XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Should I buy this 2010 XFR?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013 | 11:57 AM
|
Default Should I buy this 2010 XFR?

Hello everyone!

I am NOT yet a Jaguar owner, but I am seriously considering becoming one soon. I am seeking advice, recommendations, warnings or anything else from anyone who has anything worth sharing.

The car I am considering is a 2010 XFR. It has about 14,000 miles on it and was originally purchased in New York. It is black and has white leather.

I am presently driving a 2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-spec, a very good car but not on the performance level of an XFR.

So do I buy it or not? Was 2010 a good year for the XFR? If anyone has had experiences that would warn me off the car, please share. I want to be as knowledgeable as possible before I make the leap. (The car is not even in my state. I'm having a friend go look at it, but I probably won't see it until after I've committed to buy it. It's a little scary.)

But all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Old 11-15-2013 | 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Does it have any factory warranty left? I have benefited greatly from the factory warranty in the just under three months I've had the car. They have replaced the rear suspension mount (noise), the sunroof clips (noise), the cowl around the steering column (noise), the circuit board for the interior lights (came on randomly), the dashboard (the glue did not hold the leather down), the windshield (started to de-laminate with little bubbles around the edges) and the differential (noise and warning message). I'm guessing all of that would have been in the $8-$10K range, maybe more. Most of these are known issues and only a few happened in my owning the car. The previous owner didn't do anything to get these issues resolved even though it was under warranty. I got my car for a very good price so I'm ok with taking care of these things afterward. I still have until the end of Feb. to have any other issues taken care of by the factory warranty before the extended warranty kicks in. If I didn't, I might not be so happy with my Jag purchase. But because of how good the car is, I can deal with a few more trips to the dealer when they are free. Now if I was paying...

The following users liked this post:
kdjlaw (11-18-2013)
Old 11-15-2013 | 02:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kdjlaw
Hello everyone!

I am NOT yet a Jaguar owner, but I am seriously considering becoming one soon. I am seeking advice, recommendations, warnings or anything else from anyone who has anything worth sharing.

The car I am considering is a 2010 XFR. It has about 14,000 miles on it and was originally purchased in New York. It is black and has white leather.

I am presently driving a 2012 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-spec, a very good car but not on the performance level of an XFR.

So do I buy it or not? Was 2010 a good year for the XFR? If anyone has had experiences that would warn me off the car, please share. I want to be as knowledgeable as possible before I make the leap. (The car is not even in my state. I'm having a friend go look at it, but I probably won't see it until after I've committed to buy it. It's a little scary.)

But all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Check the original registration date. Jaguar has a 50,000 mile or 4 year factory warranty..
Good luck..

kdjlaw (11-18-2013)
Old 11-15-2013 | 05:02 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I would hold out for a 2012 at least..there is enough posts here on the problems the 09's and 10's had/have..A warranty doesn't mean crap if you have the car in the shop all the time...in my book, that is a big issue and I'd rather be driving it and not on the way to the dealer's service

IMO..I would not own a car that I didn't have from new from the North...Consider the salt and harsh winter environment they go through in a given winter.

....just saying..don't get in a hurry to buy the first one you find..look around a little for a newer model....Look over in Dallas Texas at Plano Jaguar..they have a bunch of great cars.

Last edited by DPK; 11-15-2013 at 05:05 PM.
kdjlaw (11-18-2013)
Old 11-15-2013 | 07:06 PM

I have a 2010 XFR, and it has 83,000 miles on it. I drive it year round and flawlessly maintain it. As long as the car was properly maintained and has a meticulous owner, then 2010 models, like any other car really, is absolutely fine.

kdjlaw (11-18-2013)
Old 11-15-2013 | 09:25 PM

I have a 2010 XFR, and I love it. I've had the car for about 18 months, and have no major complaints. I did have the overhead console illumination issue, but that was about easy fix. The sunroof is about bit noisy, but certainty not a deal breaker.

Like XfactoR said, if you maintain the car, it will be a fantastic machine. I've done several oil changes and a brake job on mine, and while they cost a bit more, it doesn't deter me from owning the car.

I remember reading about someone who owned a Jag who said that he had owned a lot of cars, but truly loved the Jag. Every time he'd get out of the car, he'd look back fondly at it. It's absolutely true.

kdjlaw (11-18-2013)
Old 11-17-2013 | 02:39 PM

I would agree with what has been said already, warranty is peace of mind. Being a 2010 with such low miles it should be under warranty and sounds like it was someones 2nd or 3rd car.

Even better would be to find a 2011 certified vehicle. 2011 was the year they covered maintenance and wear items.

Black with white is a striking combination. My last Jag was black and I was too busy to give the color the attention it needed to look clean. This time around I went white.

kdjlaw (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013 | 11:31 AM
|

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies.
I'd like to buy a 2012, but I don't want to pay for a 2012. One of the reasons why I may buy the car I'm looking at is that it has already taken a 35% depreciation hit.

I can get some 2011's for about the same money, but I can't find one with adaptive cruise control, a feature my present car has and to which I have become addicted. It was standard on the 2010's. I would love to get a 2011 for the better warranty, but I haven't found one with adaptive cruise.

My guy in TX told me this morning that the extended bumper to bumper 36 mo./60K miles is $2500, which sounds relatively cheap based on some other threads I've read.

