XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Small Coolant Hose that plugs into waterpump 2012 XF supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Small Coolant Hose that plugs into waterpump 2012 XF supercharged

Hey Guys

Does anyone know the part number for the small coolant hose that plugs into the water pump on the 2012 Jaguar XF supercharged. Also does anyone know what that hose feeds?

​​​​​​

Old 08-12-2020, 08:02 PM

Ok after doing some more research it seems that the original routing of this hose was updated and now you need 2 separate parts to replace that hose.

C2Z26930 & C2Z28258

If you Scroll down in this thread you will find the information to validate this. Even though these parts come up for the newer model AJV8 supercharged it should work on my 2012.

​​​​​​https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acment-190132/

Last edited by blownsilly; 08-12-2020 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-12-2020, 08:36 PM

Hopefully Final update,

the updated part numbers for the earlier model years 10-12 are

​​​​​​

C2Z28467 and AJ813565

C2Z26930 & C2Z28258

​​​​​​
So after inquiring with the dealer, it seems the green text is correct for our years as well. Just in case anyone is wondering that little hose is just a bypass hose and Ys into a hose that then Ts above the TB and goes to the expansion tank. A quick fix would be to just replace that little hose if your plastic connection in the waterpump is not fragile and still holding. Considering that my hose just snapped I am going to do the "upgrade" as the dealer calls it. My local dealer wanted almost 300 dollars for those 2 hoses, but you can get both online for $100-$150. Hopefully this is helpful for anyone that accidentally damages that hose.

Last edited by blownsilly; 08-13-2020 at 04:19 PM. Reason: correction after speaking with the dealer
The following 2 users liked this post by blownsilly:
Adam J (08-14-2020), Reaxions (04-06-2022)
Old 04-06-2022, 10:49 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Thank you for this info! I just snapped that little bugger while starting to replace my water pump and other cooling parts last night, after a few Victory Golden Monkey IPAs. D'oh! I didn't know to push in the little black ring until after I snapped it, as the workshop manual just has a picture of a screwdriver next to a small, crappy cartoon image of it, and absolutely no other guidance. Even so, I had it most of the way out by using a steel trim remover wedged in the slots, but it got stuck at the last few millimeters or so, and while I was applying a little tension, I simultaneously snapped it at the base and a few inches further down the pipe. I guess I'm taking the throttle body off, too, now.

These brittle plastic cooling parts have me in a vendetta kinda' mood. Not to mention all of the rubber hoses sticking to the pipes like they were epoxied on, even after the clamps are painfully removed. I guess the rubber just sort of melts onto the attached parts after some pretty decent heat cycling for eleven years. Not sure how to avoid that, though, unless you completely refresh all of the parts every two years or so. Yeesh.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:46 PM
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Super prone to breaking on removal. IIRC it has a valve in it that is part of the self burping system for coolant expansion, feeds to the thermostat housing or the expansion tank.

The following users liked this post:
Reaxions (04-09-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 09:13 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That hose caused me so much stress and spending $200 on coolant over the last month. The plastic end piece wasn't sealing well with the water pump, I think the o-ring inside the water pump opening was bad. Ended up self-tapping the opening, threading it, and adding a compression fitting so I never have to worry about it again.

The following 2 users liked this post by BreaktheChains:
Reaxions (04-14-2022), VicVegas84 (04-14-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 08:38 AM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I am about to replace my water pump. Would love to avoid breaking that plastic hose connector to the water pump. Is there a specific sequence to follow to disconnect the plastic hose connector from the water pump? Do I push in the retaining ring that sits in the water pump before pulling out the hose connector?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-18-2022, 08:44 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, I would wait until after the water pump is out, and use a small punch and try and pop the plastic fitting from the inside, out.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,371 Likes on 1,869 Posts

Rubber hoses often get stuck or vulcanized to the metal tubes they are attached too. This tool is used to break the rubber free from the metal so you can twist and remove the rubber hose.

The rubber hose is often difficult to get to before you can even try to rotate it and remove it. These are compound hose pliers and just work super!
A bit expensive at $65 for a set of three.

But they prevent a lot of damage and have paid for themselves for me.

Set of 3 Compound Hose Pliers Set of 3 Compound Hose Pliers

Old 04-19-2022, 08:02 AM

Those picks are how I actually got the rubber hoses off - after I released the clamps, I'd slide the pick between the rubber hose and associated pipe to gently prise the hose off a little without causing any damage, so I could then slide a small flathead screwdriver (lubed with a tiny bit of WD-40) in next to it, and work both of them around the perimeter of the hose until it eventually released.

Instead of the long compound pliers you mentioned, I used either vice grips or locking needle nose pliers to hold the clamps open. It wasn't the best option, it was just the best option I already owned. I've got some long pliers, but they aren't compound, and don't have much grab- strength, so I usually just use them to retrieve items which have fallen into right spaces (or I'll also use a long, flexible shaft with a lighted magnetic tip). I probably need to invest in some of those long compound pliers, though.

I did end up purchasing the "Astro Pneumatic Tool 94093 Multi-Cable Hose Clamp Pliers" (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JBL7TA2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JBL7TA2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
) though, as I still have more hoses to release and reinstall. Note: I separated the item name from the Amazon link as a lot of times on the forum, I'll click on a link which no longer works, and have no idea of the item name, so maybe people can search on the item name if the link ever dies.

