XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Something I didn't think was possible, thinking of trading-in my Jag.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Something I didn't think was possible, thinking of trading-in my Jag.

I liked the XF from day one. I thought it was a beautiful car the moment I seen it and I still feel the same. I figured I would be paying off this '09 SC but it doesn't look like that's going to be happening now. I'm really falling for that new 2013 Cadillac XTS. Anybody seen this car yet? I'm thinking about trading my Jag for the new XTS. I don't really like the newer XF's. I don't care for the new design of the XF. I felt like the new XF design was a lateral design, and not a step-up in the design.

Anyone else seen the new Cadillac XTS?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Going from a Jaguar to a Caddy would be a step down in my book. If you replace your Jaguar with a non Jag there are two lateral options V8 E class Mercedes like E63 or V8 5 series BMW like the M5. Any other sedan us below your XF.

2013 Cadillac XTS First Drive - Motor Trend

Above is a link to a pretty fare review of the Buick LaCrosse er I mean Cadillac XTS. If your looking for a front wheel drive Buick you might consider the Turbo Regal it is a better car.

2012 Buick Regal GS First Test - Motor Trend

It a little early for April fools?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

This is the European Opel/Vauxhall Insignia. Front wheel drive or awd with a transverse drivetrain. The last SAAB 9 5 was based on this platform.

It isn't really a Cadillac, which is good.

Why you would trade so far down is a mystery. There are other Cadillacs built on rwd platforms more competitive with the Jaguar. There's even a monster supercharged V8 lifted out of the Corvette stuck into one of these.

This XTS is your basic economy luxury car not even close to competing with an XF like mine let alone your SC version.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 PM

yeah people been telling me its a step down.

I don't know. Maybe its me.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the links. Just read them. Something to definitely think about with the pros and cons.

I won't be making any rash decisions based on initial impulse. Therefore I will not be trading-in anytime soon. I will do my homework and wait to see how I feel after I've seen several on the road. Sometimes you see something initially, and love it, but if you just wait you ultimately realize it's not what you thought. So we shall see.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

That's a huge step down. American car companies don't know anything about ostentatious luxury saloons. You will get board with Cadillac within a 20 days.

Both C class and 3 series offer much more for the money.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

My impression is that Caddy interiors are subpar. I am not a fan of the angular design aesthics. I like the four door CTS-V exterior the best, but that's just an opinion. You like what you like.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
My impression is that Caddy interiors are subpar. I am not a fan of the angular design aesthics. I like the four door CTS-V exterior the best, but that's just an opinion. You like what you like.
I agree. The two door CTS-V has one of the ugliest rear ends ever. Yuck!

Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Not to mention you feel like you're driving in a tank, the beltline is so high and the roof so low. One really pleasant feature about the XF (and the XJ for that matter) is the interior is light and airy feeling despite the armoured car beltline modern crash testing demands.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey, if you like a car - go for it - after all everyone on the forum won't be driving with you!

Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

When I was shopping for my Jag, I thought to myself: "Have I reached the age that it's time for 'an old man's car'?". I didn't feel old. I just wanted a "nice" car. Something that when I answered I owned, didn't translate to "mid-life crisis" or "next he'll be buying a hat" in the inquisitor's mind.

For the "mid-life crisis" (spoken sarcastically) that started, oh about 10 years ago, I got into motorcycling. That gives me enough of a thrill, enough challenge, and enough excitement, that I don't really need a sports car. I have owned 9 sportbikes since then, and when a woman sees you roll up in full sport leathers (tastefully matched, I might add), and you are not acting like a dork (wheelies, stoppies, burnouts, reving the engine), they know there is no "mid-life crisis" going on.

For the "next he'll be buying a hat", I feared that getting a large comfortable car would proclaim the hat to be my next purchase. I base this upon my neighbors. They have Buicks, Lincolns, and Cadillacs. When they drive, they wear hats. I can understand a hat for a convertible, but for a hardtop? These same owners would drive so slow, I was reminded of my sister's impatience with them, cussing "get off the road to die" under her breath. Had I come to this age?

No. I might be 50, I might be long in the tooth, but I am not an "old" man. I don't feel old, I am not slowing down. There is a spring in my step. There is a positive outlook on the world. I am quite capable of having long conversations with women 25 years my junior. There is current music I like, I readily adapt to latest technology (too many android tablets), and will shortly be getting back to putting long hours in the gym. For me, I haven't changed.

With all that in mind, I wanted a car that was "nice", special, unique, different. An American car did not fulfill those requirements. Neither did a BMW or a Mercedes, as they are ubiquitous. Something Italian would be nice, but they are too rare and consequently too expensive. I am a frugal man, but was willing to spend a little on the car. Now everyone has their opinion of "spend a little", mine was $10K. Stop laughing, you can get deals, they just take a little work.

