XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Seats Retrofit Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 07:49 AM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Seats Retrofit Jaguar XF

Hello,

Yesterday me and together with 2 friends we tried to swap my 4 way seats (2008) with Sport 18 way seats (Jaguar XF 2.2d 2013 ), all good and well everything was fitted we double checked the cables, everything was in order. I also should mention that the original seats that came with the car are Non-Memory and there is no seat module located in any seat. The Sports 18 Way Seats are heated and cooled, but that did not interest me, I just wanted to have lumbar support and decided to leave the Cooling and Heating for another day, jk life.

We plugged the seats, we put the battery back on, the systems were live, after not even 10 seconds of running, I get the biggest Christmas Tree I ever saw in this life, from Engine Fault to Gearbox Fault to even Pedestrian System Fault, from A to Z any error you can come up with related to the sensors popped on the screen, the OBD picked up to 20 or so error codes. We closed the car, decided to double check the cables again, everything was in order, sadly we couldn't figure it out, but I noticed that when I removed the Passenger seat and just the Driver seat remained, the car just threw the normal SRS Airbag Light, and it was drivable no issues, not even a check engine, but once the Passenger seat was put back in, Christmas was back in town. We decided to also swap the modules between the seats (I live in Romania LHD and the seats are from a Jaguar XF 2013 that is originaly from UK RHD) because we thought it might be the module, both modules work as intended. We then decided to put back the old seats and voilla everything works like it used to, the only reason I got this Sport Seats was due to the fact that they are an absolute bargain.

The Jag I currently have is really an odd package, it has Windscreen Defrost option but no heated seats, I find it a really strange optioned model, it is base model but in a way base with extras.

I truly hope I do not have to resale the Sport Seats and maybe I can get a bit of expertise on what went wrong.

At least the kitty pours, last night I almost shat myself when I saw the entire universe in my dials

JAGUAR XF 2008 3.0i N/A

P.S: While working on the Seats we also were looking on Jaguar Forums and even in Russia, on how to adapt the seats to the car, we followed every lead and trace, sadly results were as mentioned. and I have yet not found someone that was able to pull it off, Sports Seats from 2013 on a 2008-2009. Any idea or slight word is enough, truly trying to figure this one out, and once I have it figured out I will make one big post out of it.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:56 AM

Also a thing I forgot to mention is that both Sport Seats powered up and were working besides the fact, that I had the Christmas Platz in my face, they were working but were in the One Inch Mode.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,346 Likes on 1,847 Posts

If they work in the so called "inch" mode that means there is no CAN bus connection. That's the default failure mode maybe to let you still move the seat some?
We found this out when a guy got a cheap seat and wanted to use it as his computer chair in the house with all the power adjustments working. He also ran into the "inch" problem when he powered it up using 12 VDC.

Unless you can scan the car with the factory SDD setup not sure what you need to do?

The following users liked this post:
turkay (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
If they work in the so called "inch" mode that means there is no CAN bus connection. That's the default failure mode maybe to let you still move the seat some?
We found this out when a guy got a cheap seat and wanted to use it as his computer chair in the house with all the power adjustments working. He also ran into the "inch" problem when he powered it up using 12 VDC.

Unless you can scan the car with the factory SDD setup not sure what you need to do?
Any way to scan this factory SDD setup without visiting the Dealership? Besides the fact that they are utter bullshit in Romania, they do not even have the proper tools and the personel is by far the worst when it comes to such things. All they do is just complain.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Yes I have a hacked working copy BUT SDD is complicated and terrible software at any rate! Plus it was never released to the public and is/was only for internal JLR use. So absolutely zero help from JLR as you should not be using it!

We have many large threads on this and if you want to you can put together a working SDD for not much money. But research it some to make sure you want to go this way. There is danger in using this as SDD is very powerful and it can leave you with a non-operating car!

The software is free (Also many versions which is another complication!) and I installed it all on a cheap used laptop because SDD is VERY picky on how it runs so many people have got it to work using different methods. I found that if I ONLY run SDD it worked best. I have almost nothing else installed and be aware this is a LARGE program and I ran out of room on a 320GB SSD and replaced it with a 1TB SSD after several years of updates and file downloading. It's clunky and slow so consider an SSD as it will help...some.

Also many opinions on which OS to use. I use WIN7 Pro 64 bit but others have used virtual machines, XP, WIN10 and WIN11 in both 32 and 64 bit versions. Also note there are drivers for the interface cable and lucky they come in both versions. Next decides if you will keep it off the internet or do you want to connect and download whatever SDD needs? Again different ways of using SDD.

