XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Resonator delete on the cat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resonator delete on the cat?

Looking to take the resonator off my jaguar xf 2010 pushing a 5.0 v8 bone stock. Any suggestions or ideas? Anything I should consider before putting the big cat through surgery?

Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

XF_boy, first off, welcome to the forums. Lots of good information and people here. But, we pride ourselves in being a better car group. As part of this, we like to get to know one another. So, if you would please, stop by the New Member Section and tell us a little bit about yourself. THis will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your exhaust upgrade, you can remove the resonator and not have any issues. The question becomes what are you looking to get out of the exhaust? I am guessing that you want more power. To make the upgrade worthwhile, I would say that you need to plan on spending about $800 USD as you can remove the 2 downstream cats (assuming you have 4 installed from the factory) and then you will want to install a true dual exhaust with a cross over (X-Pipe) pipe. Based on the 5.0L motor, you will not want to go over dual 2.5" pipes.

I would also say to upgrade the mufflers, but this is where things get very subjective as the good sound to one person is a horrible sound to another.

Let us know what you are wanting out of the exhaust system and then we can give more detailed information.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Welcome! Yes many of us have been experimenting with exhaust so there is a wealth of knowledge here on the subject. I would guess that few have heard as many exhaust combinations as I have on an XFR. I've heard Mina, Arden, stock with x-pipe, stock with x-pipe and muffler valve delete (my current setup), the custom 3" GSR exhaust and a custom cat back exhaust from Muffler Man. I know it will be different on a NA 5.0 but if you let us know the volume and tone of the sound you're looking for, we should be able to get you started in the right direction.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys appreciate the time u guys took to type up that response. I'm actually not looking to spend 800 but KS one of my buddies said that a resonator delete can cost around 60 bucks but I'm just wondering if it would be to loud and annoying? I doubt I would get annoyed listening to that marvelous V8 under the hood but my family members might not like the car being so loud. Do you guys know how the sound d of it would be after the removal of the resonators?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Getting rid of just the resonator is not going to change the volume all that much (slightly louder, especially under harder acceleration). But, the sound pitch is not going to change all that much. This is where changing the diameter of the piping, the size of the muffler volume, length of tubing all come into play. Building an exhaust system is like making a custom instrument (think a trumpet vs a tuba). The length and size of the piping will dictate what sounds come through. What makes an exhaust system quiet isn't so much how much air it is flowing, but how well the system can take the pulses of air leaving the engine (from each cylinder firing) and somehow blend the pulses together (by stretching them out through reflections inside the various chambers like the resonator) and turn them into a constant flow of gas. You get a constant flow of gas, you will get a very quiet exhaust system. You start letting the pulses come through, things tend to get loud.