XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Side Object Detection / Blind Spot Monitoring Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 08:09 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Brake buster
so , a little more tinkering in the CCF this afternoon , i have come up with a DTC of U0232 , which is comms fault between the RH SODR and SODL unit , showing as a fault with the SODL as the car cant see it, but the fault is actually on the SODR

Both CCF lines are enabled ,

it seems reading the online code faults that there is either a short or a fault with the SODR unit , but this has been changed out with another, so its leaning towards a bad connection or a break or short on the CAN system

the plot thickens

suppose i have to take the rear bumper off yet again , thats about five times now, getting quite good at it, lol

BB
Did you get anywhere with this? I've got someone who's contacted me directly with the same issue but it didn't happen on my car so I'm not sure how to figure it out. I was thinking that because the SODR module is responding properly and has been flashed/updated with the vehicle VIN etc, to swap the modules over so the working one is then SODL and reflash SODR, learn the VIN etc?

Also, where did you get the mirrors from?

Last edited by toxo; 02-17-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:55 AM
Received 501 Likes on 317 Posts

not yet, to be honest, not had the time,

still have an orange fault light in the RH mirror glass indicating the fault

also still have the comms issue to the left module

this could be a comms issue, or could be a power or grounding issue of the module, as it its' dead ' it will have a comms issue.....

so still investigating, and have tried several modules , genuine pairs from donor cars, and refreshing, still no joy till i have another go

if you find the issue i would love to know, i feel its a simple issue to be honest

BB

Old 02-20-2021, 12:34 PM

Got it. You need to edit your as built XML file and add the SODL/SODR info in there. SDD can address the right hand module as that uses a real part number but the left hand module has a dodgy one so that it gets the left hand data written to it. SDD won't be able to resolve that part number properly unless it's in your as built file.

I can write that bit up tomorrow if you've got no idea what I'm talking about. But it does mean you don't need to take your rear bumper off again!

The following users liked this post:
Brake buster (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 01:54 PM

fantastic !!!!

that would be a great help if you could,
i am confident in CCF stuff, but some of the other XML alterations i have not yet atempted

so a step by step would be invaluable for me and others

really appreciate the help

BB

Old 02-21-2021, 04:08 AM

thinking about it , this might be what's holding off my AHB modification , all the hardware is there, and can be seen but the system doesn't seem to work though i can select on the screen

BB

Old 02-22-2021, 08:51 AM

Hopefully the forum won't time me out while I write all this... obviously you do this at your own risk and it's not my fault if you brick your car.

When you first try to do anything involving the modules on the car, SDD connects to the internet and downloads a zip file full of as-built XML data into the folder C:\ProgramData\JLR\IDS\Sessions\SOFTWARE_MANAGEMEN T\SM_AS_BUILT. Broadly speaking it gets the file for the model of car and the production week that car was in, so for example a zip file for all X250 chassis built in week 50 of 2010. In this zip file is an XML file for every VIN number detailing what modules were in that car when it was built, what the part numbers are and what the CANBUS message IDs are. When you go to work with the modules SDD references this XML file to make sure it downloads the right firmware and configuration. So, you need to edit this file and add the module info in for SODL and SODR.* These are the steps that I took to fix this.

Fire up SDD, open a Diagnostics session with the car. Go into the symptom selection screen and navigate through Electronics -> Driver Aids to one of the side object detection symptoms, e.g. LED illuminated, and press continue. SDD will then list your DTCs and will highlight the DTC stored on SODR about communications failure. Click the icon that looks like a signpost next to it, and it will take you to a table of possible solutions, the only one of which is to read about left module failure/replacement. Click Run or View or whatever on that line item, but then cancel out of it and go back to the list of solutions. You should see an 'Extras' tab has appeared at the top. Click this and you will see 2 options, "Configure existing side object detection module - Left" and "Configure existing side object detection module - Right". Click to run against the item for Right. This will overwrite any stored VIN in the SODR module with your VIN. According to the docs doing this with the usual "Configure new side object detection module" task under Recommendations will not work if there is an existing VIN in the module, i.e. if it came from another car.

Note that if you run the task for the Left module at this point, it will fail saying that it was unable to resolve the module.

Once that is complete open up File Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\JLR\Common\XML\IVSAsbuilt. Edit the file that is called YOUR_VIN_NUMBER_MODULE_RECORDSET.XML. It's got no line breaks in it, so it is not easy to read, but you want to position your cursor between the tags somewhere on the 2nd line of the file where you can see

"</module><module"

So place your cursor between > and < and paste in the following for a pre-facelift X250 using the 9X sensors.

