XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Solving the horrible brake dust on the rear pads.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Solving the horrible brake dust on the rear pads.

Our 13 XF AWD suffers from horrible dusting on the rear wheels (to the point that I had it looked at thinking the ebrake was sticking a bit but Jag claims it is "normal"). I have had cars with race pads that dust less. In a couple hundred miles the rear wheels are black, the fronts are just lightly covered. The pads are Jaguar OEM pads Have been a fan of Akabono for the other two cars for their performance and low visable dusting. Anybody go with Akebono pads on theirs and if so how were your results? No loss in braking or feel? Dusting? etc. Also, anything special about replacing the rear pads on the XF? I'm guessing I need a Ford wind cube tool right?

Old 08-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

Definitely go ceramic. I posted somewhere on here about ceramic pads. I think Akebono has the rear, but they definitely don't have the front. I used some other brand that seems to work just as well.

That dust you see on your wheels is not just brake pad material, it's also the rotors. So the sooner you get rid of the crappy stock pads, the less you will be spending on rotors.

Since I switched to ceramic pads, the pads are lasting much, much longer, and there's no wear on the rotors.

Don't get the EBC ceramic pads though. They are a joke. Lots of dust and they wear out fast (which goes hand in hand).

And yes you need to wind in the rear calipers with a special tool.

The following users liked this post:
TreVoRTasmin (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Definitely go ceramic. I posted somewhere on here about ceramic pads. I think Akebono has the rear, but they definitely don't have the front. I used some other brand that seems to work just as well.

That dust you see on your wheels is not just brake pad material, it's also the rotors. So the sooner you get rid of the crappy stock pads, the less you will be spending on rotors.

Since I switched to ceramic pads, the pads are lasting much, much longer, and there's no wear on the rotors.

Don't get the EBC ceramic pads though. They are a joke. Lots of dust and they wear out fast (which goes hand in hand).

And yes you need to wind in the rear calipers with a special tool.

I have never been a fan of EBC for much of anything. OK for racing applications but even then there are better. There is a listing for the fronts (at least for the 3.0 via Akebono if I read it right when I did a search for the rears.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

On the RWD XF cars the rear pads go quickly because the traction control modulates the rear brakes and burns through the pads. Usually the rears get replaced before the fronts. You'd think the AWD setup would be different though since traction wouldn't be much of an issue. I switched to ceramics because I couldn't deal with all the dust. Find a good ceramic pad.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
On the RWD XF cars the rear pads go quickly because the traction control modulates the rear brakes and burns through the pads. Usually the rears get replaced before the fronts. You'd think the AWD setup would be different though since traction wouldn't be much of an issue. I switched to ceramics because I couldn't deal with all the dust. Find a good ceramic pad.
Again, I have never experienced such horrible brake dust on anything save a hillclimb racer I used to have. Our XJR has traction control as well and not an issue, it is my wife's car and she drives like it has a model t motor in it. I do have the akebonos on order but ceramic pads tend to wear your rotors even more so we shall see. To me it is beyond acceptable for a modern "premium" car for this to happen, I don't see BMW or Audi having this issue. What I do find interesting though is the pads are on lots of cars, mostly cars carrying 1000-1500lbs less weight then little miss piggie XF. That could be part of the issue.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I replaced my rear pads with Akebono and they produce no dust at all. They don't make pads for the front on my car, so I got Powerstop Eolution Clean Ride. Those are also very dust-free. No issues since the installation. BTW, Tire Rack claims Centric Posi-Quiet is as dust-free as Akebono. Make sure you buy new sensors (front and rr are not the same). Pex brand sensor is the Jaguar OEM sensor for around $30 instead of $90+ for the Jaguar branded version.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Long Islander
I replaced my rear pads with Akebono and they produce no dust at all. They don't make pads for the front on my car, so I got Powerstop Eolution Clean Ride. Those are also very dust-free. No issues since the installation. BTW, Tire Rack claims Centric Posi-Quiet is as dust-free as Akebono. Make sure you buy new sensors (front and rr are not the same). Pex brand sensor is the Jaguar OEM sensor for around $30 instead of $90+ for the Jaguar branded version.
New sensors? For what? Don't the stupid things reset?

