XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Restricted Performance Top 10?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Restricted Performance Top 10?

Hi.
Forgive the newbie questions but....
I have a 2009 3.0D Prem Lux XF which has recently started the dreaded 'Restricted Performance' issue.
I've scanned the forums and come up with copious threads on the subject and know that I need the codes to narrow down the cause (just dropped off with dealer).

My first question is, therefore, can anyone highlight the top 10 (say) most likely reasons for restricted performance in the 3.0D. Being armed with ajust little enough knowledge to be dangerous might help me with the next call from the dealer.

The second is around drilling into my more specific case. I believe I'm getting the issue when the car switches from cold to hot running. It tends to occur shortly after joining the motorway, which is 5 minutes from my house, not under heavy acceleration but in most cases when calmly cruising at, let's say, the 'top end' of the motorway speed range. After a swift hard-shoulder reset it cruises the rest of the (30+ mile) mixed motorway and surface road journey with no problems.

The car has 73K miles with a largely swift motorway and surface road usage profile. Most with a heavy boot. So I don't think it's DPF related (or at least it gets plenty of horsing to blast away the build-up). There's certainly no DPF or other warning light.

With it being around the time of cold to hot switch, does that suggest to our learned forum members that it could be in the mix? Too lean? Air system? Do these diesel engines have some form of automatic choke?

Finally, it has had the service due warning when the service isn't due. Done in Feb at 62K and it's currently on 73K (16K service interval). However, I noticed that the cheeky / sneaky dealer did mark my service book as 'Arduous Usage' at the last service, which may explain the ECU's desire for an early service. Has my dealer been reading my usage profile from logged codes, are they just working from mileage records (ca. 20K per annum), or are they just at it?

Thoughts appreciated.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Default Update

Cheeky 'B@' of a dealer wants £75 (pointed out after the fact) for reading my fault codes and has now suggested a 'pressure test on the inter-cooler' at a cost of another £108 before looking in any further.

I feel a severe sting coming on.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Get an OBD tool with live data - elm327 is a fiver from Amazon - and DIY. It'll read codes and a lot more.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Get an OBD tool with live data - elm327 is a fiver from Amazon - and DIY. It'll read codes and a lot more.
Good shout. Funnily enough that was the first thing I ordered yesterday.
By way of further update, they have said my ECU was 'littered with loads of fault codes'. After passing the £108 pressure test with flying colours (i.e. wasted cash) they now £224 to replace 'cross-over valve' also known as a 'turbo shut off valve'.
Sound plausible?

Old 08-23-2013, 04:09 AM
Default Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! !!!!

So.... forked out:-
£75 just to get my codes read.
£108 for a pressure test on the inter-cooler which showed no problems.
£264 to have the cross-over / turbo shut-off valve replaced.
Plus £390 to get the lower rear bushes replaced (unrelated to RP issue, of course).

£837 (£447 directly related to RP) and the Restricted Performance light comes back on again this morning!!!

C'mon mechanics out there.... what are they (my dealership) up to?

Old 08-23-2013, 04:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would wait for the code reader and then check it yourself before giving any more money to the dealer (*******!) you can get exact codes then / clear them and then have a much better idea.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Default Now they're taking the p!ss....

So, today's update in the saga is that they want another £900 to replace the turbo acctuator and vacuum valve as a job lot.
Oh, but they'll knock £100 off that because it would have been cheaper to have done that yesterday when they did the turbo crossover / cut-off.

And they didn't even have the courtesy to offer me a reach-around!

Told them to send it back. Another dealer (from same main franchise!)quoted £650 the lot but says I probably don't need the vacuum valve, which would make it only £500.

Should I get them done as a set (acctuator and vaccum valve) or just go with the acctuator?

C'mon mechanics.... at your mercy here.

The following users liked this post:
Canuckster1169 (05-02-2023)
Old 08-27-2013, 03:16 AM
Default Update

So.... sent the XF off to the second dealership yesterday and they have said that they believe the intercooler is leaking (despite first dealership saying that it passed the pressure test).
They are now going to do the turbo accutator and let me know if the vacuum valve also needs done.
They've said that if the intercooler is to be fixed, it's another £400+.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, what was hte outcome of this ?

Having a similar problem, within 5 minutes of driving from morning start got the 'dreaded' message.

Have just been quoted of £100+ for software check (aparently these is a bulletin) with an additional £870+ if the turbo actuator needs replacing.

Any help or advice would be greatful.

Cheers.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wat007
Hi.

The second is around drilling into my more specific case. I believe I'm getting the issue when the car switches from cold to hot running. It tends to occur shortly after joining the motorway, which is 5 minutes from my house, not under heavy acceleration but in most cases when calmly cruising at, let's say, the 'top end' of the motorway speed range. After a swift hard-shoulder reset it cruises the rest of the (30+ mile) mixed motorway and surface road journey with no problems.
Last month I experienced the same symptom, but only once. I pulled over and turned the engine off then back on and it went away. I also had a "service engine" light a few days later - but this was simply the Jag recording a 'misfire on cylinder 2 - the dealer reset of course for free. Again I was slamming it in S mode on both occasions.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by wat007
So.... forked out:-
£75 just to get my codes read.
£108 for a pressure test on the inter-cooler which showed no problems.
£264 to have the cross-over / turbo shut-off valve replaced.
Plus £390 to get the lower rear bushes replaced (unrelated to RP issue, of course).

£837 (£447 directly related to RP) and the Restricted Performance light comes back on again this morning!!!

C'mon mechanics out there.... what are they (my dealership) up to?

