornings have been this way, I tested the voltage prior to charging and have about 10.5 volts each time.

This morning after charging the night before the battery showed 12.4 V. From what I understand this is marginal and could be into the 13's. So, this says one of several things:

1. The battery isn't charging properly while running
2. The battery is weak
3. The car is unpredictably discharging the battery while at rest

Any opinions, suggested diagnostics before I involve the dealer?
Hey Wannajag,

My vote is the battery, I had a similar issue with my 2010 XFSC. I had the battery & Alternator tested and re-tested because I was told it had to be the car. I changed out the battery during the winter of 2012 and never had another problem. I also changed some of my habits. I stop letting the screen saver cut off by itself, I turned it off manual. I also shut off the interior lights manual if I wasn't using the key fob to lock the doors. I also stop using the head light auto shut off. I don't know if that made a difference but like I said, I never had another problem unitl the day I traded her in. Jaguar must have took note of the problem, because my 2013 doesn't leave the sreen saver or interior lights on longer then a few seconds when I don't use the key fob to lock the doors. Also the auto headlight feature shuts of all the exterior lights within a few seconds with exception of the headlights which shut off at the time you set them to. I wish I had of known I was going to be trading her in, I wouldn't have invested the funds on the top of the line battery.
BTW, I still got that low battery message on my screen randomly for no appearent reason.

The following users liked this post:
wannajag (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wannajag
I've know there's a thread here somewhere for replacement battery options for the XF's but I can't find it.

So, can you point me in the direction of the old thread, or provide alternatives to Jag for the battery?

I called this morning and $317 is a touch steeper than it needs to be...

Thanks.
I just replaced mine a couple of months ago. I got the battery at O'Reilly for about $180. The store had plenty in stock as it was the same fitment as a super duty pickup.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Direct replacement battery, Interstate MTPH8 should cost around $180.00 Not including labor

Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Received 309 Likes on 114 Posts
Default iPod was causing battery low signal

I had left my iPod plugged in to may USB port in the armrest and notice after leaving it sit for days or sometimes overnight. I would get the low battery warning and sometimes find a dead battery. Now I never leave it plugged in. This seems to have been my problem. Those stupid iPod's seem to be designed to be so difficult to turn off.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

There's a software issue whereby the infotainment system doesn't completely turn off and kills your battery. I had this done on my 2010 XF and it helped, but by then the battery was a bit weakened anyway. You should see if the software update was done on your car. If you're still under warranty, I would take it to the dealer and have them look at the whole electrical system and hopefully do the software update and give you a new battery as well. If you need to buy a battery, I would suggest AutoZone's Duralast Platinum H8, which is completely sealed and an easy replacement.

Last edited by Long Islander; 10-06-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I did my 2010 SC battery a month ago. It left me stranded at the Airport twice. First time I didn't believe it was bad .... and second time it confirmed it. It would be fine if you only left it over night but more than a day or two and it was dead flat. First time it had almost enough juice to crank. Second time not even enough to open the locks.

I found the dealer battery price for OEM (parts desk) was quite reasonable and I dropped it in myself. It has been perfect since.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:00 PM

Well, the good news is it was replaced on warranty with no questions asked. I have to say, I get good service from my dealer here. In addition they updated the NAV system's software which is now much faster, the menu's come in and respond quicker.

Anyway, here's to a good news story on our cars!

Old 07-14-2020, 04:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Battery Replacement Recommendation

After considerable research and confusion I purchased a Odyssey battery (Model 59-950 @$240) for my 2010 XFR. Odyssey is top rated by Consumer Reports and others say they are the best battery manufacturer. The battery was packaged like jewelry. It weighed 65 pounds as compared to the OEM at 50.5 pounds. My ace mechanic said he always replaces the battery on all cars with the engine running...no need to power up the terminals as most recommend. In and out in 20 minutes and NO ISSUES. Obviously one needs to be very careful with the terminals avoiding contact with other metal surfaces. I held the terminals to the side while he R&R the battery. Total no brainier. Odyssey batteries from now on for me. Made in the USA, but maybe all others are as well.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:38 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I have an oddessy as well, got a great deal from FCP euro with lifetime replacement. Never did the swap out while running trick, its not that much of an issue resetting everything, took me 5 minutes tops

Not sure running go the alternator alone will cause any abnormal voltages since the batter usually acts as a capacitor to keep voltages constant and these cars are so finicky But as long as it works for you

Old 07-15-2020, 05:51 PM

Correction: battery is a Odyssey 49-950.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jssaab
I have an oddessy as well, got a great deal from FCP euro with lifetime replacement. Never did the swap out while running trick, its not that much of an issue resetting everything, took me 5 minutes tops

Not sure running go the alternator alone will cause any abnormal voltages since the batter usually acts as a capacitor to keep voltages constant and these cars are so finicky But as long as it works for you
Jssaab, good point about the electrical unknowns when running without a battery in place. I agree with that concern. My ace mechanic said he has used that trick hundreds of times without issue...but I still was apprehensive. I brought my own battery pack to plug into my tender wiring which connections to the battery terminals, but the negative connection was on the clamp bolt and became lose...so that idea wouldn't work. Next time I will correct that problem and have the battery pack conneted to the terminals and have the engine running.