XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

replacing the battery in my 2012 XF

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Anybody have problems getting the auto-up to work on the rear windows after doing this? I can get the click down, but don't hear anything when I roll them up and hold.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by n8ertot
Anybody have problems getting the auto-up to work on the rear windows after doing this? I can get the click down, but don't hear anything when I roll them up and hold.
as another poster wrote in the preceding post, this is a common problem, after changing the battery.. try all the windows a few times - up and down.. same with parking brake.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguarxjl
as another poster wrote in the preceding post, this is a common problem, after changing the battery.. try all the windows a few times - up and down.. same with parking brake.
Yeah, I've done it many, many times. Both front windows are working, as is the brake. Not sure why the rears aren't, but it sounds like there's no particular trick to it. I'll just keep trying.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:03 PM

today, at a local store, I saw a "memory saver"
On one end, it goes into a diagnostic port.
On the other end, it goes into a cigarette lighter (presumably, a jump start battery)
I had my battery swapped at that store. $117, including installation and taxes.
And they preserved the memory settings just fine.
Great deal!

Old 11-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
The following users liked this post:
XJL (11-19-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 XFR
Take a look at this for a cheap memory saver.

Amazon.com: CTA Tools 3002 Computer Memory Saver: Home Improvement
I ordered it.. but as I wrote in the preceding post, it is useless.. Because that 9v battery will get drained instantaneously, when you open the trunk to change the battery. The light which turns on, when you open the trunk, is not LED. It draws a lot of power.

Instead, you might wish to consider but frankly, I would not use any of these.. they might blow a fuse!
Amazon.com: SOLAR ESA30 OBD II Memory Saver Connector: Automotive Amazon.com: SOLAR ESA30 OBD II Memory Saver Connector: Automotive

Old 11-08-2015, 12:47 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Just a side note of caution for people contemplating using an AGM Battery...

AGM = (Absorbent Glass Mat), which means the cells (6/2V) of the battery are factory filled with a minimum amount of free electrolyte (H2SO4), usually less than 50 mL ..the AGM manufactures all recommend a lower than normal charge rate vs what the car puts out normally for a flooded wet cell lead/acid battery...so be careful..you may gas out all the electrolyte's water content sooner than that of a normal flooded cell battery...Thereby killing the battery sooner.

Last edited by DPK; 11-08-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:58 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I ordered it.. but as I wrote in the preceding post, it is useless.. Because that 9v battery will get drained instantaneously, when you open the trunk to change the battery. The light which turns on, when you open the trunk, is not LED. It draws a lot of power.
Good Point..I forgot about that trunk light....I wouldn't trust putting power into the OBDII port...sounds risky.

I recommend this one... You can steal the power from another battery or another car.

Automotive Car Computer Black Box Data Memory Recorder Engine Maintenance Tool | eBay

Last edited by DPK; 11-08-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post New Battery

FYI

Just had my battery replace under warranty (I have a 2011 XFR). Dealer replaced with 6 yr Interstate battery. They said original battery will last 4 years at best.

HTH.

Paul

Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Calif XFR
FYI

Just had my battery replace under warranty (I have a 2011 XFR). Dealer replaced with 6 yr Interstate battery. They said original battery will last 4 years at best.

HTH.

Paul
Interstate are rated as one of the top 3 batteries. But they are expensive.. Perhaps $200+. I got mine done at a local farm and fleet - store brand made by East Penn. They were able to save the memory. And it cost only $110 (made by East penn) I prefer to replace battery, every 3 years. Being in wisconsin, it is not worthwhile for me to even wonder.. I realize that they can do load test etc.. But for $110, its cheap for peace of mind.. Btw, I believe east penn is a large manufacturer for Duracell auto batteries.

Last edited by jaguarxjl; 11-19-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:12 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Calif XFR
FYI

HTH.

Paul
Good to know..My Jag tech friend recommended Interstate also...did you by chance get a style name or model number for the Interstate battery?

