XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Restricted performance issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 01:07 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Restricted performance issues

I've been living with a "Restricted Performance" problem for a little while now, and finding it difficult to nail down the cause. The car will start and run fine, sometimes. Other times it will "hunt" when I start and is slow to respond to the throttle. However, if I rev it past 3000rpm, while in park, it will stop hunting and tick over nicely at idle, accompanied by the "Restricted performance" message. It will drive ok, but with a lack of power in the lower range, with slower than normal acceleration , but ok at the top end, cruising along fine.
Sometimes it will start and run fine, but after a short time driving, maybe 5 to 15 minutes, it will start hunting and losing power. If I stop and turn off the engine it will usually display the "Restricted performance" message upon restarting and will run with low power in the lower end as described above.
Yesterday it displayed the DPF full message, but drove without any issues and no other warning messages, including "Restricted performance". Performance was fine. But I topped up my diesel and put a can of DPF cleaner into it and took it for a bit of a run.
After the run, I stopped, turned off the engine, switched back on again and the DPF message was gone. However, within about 5 minutes, the restricted performance message, and condition, returned. For what it's worth, I had the fuel and air filters changed just very recently, but that didn't help. Just eliminating the quick, simple fixes first. So, any suggestions to that end? Where to look, what to check, the simpler the better, before I start looking at replacing, or a least cleaning the EGR valves or Catalytic converter.
Anybody have a similar issue? Any thoughts much appreciated. 2009 xf 3.0D

Old 02-18-2023, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by sogood
I've been living with a "Restricted Performance" problem for a little while now, and finding it difficult to nail down the cause. The car will start and run fine, sometimes. Other times it will "hunt" when I start and is slow to respond to the throttle. However, if I rev it past 3000rpm, while in park, it will stop hunting and tick over nicely at idle, accompanied by the "Restricted performance" message. It will drive ok, but with a lack of power in the lower range, with slower than normal acceleration , but ok at the top end, cruising along fine.
Sometimes it will start and run fine, but after a short time driving, maybe 5 to 15 minutes, it will start hunting and losing power. If I stop and turn off the engine it will usually display the "Restricted performance" message upon restarting and will run with low power in the lower end as described above.
Yesterday it displayed the DPF full message, but drove without any issues and no other warning messages, including "Restricted performance". Performance was fine. But I topped up my diesel and put a can of DPF cleaner into it and took it for a bit of a run.
After the run, I stopped, turned off the engine, switched back on again and the DPF message was gone. However, within about 5 minutes, the restricted performance message, and condition, returned. For what it's worth, I had the fuel and air filters changed just very recently, but that didn't help. Just eliminating the quick, simple fixes first. So, any suggestions to that end? Where to look, what to check, the simpler the better, before I start looking at replacing, or a least cleaning the EGR valves or Catalytic converter.
Anybody have a similar issue? Any thoughts much appreciated. 2009 xf 3.0D
did you have a check engine light on? Have you run it for codes? It could be so many different thing. on my STR I got restricted performance when the pump for the supercharger wasn’t working and it was getting too hot on the intake charge. without running the codes it could be several things.

Old 02-18-2023, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
did you have a check engine light on? Have you run it for codes? It could be so many different thing. on my STR I got restricted performance when the pump for the supercharger wasn’t working and it was getting too hot on the intake charge. without running the codes it could be several things.
The check engine light comes on occasionally but it will clear with a hard reset. I used a basic obd2 reader on it and it threw up P2263 related to the turbo I think and P0402 EGR flow excessive, whatever that signifies. Thanks for the response.

Old 03-05-2023, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF sensors

I had this issue on an 09 XFSC that I just bought yesterday. The RPM would go up and down at idle in park or neutral. When I’m gear it didn’t have an issue. I cleaned both MAF sensors with a spray cleaner and it resolved the issue.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:26 PM
Default Restricted Performance isdues

Originally Posted by CAT-GUY
I had this issue on an 09 XFSC that I just bought yesterday. The RPM would go up and down at idle in park or neutral. When I’m gear it didn’t have an issue. I cleaned both MAF sensors with a spray cleaner and it resolved the issue.
Many thanks for the responses guys. I have a mechanic, very familiar with Jaguars and all their peculiarities, looking at it soon. I'll leave it to him for the moment and report back with his findings.

Old 12-15-2023, 02:33 PM
Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Scanning the car

I should have mentioned about scanning the car. I have adecent scanner and intend doing it this weekend. I will list all codes after I have done it. I have use of a lift too, so going to check for peaks underneath.
will report back.
Paul

Old 12-15-2023, 02:34 PM
Default Sorry

Apologies, leaks*

Old 12-20-2023, 10:53 AM
Default Fault Codes

Hi all. The car was driving OK, except when it went into Restricted Performance. My battery was showing a faily low voltage (11.1v) so I changed it for a new one this morning. Took the car for a drive, and all seemed fine until I tried to put my foot down! The Amber light came on, but of course I couldn't see what was wrong as the information part of the speed clock still doesn't come on with any kind of message! I tried to use the scanner Battery Maintence System (BMS) feature, but it stated the function wasn't supported on my vehicle. For those wondering, the tester I have is an iCarsoft CR Pro.
I managed to limp back home... maximum it would do was 25 MPH and spluttering, there was a constant annoying beeping as soon as I moved, the beeping stopped when the car stopped and started again as soon as I moved? When I got home I turned everything off, plugged the tester in again and switched on, the Amber light went out, started up, still no Amber light and it revved fine again, so seems to have cleared?

I did the tests, and found quite a few odd codes that I was able to fix, lamps out, that sort of fault. However, these ones I don't know what they are, and if I don't know, I don't touch!! So I thought I would throw them out on here...
U1262 - SCP (J1850) Communication Bus Fault
B2162 - Right Side Module Invalid Identification
C1719 - Front Left Center Sensor - Circuit Fault (I have picked up a new sensor today and will fit tomorrow
B2139 - Data Mismatch

Not sure if the above are related in any way, but I did notice someone on the Forum in the past has had the very same 2 faults... but I didn't notice a 'resolved / fixed' message. It turned dark, so didn't try a test drive again to see if the Amber Light and beeping sound had gone. I will do this when it's light again tomorrow.

Any suggestions are always welcome. Not much drives better than our jaguars, but when the electrics go wrong it's so frustrating!!!
Paul