<module gmrdb_acronym="SODL"><node_id>0x7C4</node_id><part_set><part did="0xF112" gmrdb_name="ECU_ASSEMBLY_PN"><part_number type="WERS">9X23-14D455-CB</part_number></part></part_set></module><module gmrdb_acronym="SODR"><node_id>0x7C6</node_id><part_set><part did="0xF112" gmrdb_name="ECU_ASSEMBLY_PN"><part_number type="WERS">9X23-14C689-CB</part_number></part></part_set></module>
Facelift X250 using 9X sensors:

<module gmrdb_acronym="SODL"><node_id>0x7C4</node_id><part_set><part did="0xF112" gmrdb_name="ECU_ASSEMBLY_PN"><part_number type="WERS">9X23-14D455-CD</part_number></part></part_set></module><module gmrdb_acronym="SODR"><node_id>0x7C6</node_id><part_set><part did="0xF112" gmrdb_name="ECU_ASSEMBLY_PN"><part_number type="WERS">9X23-14C689-CD</part_number></part></part_set></module>
If you are on an older car with the 8X sensors:

<module gmrdb_acronym="SODL"><node_id>0x7C4</node_id><part_set><part did="0xF112" gmrdb_name="ECU_ASSEMBLY_PN"><part_number type="WERS">9X23-14D455-AC</part_number></part></part_set></module><module gmrdb_acronym="SODR"><node_id>0x7C6</node_id><part_set><part did="0xF112" gmrdb_name="ECU_ASSEMBLY_PN"><part_number type="WERS">9X23-14C689-AD</part_number></part></part_set></module>
Paste this same text on the last or second-to-last line of the file, again inbetween 2 module tags. This is because there are 2 sets of config in the file - as built and as ordered - with the data all compressed into a few lines it's not obvious to see, but doing this will make sure you have put the module data in both sets of config. You can double-click before and after your edits to open the XML file up in Internet Explorer to view it and make sure it looks right and the structure is good. The order of the modules in the file is not important. Save and close the XML file. Right-click the file, click Properties and go to the Security tab. Edit permissions and put a tick in Deny against Everyone -> Write. If you don't do this, SDD will get the as-built XML file out of the ZIP file when it starts the process of talking to your modules, and it will overwrite your changes.

Repeat the SDD steps above, but run "Configure existing module - Side object detection - Left".

That should be everything done!

* A bit more info. My understanding is that SDD can address the SODR module with its correct part number out of the box, because it talks to that unit and has a match in the parts database for the part number. However the SODL module reports a different part number, which does not exist. This is because the part number is the firmware filename, and the SODL module needs to be updated with different firmware settings to the SODR module. Although they inherit whether they are SODL or SODR on the CANBUS network via the resistor in the mirror, that would not determine which firmware they get as that is based solely on part number. In effect SODL lies about its part number to get the right firmware.

Last edited by toxo; 02-23-2021 at 07:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by toxo:
Bill400 (10-26-2021), chris.schneider (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 03:13 AM

many thanks

will give it a go in the next few days while off work

BB

Old 02-23-2021, 04:48 AM

I'll see if I can find the right XML to add to your as-built file if you send me the VIN of the car you're working on, that should make the process easier for you. Unless it's a 2010 X250!

Old 02-23-2021, 06:03 AM

have messaged it , cheers

BB

Old 02-23-2021, 07:27 AM

Post is updated with the 3 different options I can find for different age X250s, that should do you.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default X260

Would these settings work with the x260
I hate asking as I spend a lot of time looking and reading instead of being drip fed but cannot find anywhere on the net that has done it to the x260 this thread is by miles the closest I have found and don’t wanna brick the modules any pointer would be great

Old 10-25-2021, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Supermans1
Would these settings work with the x260
I hate asking as I spend a lot of time looking and reading instead of being drip fed but cannot find anywhere on the net that has done it to the x260 this thread is by miles the closest I have found and don’t wanna brick the modules any pointer would be great
I know very little of the X260, but I do know that JLR moved away from having many customisations of the loom towards more standardisation. So it's more likely the wiring will all be there, even in the mirrors. You also probably won't need to modify your as-built file - the X260 XML files I have here all have the SODL and SODR definitions in them. I guess you won't know for sure unless you try it though!

Pretty sure you aren't going to brick anything over and above the risk you run of bricking anything with SDD

Old 10-25-2021, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by toxo
I know very little of the X260, but I do know that JLR moved away from having many customisations of the loom towards more standardisation. So it's more likely the wiring will all be there, even in the mirrors. You also probably won't need to modify your as-built file - the X260 XML files I have here all have the SODL and SODR definitions in them. I guess you won't know for sure unless you try it though!

Pretty sure you aren't going to brick anything over and above the risk you run of bricking anything with SDD
there isn’t any wiring under my bumper not worried as can sort that

but I have read my as built file that I got and no mention of the sodl or sodr in there anywhere mate
under as built or as ordered for my vin at least

Old 10-25-2021, 03:24 PM

Just at a loss as to what part number I should add for the x260 to the as built file

Old 10-26-2021, 01:47 AM

I can get that for you tomorrow - if you have SDD just unzip the zip file for all the X260 XML files built at the same time as yours and search for SODL in the files and copy/paste the section into yours.

Old 10-26-2021, 02:44 AM

I can get that for you tomorrow - if you have SDD just unzip the zip file for all the X260 XML files built at the same time as yours and search for SODL in the files and copy/paste the section into yours.
that would be so nice of you thank you so much

Old 10-26-2021, 04:34 AM

I am guessing they are the 8 pin/square plug sensors part FW93-14F152-BD but I will get that info out of SDD as you'll need the part number for both sides to stop them conflicting with each other.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:46 AM

Yes mate 8 pin ones mate thank you so much

Old 10-26-2021, 04:10 PM

cannot find any zip file with all the x260 files in it looked everywhere

Old 10-26-2021, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Supermans1
that would be so nice of you thank you so much
Where in sdd would this zip be

Quick Reply: Side Object Detection / Blind Spot Monitoring Retrofit