Dude I would go back to the dealer and make him fix it - if he does not then ask for your money back, if he does not give it back, then you need to resort to some serious persuasion and get the dealer blacklisted. Something about UK dealerships really p***** me off.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bollocsk187
Last month I experienced the same symptom, but only once. I pulled over and turned the engine off then back on and it went away. I also had a "service engine" light a few days later - but this was simply the Jag recording a 'misfire on cylinder 2 - the dealer reset of course for free. Again I was slamming it in S mode on both occasions.
Worry about that code. If it's misfiring you can't usually feel it but it's doing cat damage. Has to be quite bad before an actual code flags. Damage occurs all the time till then and then as well. Clearing the code doesn't fix a thing!

Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 PM

The dealer was the one thatcleared the code and said come back if it happens again - LOL

Old 10-09-2014, 05:08 PM

i had a restricted performance on my jag it ended up being mass aif flow sensor (MAF)was dirty..but idk

Old 10-10-2014, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member

The dealer was the one thatcleared the code and said come back if it happens again - LOL
They're probably happy to let your cat go bad as it's not their problem. It's yours.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Default Update

Hi all.
Sorry for not closing the loop on this one sooner. I should have given feedback to let you all know how I got on.
So... this was all kicking off between August and October last year (2013).
The car went into the first dealership franchise in Edinburgh for two visits and they couldn't fix it. Charged for software updates, code reading, pressure tests, and chucking a couple of perfectly good parts in the bin (all at my expense).
So, I took it off them and gave it to the Dealership franchise that I bought it from, in Perth, as I felt I had a better relationship with them.
They then had a another three visits and chucked more perfectly good parts in the bin, most at my expense. Although, they actually repeat-replaced other parts claiming they had fitted them after they had been recalled (at their expense).
After the third visit to Perth (5th overall) it came back and immediately went into RP.
Rattle-out-the-pram-time.
I called, asked for, and spoke to, the Dealership Principal. Turns out he was the DP for both franchise branches (Edinburgh and Perth), so I had him on the ropes from the outset.
I told him I was travelling a distance with the family that weekend (up north) and so would be up in an hour to drop my car off, and would expect a courtesy car. He flapped a fair bit and tried to explain that he didn't have a courtesy car for another week. I explained that this would be fine, as I would be having HIS car until mine was fixed.
I duly arrived at the dealership an hour later, handed over my XF keys, and took charge of his Audi. I told him he wasn't getting it back until he was personally happy at having driven my XF for at least a week / 500 miles with no issues. I also told him he could whistle for any further payments from me (i.e, that I did not expect any further bills).
A week later my XF was returned with no further issues and no further bill.
As an aside, his Audi 'performed magnificently' all the way up the A9, around the highlands, and back down through Glencoe. Anyone who knows those roads will know just how much work his Audi did under a heavy boot. Tee hee.
The XF was fine for about 10 more months (which for me is about 14,000 miles). Alas, though, the dreaded RP did return with a vengeance.
See my other thread here from this year's post on this forum for part two of the saga:-
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-help-125479/
(I need to update that one too, so will do so now).

Old 07-02-2016, 06:38 PM

I'm having a very similar problem with a 2007 XKR. OBDII indicated 'misfire on cylinder 1' so replaced spark plugs (@93K) and changed coil from cyl 1 to cyl 3.

Just took it for a run in sports mode and YES...worked fine (twice) then NO...RP indication back again...this time OBDII has no DTC.

Now at a loss...any thoughts?

Old 07-03-2016, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Much better to post in the right forum.

Many codes only flag if a similar fault occurs twice in succession (as the docs show).

Wait and see, then if need be please post in the right forum.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:52 PM

Still having this problem - now have: P0301, P0503, P0705, P0907, P0b00 and P0d20...how fun is this. Again, replaced plugs and rotated #1 coil. RP occurs in sport mode only when you completely floor the gas.

Considering paying someone to look at it but worried about the feedback here re: charging but not fixing...

Old 09-29-2016, 11:17 AM

Hi All... new to the forum so hello ...

Same issue with restricted performance and initially identified as being a mass air flow meter issue. Garage were excellent and switched them over which resolved the problem for around 6 months.

Have the same issue again so decided to clean them myself using some WD specific electrical cleaner. Not a lot of joy so purchased another for £74 and switched them around hoping one was still ok.. I could only source the one on the day.

Car ran OK under low speed with no hard acceleration but as soon as you dip the throttle it went restricted again.

I've not changed out both MAF sensors and still getting the same issue. I've also changed the main incoming air filter as this was in bad shape. I could only replace with a stock item at the time and have a K&N arriving tomorrow which apparently makes a considerable difference. As these parts are intrinsically linked I am thinking that one is effecting the other.

I note that the air filter box does not seal very well at the left side with the four clips and wonder if this is also adding to the issue. No amount of jiggery pokery seems to get the four tabs to clip in correctly even without the filter on so would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem and how they got round it.

I get a whine under when slowing down at slow speed and wonder if the seal on the inter-cooler might have gone. I read the following elsewhere....provided by Jaguar Assist technician apparently

The turbo boost air enters the intercooler at the front rhs of the engine (as you look at it), under the air filter box, via a moulded transition piece which accepts the round air hose from the turbos and turns it into a rectangular entry slot down the side of the intercooler. The joint is sealed by an orange "O" section rectangular-ish seal. He could see the orange seal blowing out of the joint under boost pressure as the bolts that hold the transition piece to the intercooler had slacked off. (apparently the big clue to this issue is being able to see the orange seal, you should not be able to).

Might remove the full air filter box and inspect this element.

Have an ODB2 tool arriving tomorrow and have been resetting the error by disconnecting the battery for a period of time.

Seems to be a reoccurring problem for many....were there any recalls by Jaguar for any specific components as mentioned?

Quick Reply: Restricted Performance Top 10?