XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Service- Rattling and popping

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service- Rattling and popping

Like many of you, I have had the issue of the rattling noise in my XF. There is also a popping noise coming from the front passenger side visor area. I took my vehicle in for a service-2 days later they had replace 3 broken rear clips and 3 front clips

3 C2Z11575- CLIPS RETAINING

Got my car back today- Still popping noise from visor area and rattle/creaking a littl less than before from the roof area.
The seal has been lubed prior to this service.

Question-Does the seal around the sunroof need to be replaced? I am running out of patience with this vehicle and have brought it in for this issue twice already.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a rattle in my XFR from the start - apparently coming from somewhere within the central dash. Dealer located it and said there were some bolts missing in there somewhere, which they had replaced. I was doubtful but the rattle was gone anyway. A few weeks later, the rattle returns! Eventually I located it - to the cheap plastic housing around the rear view mirror mount. It had popped apart and simply needed clipping back together. It still has some play in it, just a poor quality part. The sound never seemed like it was coming from there, probably because the sound was getting projected down to the dash by the angle of the windscreen. Maybe worth a check?

Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just noticed a creaking noise in my XF since it has gotten colder out... sounds like it's coming from the dash area. Maybe the material has dried out and contracted such as our doors in our 1820's house... In the summer you can't close the doors because of the humidity/moisture in them but after November they close with ease... Could this simply be a case of contraction in the material? Possibly the result of all the sound deadening insulation… Nothing appears loos or missing clips/retainers

Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle sound getting worse

I used silicone lube and applied it to the rubber seal portion of the sunroof. I still hear a glass rattling noise when driving, this is so annoying. I don't know if it's worth letting the dealer look at it again. It's def not the clips. I wonder if the roof is loose some how?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some creaking which was coming from the driver door right where the speaker (to the left of the steering wheel) meets the rubber seal when the driver door closes. GOD it was so annoying! I brought it in and they lubed me up. It re-occurs when the weather changes, but at least now I know how to fix it.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by darlo
I had a rattle in my XFR from the start - apparently coming from somewhere within the central dash. Dealer located it and said there were some bolts missing in there somewhere, which they had replaced. I was doubtful but the rattle was gone anyway. A few weeks later, the rattle returns! Eventually I located it - to the cheap plastic housing around the rear view mirror mount. It had popped apart and simply needed clipping back together. It still has some play in it, just a poor quality part. The sound never seemed like it was coming from there, probably because the sound was getting projected down to the dash by the angle of the windscreen. Maybe worth a check?
To your point about the cheap plastic housing, if you were to look on the inside of that housing, you would see that it says FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company). And, yes, it's complete crap quality.

Attached Thumbnails Service- Rattling and popping-fomoco.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

1. turn the radio up
2. get a louder exhaust
3. get old.. what WHAT did you say?

That is as helpful as I can be for my 100th post.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Gn4hir
1. turn the radio up
2. get a louder exhaust
3. get old.. what WHAT did you say?

That is as helpful as I can be for my 100th post.
You're actually 100% accurate. It's not until I mute my loud exhaust and aftermarket stereo that I hear any of the rattles, like when I have a client phone call. But, those calls always seem to put me in a horrible mood. Ha-ha.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:25 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaxions
You're actually 100% accurate. It's not until I mute my loud exhaust and aftermarket stereo that I hear any of the rattles, like when I have a client phone call. But, those calls always seem to put me in a horrible mood. Ha-ha.
Haha! So true. Same here

Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by darlo

That's darn ironic! I need to take mine apart and it wont give. Go figure.