XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

So what were the pre MY12 voice system issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So what were the pre MY12 voice system issues?

I kind of stayed away from even reading about the voice system for a several days of ownership given what I had read on the system. But when I found myself attempting to change a “My Music” selection that required hitting a very small “+” in the touch screen while driving, I decided to explore it.

I’ve found it very helpful and user friendly. I didn’t do any voice training it just worked. I find it much easier to change music sources while driving (assuming that was the intent) with voice rather than the touch screen while driving. Of course streaming Bluetooth can’t be called out in the voice system (I assume this was an oversight when the feature was added to the available options but not voice control) but the prompts that display on the screen remind me of the “words” if it’s something I don’t do regularly. I’ve even used it for Nav entry with little frustration.

So what was this system like prior to MY12? I’ve read all sorts of frustrations from consumers and the manufacture on this issue. Including a plan to remove the voice system post production to improve quality ratings (i.e can’t complain about a system if it’s not there anymore). Sounds like who ever made that decision within TaTa was an only child (i.e took his ball and went home).

I’d like to just have an understanding from anyone that can shed some light on how that previous system worked and would like to know the difference from the existing system. Just curious.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 AM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I asked the dealer to activate it and was told it wasn't available. 2011 XFR.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CP1 - your dealer is full of baloney. I recently purchased a new 2011 XF SC and had the Jaguar Voice activated (initially they wanted to charge me $250 for that, but they eventually relented due to some other work they needed to perform on the car). I now have it, and have used it a couple times.

WHealy - the 2011 and pre version is not necessarily intuitive (you need to wait for beeps and use specific commands - and it needs to learn your voice - so you need to "teach" it the name you want to use for a particular phone number, etc.). But it does work - I just think it is more for people that are accustomed to such technology (which is not nearly as user friendly as the 2012 version sounds). Remembering the specific commands/order is probably the most difficult thing about it.