XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Screen/Radio repeatedly rebooting

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 10:17 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Screen/Radio repeatedly rebooting

I've had a problem popping up the past couple days where the audio/screen will reboot for no apparent reason. Yesterday it got more interesting, went to the carwash the system proceeded to reboot halfway through the wash and then continued to do so repeatedly for fifteen minutes.

It seems relatively clear that water is getting somewhere and shorting out a connection, and the carwash making it worse seems to be a possible indication that somewhere under the hood is where the issue is. No other electrical oddities, otherwise I may start wondering about the battery.

Ideas?

Old 02-07-2023, 10:49 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

In my experience one thing that can cause this is if the MOST fibre loop is disrupted. Although MOST is fibre and is not affected by water, the units on the ends of the MOST cable are powered and if one of them is cutting out it would cause this behaviour. Depending on the options your car has fitted the MOST loop goes to all sorts of places but they are generally under the front LH seat, in the dashboard and in the boot/trunk. Of course if you have the basic factory audio and no bluetooth/dab/portable audio then this is probably unrelated.

If your front door seals or windshield leak then this can get water into the footwells where the audio units are under the seat. I can't see a scenario where a leaky seal would affect either the units in the boot/trunk or the dashboard, so I would be looking there. You can undo the 4 bolts that hold the seat in, tip the seat back, and hold it back by putting the rear seatbelt around the headrest. That leans the seat out of the way enough that you can lift the carpet underneath it without disconnecting the wiring harness and triggering airbag warning lights. It only takes about 10 minutes.

Alternatively if you have a code scanner that can pull back codes from all the modules (not just the ECU/PCM) this will almost certainly tell you where the fault lies.

When this happened to my car, it was on the RH of the car not the LH, so rather than the audio modules affected in my case it was the adaptive dynamics module that got wet!

The following users liked this post:
Bill400 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 02:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by toxo
In my experience one thing that can cause this is if the MOST fibre loop is disrupted. Although MOST is fibre and is not affected by water, the units on the ends of the MOST cable are powered and if one of them is cutting out it would cause this behaviour. Depending on the options your car has fitted the MOST loop goes to all sorts of places but they are generally under the front LH seat, in the dashboard and in the boot/trunk. Of course if you have the basic factory audio and no bluetooth/dab/portable audio then this is probably unrelated.

If your front door seals or windshield leak then this can get water into the footwells where the audio units are under the seat. I can't see a scenario where a leaky seal would affect either the units in the boot/trunk or the dashboard, so I would be looking there. You can undo the 4 bolts that hold the seat in, tip the seat back, and hold it back by putting the rear seatbelt around the headrest. That leans the seat out of the way enough that you can lift the carpet underneath it without disconnecting the wiring harness and triggering airbag warning lights. It only takes about 10 minutes.

Alternatively if you have a code scanner that can pull back codes from all the modules (not just the ECU/PCM) this will almost certainly tell you where the fault lies.

When this happened to my car, it was on the RH of the car not the LH, so rather than the audio modules affected in my case it was the adaptive dynamics module that got wet!
most of the issues I've seen are the drain wells in the sunroof getting clogged... And the Bluetooth module is usually the damaged part.... And yes it is the fibre portion that is affected. You can loop it to repair permanently or until you procure the other part.they still the loop on ebay or Amazon.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:55 PM

Ah yes I hadn't considered the sunroof as the 2 XFs I've worked on this issue on didn't have one! Good shout

The following users liked this post:
gumby7734 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by toxo
Ah yes I hadn't considered the sunroof as the 2 XFs I've worked on this issue on didn't have one! Good shout
You have to isolate to see which module is causing the issue with the fibre. I had this happen twice. One the Bluetooth, then next time both bluetooth, and the nav cd player were at fault.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:42 PM
Received 182 Likes on 84 Posts

When I had this problem it was due to the drainage from the aircon evaporator ending up in the flloor pan under the carpet. Bluetooth and audio module were dead and very visibly rusted. I bypassed the audio module and replaced the bluetooth module. I mounted the bluetooth module to the underside of the seat to keep it above the high-tide mark in case of future leaks.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:39 PM
Default More details

Couple points worth mentioning.

First, is an XFR, so a full load system.

Second, my Bluetooth hasn't functioned for a couple months. Where do I find the Bluetooth module in the car and replacement part?

Last, I just don't feel like I've any internal water, it is winter in western Canada and a bit does get in on shoes/boots. Sounds like some components are right on the floor...

Thanks for the quick direction!

Old 02-08-2023, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by wannajag
Couple points worth mentioning.

First, is an XFR, so a full load system.
Even XFRs had to have their audio options specced. So good to clarify 😁

Second, my Bluetooth hasn't functioned for a couple months. Where do I find the Bluetooth module in the car and replacement part?
Like I said, you need to look under the LH front seat... A replacement part will need coding with SDD.

Last, I just don't feel like I've any internal water, it is winter in western Canada and a bit does get in on shoes/boots. Sounds like some components are right on the floor...

Thanks for the quick direction!
Yes, they are right on the floor. There is thick carpet and foam between your feet and these units - it's entirely possible for the carpet and the area around your feet to be dry and the components to be submerged. It is not likely to be moisture from your feet that is causing the issue, if that is indeed the problem.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:52 AM

If you have snow when it melts it will leak into the area under left hand driver's areas. Under the foam padding mentioned. It becomes a swimming pool. I have replaced the Bluetooth twice. If it had stopped working that is a good indication that is one source of the problem. It does not need to be programmed. You can also use same Landover part last letter is not relevant it is the firmware version. If you want to upgrade to the latest available then you would need to program the module.

Last edited by gumby7734; 02-08-2023 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 02-09-2023, 10:03 AM

Toxo, what were the possible audio configurations of North American XFR's?

Old 02-09-2023, 10:20 AM

Honestly in Canada, I wouldn't have a clue. I know the US missed out on fun stuff like the TV we got in Europe but most stuff was fitted to the XFR as standard. Why do you ask?