Old 08-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
He's talking about the pad wear sensors.
There are two of them, one on the inner pad of the front left brakes and one on the inner pad of the rear right brakes. They don't reset, once they trigger they are toast and need to be replaced, as they work by wearing through a contact once the brake pad wears down to around 4 mm thick. Even if not triggered/worn through they are a pig to remove and relocate on new pads as the end clips go brittle with age and often break off as you try to refit them, so best to get new ones.
The other solution is to disable them, by cutting the cable and joining the two wires together. If you simply remove the sensor altogether you will get constant error messages, but by leaving it plugged in (not to the brake pad, but the other end up in the wheel well) with the wires joined the system thinks it's all A OK and you won't get any messages. Of course if you do this you will no longer have working sensors and you will need to manually check for pad wear, but that's easy enough to do and you should do so every now and then even if you still have working sensors as they are not infallible.

The following users liked this post:
TreVoRTasmin (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 08:50 AM

OMG what a crock of a crutch for the people who have no business being behind the wheel to being with at the expense of everyone else. Where is the sensor to check that the owner has a pulse while they are at it?

Old 08-04-2017, 09:18 AM

I'm talking about the brake pad wear sensors.

There are two of them (one front left and one right rear) and they are small pieces of plastic that break easily. I replaced the front pads myself to eliminate the brake dust and the sensor broke when I was removing it. It had not yet begun to show a low-pad warning. If it is not yet illuminating and you're very lucky, you may be able to re-use the sensor, but sometimes they break while you replace the brake pad.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:20 AM

OMG what a crock of a crutch for the people who have no business being behind the wheel to being with at the expense of everyone else. Where is the sensor to check that the owner has a pulse while they are at it?

Are you talking about OZXFR and me? We both took the time to provide you with useful tips and accurate information, and you return the favor by insulting us?

Old 08-04-2017, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Are you talking about OZXFR and me? We both took the time to provide you with useful tips and accurate information, and you return the favor by insulting us?
Not at all, app. the insight, it is simply a crock that car companies ding owners what $60 more per axle to replace a stupid sensor that isn't needed in the first place if you take care of your car. How hard is it to look at your brake pads every so often? I simply do not belong in a nanny state nor a nanny car.

My wife's hasn't shown a code as I'm replacing because of the horrible dusting the rears are producing. Wheel is black in 100 miles and I mean BLACK! Jag says they aren't sticking so their crappy pads with 60% life are going in the trash.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 444 Likes on 390 Posts

Two thoughts. You can buy an aftermarket sensor for a fraction of the price of the OEM ones.
But if you still don't want it, it's a closed loop of wire and as the pad wars thin the wire is broken and sends an error code. So just cut off the old sensor, short across the wire and tie it back up in the wheel well. And it should never bother you again

Old 08-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

I do have the akebonos on order but ceramic pads tend to wear your rotors even more
Internet myth. Completely bad information being spread again, this time by "Trevor."

Ceramic pads like the Akebonos give you much much less wear on the rotors.

Use common sense. If the Akebono's give no dust, but they grind down the rotors, where is that rotor dust going?

It's not that hard people.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Internet myth. Completely bad information being spread again, this time by "Trevor."

Ceramic pads like the Akebonos give you much much less wear on the rotors.

Use common sense. If the Akebono's give no dust, but they grind down the rotors, where is that rotor dust going?

It's not that hard people.

Internet myth? If Ielieved what I read on the internet, I would own a Lotus not a hairy chested Tivver LOL, plenty experience with using ceramics for years. As for common sense, Akebono's and other ceramics give lots of dust, it is simply not as visable as semi metallic dust from standard pads. It isn't hard, experience is the key and I and many others see increased wear due to ceramic pads. They eat my Tiger rotors insanely quick but it is a trade off I'm happy with so the wheels don't turn into your average front rims on a Mercedes.