Anyway, I haven't yet tried out the Astro Pneumatic pliers yet, so can't give any feedback, but they look like they'll do a pretty good job upon initial examination.

Good luck to anyone doing this work with big hands, as the spaces are tight, and you'll likely end up slicing them up several times.

​​​​​​@hartmandm (Mike) - If you still need guidance on releasing that small pipe, PM me and I'll send you my phone number, to see if I can walk you through it in better detail. But, yes, you push the black retaining ring on the water pump in, towards the water pump, while carefully pulling the hose out. But, be very careful, because even if you successfully remove that part of the hose from the water pump, the whole plastic hose is so brittle that you might break it somewhere else. As I mentioned, I broke it completely off in two places with barely any force. Plus, if I remember correctly, the other end of that hose goes under the throttle body, where it would be a real b*tch to successfully remove without removing the throttle body. Regardless, if I were you, and I know it's not ideal, but I'd suck it up and just buy the updated version of that hose (two separate pieces - C2Z26930 and C2Z28258), which is made differently and is a lot less prone to breakage.

hartmandm (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 12:28 PM

clubairth1 - I have those tools you mention. They are really useful.

Reaxions - good info! Luckily, my XF came with those redesigned parts. If I don't break that plastic piece on disassembly and it doesn't seem brittle, I will probably try to re-use it. If it later leaks, it's not very hard to replace. My low coolant sensor does work properly now, since I recently replaced the coolant reservoir. So I should be ready to notice any coolant leaks when they develop, prior to overheating the engine.

Thanks,
Mike

Reaxions (04-19-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 04:48 PM

I left the plastic piece in the water pump while removing the water pump. Tried to remove the plastic piece once the water pump was off the vehicle. The part broke of course. I did find a brass replacement piece on EBay and have ordered it. Will see if it works.
EBay item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265027875966

Mike

Old 04-25-2022, 06:47 AM

Sorry to hear that it broke, but it's probably best that it broke while you were already working on the car, rather than some other inopportune time which could've left you stranded and/or catastrophically damaged your engine.

That's good info on the "upgraded" brass replacement! For everyone who might see that link in the future, after the item has potentially expired, etc. here are a few screen shots of the item on eBay:

​​​​

VicVegas84 (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 07:07 AM

One other note... while I would personally almost never use anything made by Uro parts, based exclusively on the feedback I've read across the interwebz, DeviLSH identified an "upgraded" aluminum pipe for the water pump, to replace the plastic version made and sold by pretty much everyone else, and which is well-known for failure. The URO part number is: LR028136PRM.

I ordered one, and the shape, dimensions, etc. are identical in every way to the plastic pipe I removed from my car. It even came with an o-ring already installed.

Last edited by Reaxions; 04-25-2022 at 07:11 AM.
VicVegas84 (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 07:59 AM
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by hartmandm
I left the plastic piece in the water pump while removing the water pump. Tried to remove the plastic piece once the water pump was off the vehicle. The part broke of course. I did find a brass replacement piece on EBay and have ordered it. Will see if it works.
EBay item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265027875966

Mike
Nice find! I would be mildly concerned about galvanic corrosion with this part, same with the brass bleeder screw on top passenger side that a lot of people swap out from the factory plastic. I would overlook that concern if this is all that's wrong with the hose as we all know it's expensive.

hartmandm (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 10:33 AM

I saw that aluminum version of the outlet pipe referenced in another thread (probably the thread you mentioned) and have bought one. Will be installing it soon.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-25-2022, 12:14 PM
Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Reaxions
"upgraded" aluminum pipe for the water pump, to replace the plastic version made and sold by pretty much everyone else, and which is well-known for failure. The URO part number is: LR028136PRM.

I ordered one, and the shape, dimensions, etc. are identical in every way to the plastic pipe I removed from my car. It even came with an o-ring already installed.
You surprise me, never heard of that failing myself.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by VicVegas84
Nice find! I would be mildly concerned about galvanic corrosion with this part, same with the brass bleeder screw on top passenger side that a lot of people swap out from the factory plastic. I would overlook that concern if this is all that's wrong with the hose as we all know it's expensive.
The galvanic corrosion is definitely worth considering. Thanks for mentioning that. Using a brass bleeder screw results in direct aluminum to brass contact. I'm not sure there is direct aluminum to brass contact with the water pump. The little connector piece attached to the rubber hose appears to be making contact with a plastic insert plug and an o-ring inside the water pump. Also, I think the water pump may have a brass insert in the connector hole. The insert metal is colored yellow / gold. Check out the attached photo of the new water pump.

Thanks,
Mike

VicVegas84 (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by kansanbrit
You surprise me, never heard of that failing myself.
It's what I've read a bunch, but can't confirm directly. My water pump dumped it's guts from there, right on top of the belt, and I'm not sure if it was the connector pipe or the pump itself.

Old 07-14-2023, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used this as well and seems an upgrade from the plastic.

Quick Reply: Small Coolant Hose that plugs into waterpump 2012 XF supercharged