The moderators are trying to keep the SDD/IDS/Pathfinder stuff all in the current threads as it gets very messy otherwise with all the duplicate threads.
Here is a quick search result and it returned 220 threads!
SDD Topics

Old 06-01-2023, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes I have a hacked working copy BUT SDD is complicated and terrible software at any rate! Plus it was never released to the public and is/was only for internal JLR use. So absolutely zero help from JLR as you should not be using it!

We have many large threads on this and if you want to you can put together a working SDD for not much money. But research it some to make sure you want to go this way. There is danger in using this as SDD is very powerful and it can leave you with a non-operating car!

The software is free (Also many versions which is another complication!) and I installed it all on a cheap used laptop because SDD is VERY picky on how it runs so many people have got it to work using different methods. I found that if I ONLY run SDD it worked best. I have almost nothing else installed and be aware this is a LARGE program and I ran out of room on a 320GB SSD and replaced it with a 1TB SSD after several years of updates and file downloading. It's clunky and slow so consider an SSD as it will help...some.

Also many opinions on which OS to use. I use WIN7 Pro 64 bit but others have used virtual machines, XP, WIN10 and WIN11 in both 32 and 64 bit versions. Also note there are drivers for the interface cable and lucky they come in both versions. Next decides if you will keep it off the internet or do you want to connect and download whatever SDD needs? Again different ways of using SDD.

The moderators are trying to keep the SDD/IDS/Pathfinder stuff all in the current threads as it gets very messy otherwise with all the duplicate threads.
Here is a quick search result and it returned 220 threads!
SDD Topics
God damn seats, I fell in love with them they are proper car seats honestly, is there any way to bypass the seat module? Like form a straight connection, and maybe add my old chair electronics. The seats I have are 4-6 way adjustable no lumbar support, that's why I am asking maybe I can find a work around, thought about removing the covers and foams and do a swap between them, but I find it to be a little bit out of my taste, since I won't even have at least lumbar and the purpose of the seat will be gone.

I am stuck between a 50/50 either sell them which will make me sad, and use the money and try to find some Portofolio Seats with the lumbar and whatever it has cooling and heating.

I have a question regarding this type of seats, do I still need to edit CCF files if I install them? Shouldn't they be plug and play since they are 2008-yearish seat models? For the cooling and heating I think I might need the Seat Climate Module and the cables. They are not sporty, but to be fair they are much comfy this types of seats, my height is about 1.92, I quite struggle a bit sitting in the sport seats (brings my legs together to much and causes discomfort), I am currently writing this as I am sitting in them =))

P.S: Got this idiotic mentality from my S Type R (those R seats are beyond comfortable)

Old 06-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

I hear you and I agree those are very nice seats! But understand that there is no way to bypass anything? These are very complicated highly integrated cars. Built that way on purpose.
So the old ways of slash and burn just won't work.

If your serious I think a good understanding of the CAN bus and the entire Jaguar network will be needed to get this to work?
We have had some incredibly complicated stuff done by forum members that I can't even follow! Things like adding 360 degree cameras and adaptive cruise control and later and larger model center dash screens.

But you are thinking correctly in that you will need modules and wiring harness's as well as deep programming of the car to get this to work.
Is it possible? Well I do think so but is it worth it based on what these cars are selling for? So yes editing the CCF will most likely be mandatory but again is what you want to do even in the CCF? I am not sure?

It's like when a guy wants a super charged car but buys a NA version. He is SURE that the SC drive train will "bolt in" because well the factory did it. It will but the electronics will be difficult and you may not even find all the network and electrical stuff you need because no one has done this yet?
So the answer which no one likes is it will be cheaper and WAY easier to sell your current car and buy the Jaguar you want.

Unfortunately for us current Jaguar owners you may find the car you want for not a lot of money!
Sadly they depreciate at a huge rate and are not very easy to sell. Many cars sit for months on dealer lots.

Old 06-04-2023, 11:21 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

They are not drop in but they will work eventually if you are persistent enough.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...trofit-165067/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-183244/

Search google with the your exact thread title for more results on the UK Jag forum.

There are guys around here that could do the module configuration part if you have an SDD setup they can remote into. You will need SDD for other things anyway if you keep this car.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:20 AM
Received 93 Likes on 84 Posts

I understand that you need to swop over the seatbelt pretensioners, as these are programmed to the car. The ones on your new seats would set off the Can warnings you are seeing.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

See your getting expert help and it will take some work but it is possible!

Old 06-05-2023, 07:23 AM

Got it!

Thanks for the links you have sent me, I will start digging deeper and who knows maybe I will be able to pull it off in a final and if I do manage to pull it off. I will make a big post with instructions and everything needed so other people can manage to do this Retrofit.