Meanwhile, there's a dealership in Houston that's selling a clean-Carfax (no accidents) 2010 for $35K! He's sending me pictures, but it looks too good to be true. Granted, the car has 50K miles so the extended warranty would be more expensive. Still, it could be a helluva deal!

Old 11-18-2013 | 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

didn't they also go up to 5.0L from 4.2 for the 2011 model year?

Old 11-20-2013 | 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

In 2009 they were all 4.2L (even the SC model). In 2010 the base model remained as a 4.2L but the higher spec models, incl the SC and the XFR shifted to the new 5.0L engine. From 2011 all were 5.0 even the base.

Old 11-20-2013 | 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

On the original question, it of course depends on condition, and price. 14k miles is very low for a car of this age - so if well looked after it could be a great buy. I would certainly get the warranty - I bought a 2010 SC last year and got the extended 100k 6-yr warranty for peace of mind. Mine is also black with the ivory interior and it's a wonderful combination - but you have to take care to keep the interior clean!

Even if your friend goes to look, I would never buy without having an independent mechanic do a full inspection for you. Even if it just needs some typical wear items (e.g. new brakes, rotors and tyres) that will set you back a lot and should factor into the purchase price.

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2013 | 08:04 PM

I have a 2010 XFR and love it. Bought it used and have never regretted it. It was from a dealer and has the Jaguar select extended warranty but to be honest have not needed it - the car has been great - no issues.

Old 11-21-2013 | 10:15 AM

Yes you should.

Old 11-21-2013 | 11:31 AM

This XFR in Houston you speak about... I managed to inquire about it minutes after its posting over a week ago. Long story short, I'm picking it up tomorrow. Sorry. BUT, if or some reason the deal falls through I can let you know! But I will be very sad... I drove it last week and apart for needing to be cleaned up (had not been detailed yet) it was solid as a rock.

The car is beautiful. Afew nicks hear and there. 50K miles is alot but the $2500 certification got it detailed very nicely and gets me 100K mile warranty. "I was told bumper to bumper" but I heard from the Plano Dealer that it does not include interior trim, rattles, and the dreaded leather dash. If anyone thinks this would be a bad purchase let me know for BOTH our sakes!

Old 11-21-2013 | 11:33 AM

@BritCars

Would you reccomend an independant eval even if the car will be "certified pre-owned"?

Old 11-21-2013 | 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jrzimm612
@BritCars

Would you reccomend an independant eval even if the car will be "certified pre-owned"?

If you haven't seen the car in person and are buying 'sight unseen', then yes, I would suggest an independent eval to have a clear view of condition. It's a small price vs. the cost of the car. I bought my Jag CPO and it is terrific. I also bought a CPO Land Rover (from the same dealer) and after just 5000 miles we needed all new tyres. I believe a car can also be sold as CPO if it's had some (minimal) body work / paint respray. And there are other elements of condition like how clean the leather is, whether paint is chipped etc.

Maybe my conservatism, but better to pay the couple of hundred dollars for someone to give a very thorough assessment and ensure you know what you are buying.

Others may have a different perspective - just seems like a small price to pay for some peace of mind...

Old 11-22-2013 | 09:54 AM
|

Originally Posted by jrzimm612
This XFR in Houston you speak about... I managed to inquire about it minutes after its posting over a week ago. Long story short, I'm picking it up tomorrow. Sorry. BUT, if or some reason the deal falls through I can let you know! But I will be very sad... I drove it last week and apart for needing to be cleaned up (had not been detailed yet) it was solid as a rock.

The car is beautiful. Afew nicks hear and there. 50K miles is alot but the $2500 certification got it detailed very nicely and gets me 100K mile warranty. "I was told bumper to bumper" but I heard from the Plano Dealer that it does not include interior trim, rattles, and the dreaded leather dash. If anyone thinks this would be a bad purchase let me know for BOTH our sakes!
Yeah, please let me know if the sale falls through. The salesman couldn't explain why they were selling at that price. He was in the process of taking pix for me when you bought it!! If you do buy it, I hope you enjoy it!

Old 11-23-2013 | 09:45 AM

If the dash is not bad now, then it probably won't be. That said, make sure you keep it in the garage and use a sunshade and/or car cover in that blazing TX heat. Do not use Armor All on the dash. Go to your local tack shop and get some real saddle cleaner and conditioner. That stuff is better than the crap they sell in auto parts stores, cheaper than the stuff they sell at the dealership and works better than any of the aforementioned.

Old 11-24-2013 | 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by VapourTrail
If the dash is not bad now, then it probably won't be. That said, make sure you keep it in the garage and use a sunshade and/or car cover in that blazing TX heat. Do not use Armor All on the dash. Go to your local tack shop and get some real saddle cleaner and conditioner. That stuff is better than the crap they sell in auto parts stores, cheaper than the stuff they sell at the dealership and works better than any of the aforementioned.
Good advice, I've never had leather before so I really have no idea what to use. The "drive clean" NYC AMMO detailer says that for your dash the finish should not be shiny/glossy. How does the saddle cleaner leave it?

BTW. I picked up the car. Drive it home three hours in a torrential down poor. Now it's been 37 degrees and raining... Not ideal car care weather. But I still got out there and washed it! Has to come in a few times and run my hands under hot water lol. Anyway the car is great, only some small road rash on the front hood that dr color chip should take care of, some oxidation on the bonnet louver, and a strange "rattle" coming from the back passenger side around the c pillar. Strange noise like a loose cable swinging or something. Otherwise I couldn't be happier!