Old 11-19-2015, 02:23 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

I've had a really positive experience with the Duralast Gold Battery, H8-DLG from Autozone. $143. I now keep it on a battery tender 1-2 nights per week.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by XJL
I've had a really positive experience with the Duralast Gold Battery, H8-DLG from Autozone. $143. I now keep it on a battery tender 1-2 nights per week.
Any reason you feel you need to put it on a battery charger at night? I would expect/assume that the battery would be fully charged, under normal use, unless you don’t use the car for extended periods of time and are in a very cold winter climate. Typically, the alternator charges the battery at a very high current and will keep it topped off, very quickly. Nothing wrong with trickle charging of course.. but just for my information, I am curious to know why you would need to do so.
thanks.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I replaced mine with the Interstate AGM battery and it works great. I can run my stereo (with a non-digital 900w amp) for a while and have no issues starting it after. I also don't drive it for periods of up to 2 weeks other than very short errands and it always starts up strong.

I know I paid more than I could have, but after having a Diehard Gold AGM in another vehicle for 5 years and running it down fully twice, it still starts up very eagerly every day, even if it's sat a week or so.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
Good to know..My Jag tech friend recommended Interstate also...did you by chance get a style name or model number for the Interstate battery?
DPK,

The battery is a Mega-Tron Plus:
- MTP-49/H8
- CCA 730
- CA 910
- RC 175
- AH100

Thx.

DPK (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I replaced mine with the Interstate AGM battery and it works great. I can run my stereo (with a non-digital 900w amp) for a while and have no issues starting it after. I also don't drive it for periods of up to 2 weeks other than very short errands and it always starts up strong.
As long as you are not in winter in cold climate, a car with fully charged battery should start even after several months.
I wonder if AGM batteries are better for starting at -10 F, overnight? Maybe they are? Maybe they won't freeze as much as the regular kind?
If so, they would be so worth the extra money..
I am told that AGM batteries are superior.. not sure in exactly what features.. Hopefully, higher cca?

Old 11-20-2015, 01:42 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

My 2012 XF is now 3 years old.
With the midwest winter coming.. I am wondering if I should get a new battery.
This jaguar tech says that the battery should be replaced by jaguar dealer, because they calibrate something.
I just talked to my Jag-Tech friend and he said they told him at the Jaguar training school that it isn't needed to re-calibrate the battery monitor as it relearns over a short period of time and settles in on it's own..All it does is monitor the charge rate of the battery and as the battery gets closer to the end of it's service life, it will start asking for more charge current to get it back to normal...the New battery will tell the monitor it don't need as much and the system self calibrates for the new battery after few minutes of charging..

tgibbs94 (01-27-2016)
Old 11-20-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
I just talked to my Jag-Tech friend and he said they told him at the Jaguar training school that it isn't needed to re-calibrate the battery monitor as it relearns over a short period of time and settles in on it's own..All it does is monitor the charge rate of the battery and as the battery gets closer to the end of it's service life, it will start asking for more charge current to get it back to normal...the New battery will tell the monitor it don't need as much and the system self calibrates for the new battery after few minutes of charging..
I have already written that I replaced the battery. The calibration part I was asking was actually about re-learning the window auto up function (as someone else wrote). I went to a local store.. they used a battery saver and swapped my battery. All works well. I think they used a battery saver which connects to the diagnostic port. They were selling one there. I would not have used it.. but they probably used it.. and it worked out fine.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:56 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I have already written that I replaced the battery. The calibration part I was asking was actually about re-learning the window auto up function (as someone else wrote). I went to a local store.. they used a battery saver and swapped my battery. All works well. I think they used a battery saver which connects to the diagnostic port. They were selling one there. I would not have used it.. but they probably used it.. and it worked out fine.
I know you did..But in your very first post, you posted that YouTube link about the calibration needed for the battery monitor..I was replying to that to clear up anyones concerns..

Glad your battery change worked out good.

Now go have a Brat and Beer for me this weekend..

Old 01-27-2016, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
Thanks, DPK. That was the answer I was looking for!

DPK (01-27-2016)

Quick Reply: replacing the battery in my 2012 XF