XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Shifting to Park --> Engine Shut Off

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shifting to Park --> Engine Shut Off

Occasionally when I rotate the gear selector from D to P, the engine will shut off as though I've pressed the Start/Stop button. It seems to only do this when I spin the selector quickly. When I consciously rotate it to the left slowly, the engine stays on and I then turn it off with the button.

It's not that BIG a deal, but there are times when I don't want the car to turn off (listening to the radio as an example).

Anyone else experienced this?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:06 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

I've not heard of this or experienced it myself..But I got to believe you should never whip the knob fast. Think of the car like a woman..take things when you touch her, slow and easy and you'll get a proper response.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:40 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

Mine does that also. It sometimes seems that it could be linked to the driver seatbelt. Unbuckle the beat while putting in park almost always results in the car performing a full shutdown

I have even had one time last fall that it shutdown at a stop sign in drive and when I let off the brake, it attempted to start for a very quick second then gave up and lit the dash up like a Christmas tree.

I had to use the start button, power it completely down and perform a restart process.

Seemed like it took forever (probably was only 30 seconds), and with traffic building behind me, it was embarrassing.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:25 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I remember my Jag tech buddy told me something about this..and a TSB Software update fixed it...I don't know if this is related, but it sounded just like you described.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

I very rarely manually put the car in Park anyway, I simply turn it off and let the car do the work of putting it in Park. If I'm sitting at a traffic light or whatever for quite a while I put it in N not P and apply the EPB.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does this once in a while. I thought it was some sort of "easter egg," and I'd been trying to recreate it. It seems like a convenience when it happens at home - one less thing to do.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MonacoDK
Occasionally when I rotate the gear selector from D to P, the engine will shut off as though I've pressed the Start/Stop button. It seems to only do this when I spin the selector quickly. When I consciously rotate it to the left slowly, the engine stays on and I then turn it off with the button.

It's not that BIG a deal, but there are times when I don't want the car to turn off (listening to the radio as an example).

Anyone else experienced this?
Happens on rare occasion in my Rover. It's all a part of the stupid start stop system that is one of the worst "features" to be put on new cars in decades. I tend to zip the shift knob into park as well. It doesn't hurt anything.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I very rarely manually put the car in Park anyway, I simply turn it off and let the car do the work of putting it in Park. If I'm sitting at a traffic light or whatever for quite a while I put it in N not P and apply the EPB.
That is unusual. I'm not judging, just curious as to your reasoning behind it.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:58 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Overblown

That is unusual. I'm not judging, just curious as to your reasoning behind it.
LAZY!..

Old 01-25-2016, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
LAZY!..
Nup, I'm not being lazy, quite the opposite IMHO.
99.9% of auto trans drivers that I see sit at the traffic lights for minutes on end with the trans in D and their foot on the brake pedal.
On the other hand, if I judge that I will be stopped for more than say 30 seconds, I shift into N and apply the EPB. That way I can relax both legs/feet, no need to ensure I have a foot on the brake pedal. If I'm at or near the front of the queue then I ensure I have changed back into D before the lights go green, if I'm further back in the queue I simply watch for movement ahead of me before putting it back in D. I'm still concentrating but I believe I am more relaxed than those other 99.9% sitting there with their foot on the brake.
It also stems from 40 years of owning nothing but manual trans cars.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:51 PM

99.9% of auto trans drivers that I see sit at the traffic lights for minutes on end with the trans in D and their foot on the brake pedal.
On the other hand, if I judge that I will be stopped for more than say 30 seconds, I shift into N and apply the EPB. That way I can relax both legs/feet, no need to ensure I have a foot on the brake pedal. If I'm at or near the front of the queue then I ensure I have changed back into D before the lights go green, if I'm further back in the queue I simply watch for movement ahead of me before putting it back in D. I'm still concentrating but I believe I am more relaxed than those other 99.9% sitting there with their foot on the brake.
Interesting. How do manual transmission cars relate to this?

Old 01-25-2016, 07:26 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Yeah, yeah..I get that part, I do the same thing myself...I was jokingly referring to you saying that you just hit the kill button and let the car put itself in park...I also heard there is a software update to fix that lazy-*** feature..

Old 01-25-2016, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting. How do manual transmission cars relate to this?
Coz when you drive a manual ("stick") when you come to a stop for any length of time you put it in neutral rather then ride the clutch.

Last edited by OzXFR; 01-25-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:14 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I fully understand and support this reasoning. I have no problem putting my car in park while waiting at a light or in a drive-thru.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 PM

Coz when you drive a manual ("stick") when you come to a stop for any length of time you put it in neutral rather then ride the clutch.
Perhaps its being half a world apart but that's not what riding the clutch is over here. I get the putting it in neutral part but not the using the parking brake in traffic thing. That's really strange to me! I just use the footbrake. But to each their own!

Old 01-26-2016, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member

Perhaps its being half a world apart but that's not what riding the clutch is over here. I get the putting it in neutral part but not the using the parking brake in traffic thing. That's really strange to me! I just use the footbrake. But to each their own!
Yep, the term "riding the clutch" was possibly incorrect, I simply meant "disengage the clutch by depressing the clutch pedal".
And a major reason I put the car in N and then engage the EPB is so I don't have to use my right (or left) foot on the brake pedal to stop the car from rolling. I can then relax and stretch, bend, whatever both legs.
Fair 'nuf if I'm stopped on a level bit of road, I could get away with not engaging the EPB, but as we know in hilly terrain it's easy to misjudge if the road is really level or not.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:28 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Well Keeping the clutch in does put strain on the throw-out bearing after a while too...At least in the older cars.....

Old 01-26-2016, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
Well Keeping the clutch in does put strain on the throw-out bearing after a while too...At least in the older cars.....
Another misunderstanding, seems I'm making heavy weather of this!
When driving a manual and stopping for any length of time over say 10 seconds, I always shift to neutral and release the clutch. Most times I also apply the handbrake. On the dozen or so manual cars I owned before my first Jag I never once had a single problem with the gearbox or the clutch. Once I bought my first Jag, which was the first auto trans car I had ever owned, I continued this practice - put car in N, apply EPB, relax.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:32 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I'm sorry Ozzy..I wasn't saying that, I was just making a comment on about holding a clutch in to much..not implying you did...Sorry for the confusion.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:50 AM

We all have our little driving habits! I learned on and grew up driving and racing nothing but manual transmission cars and trucks for years. After getting my very first automatic car, people would make fun of me because I drove it with two feet lol. It just didn't feel right not using them both!!!! I'm long over it now but sure took some getting used to (both the automatic and the ribbing lol)

Old 01-28-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

It would be helpful to know the year and model of your car, and whether it has the 'Eco' function.

On my '14 XFR-S, the 'Eco' function does exactly the same thing that you are describing, in addition to the usual 'Eco' operation at lights, in stop and go traffic etc. The difference between usual operation at a stop light, for example, is that it truly shuts off the car, including accessories like ventilation and the radio. It is intermittent because this function is only activated under certain conditions as determined by the ECU (for example, outside temperature, accessories running, level of charge). It is activated by firm brake pedal pressure, which is exactly what you apply when shifting the car into park.

The above may not apply to your situation, as it has nothing to do with how fast you turn the shift knob.

Last edited by sybarite; 01-28-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Shifting to Park --> Engine Shut Off