Nevertheless, thoughts of a Jaguar stirred in my brain. Just the marque's name brings thoughts of classy state cotillions or Black and White *****. Of posh multi-acre estates in England. Of decades of racing pedigree and luxury surpassed by few. I liked these thoughts. Being a man, I thought what type of woman steps out of a Jag? Class, refinement, maturity, education, intelligence, and hawt. I really liked these thoughts.

So a Jag it was.

Of course, all of this is subjective. Everyone has their tastes. I am very happy that I bought my Jag. I look forward to each time I drive it, it is so quiet, comfortable, and smooth. While it is not a sporty car, I have been impressed by its performance should I need to push it. When I see it in my office's parking lot, surrounded by BMWs, Mercedes, Lexi (Lexuses), Acuras, Infinitis, Buicks, and Cadillacs, it is the only Jag there. That makes it unique and special, and I smile.

Last edited by heima; 12-18-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nicely put, when I shopped for my Jag I looked for a 5 passenger sedan that could do 0-60 deep into the 4 second range and looked nice getting there. I drove Audi S6, Mercedes E63's and Infiniti M56. None of them were as fast or comfortable as the the Jaguar. The E63 was the closest but driving around you are surrounded by E series Mercedes. Many people would have a difficult time telling the difference between a 100k E63 and a 40k E350. I go weeks between seeing another XF and days between seeing another Jaguar.

Friends and family act like am driving a Ferrari.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

To Legend. I haven't seen the XTS. If I get a chance, I'll stop by the Caddy dealer and look it over. If you like it, you like it - but if you give it 3 months maybe the feeling will pass. Cars are a strange addiction.

P.S. No hat and no umbrella either, but have the Jag.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

When I was shopping, I looked at replacing my 06 infiniti M45 with a newer model but then I seen the XF. It was Love at first sight. I kept my options open and also test drove the V series caddy as well as a M5 and a E63. For the options to money value plus horse power to boot, I came back to Jag and thats all she wrote. The caddy is a nice car, My father own serveral of them but even he left after getting sick of the crappy building practices. In 2013 my XF-SC will be 3 years old and she still turns heads like the day I bought her home. BMW and Merc are a dime a dozen but the Jag is unique. This is what still puts a smile on my face. IMHO..

Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

I recommend you stop taking all those Android tablets and have an Apple instead. You should ignore those spam emails offering you non- prescription tablets.

I hear you guys on why the Jaguar caught your attention. I add to that: i bought mine for the way it drives.

My very first automatic transmission and my very first V8. I thought I was going mad!

However, my dealer lent me a car for a very lengthy test drive ( I had to see how it fit into my garage). I drove for over an hour and the drive was sensational.

Four years later the XF still delivers an exciting drive whenever I wish. During intervals between hard and thrilling drives my XF also delivers a soothing and effortless drive to and from work in heavy traffic. A true dual purpose car.

I only have the normally aspirated V8, but what an engine. The transmission is superb. The car turns, brakes and accelerates with a composed and capable character just not found in any other brand. And I do mean that my XF is the best drive I have experienced in a daily driver. Nothing else comes close.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
To Legend. I haven't seen the XTS. If I get a chance, I'll stop by the Caddy dealer and look it over. If you like it, you like it - but if you give it 3 months maybe the feeling will pass. Cars are a strange addiction.

P.S. No hat and no umbrella either, but have the Jag.

Fair enough. When you see it, you let me know what you think.

Being fairly young, in my mid 30s. I still want the latest and greatest. And yes, the XF SC is a fun car, and the best car I've had. I thought when I did upgrade, it would be for another XF perhaps. But I have to admit, I don't like the newer XF's that much. I don't think Jaguar was creative enough. Ok, they added the LED lights on the front. But they came late in the game, and completely copied Audi IMO. IF you're going to come late, then you should at least come more aggressive with the styling. There wasn't any real innovation with the LEDs that made it felt uniquely to Jags. For example Mercedes came out with the popular LED trend as well, but there's are a little different and though copied in technology, they feel unique to Mercedes. Cadillac have their LEDS, but they are unique as well. I love the new vertical styled LEDs on the XTS, totally innovation IMO. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNxzTYgFHJU

To me, Jag's XF LED style isn't much different from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_R06qx3zLQ (0:38)

And why remove the beautiful inscribed J A G U A R from the rear? I just feel they could've did a much better job.

Last edited by TheLegend; 12-19-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The Legend,

I agree with all of your points about the face lifted XF. I had considered getting a new SC or XFR but I'm only very luke warm about the exterior changes as well. I do like some of the interior changes they've made such as better seats and I assume that the touchscreen system is better. Although I think some type of knob placed in the console would keep one from distraction while driving and scrolling through folders. As for the LED's I can't escape the fact that something is missing on the lower front of the XF and XJ. That's why I prefer the MY09-11 models because you could add the blade DRL's so the car doesn't look empty in the lower bumper area. Audi, Merc, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti (anymore) don't skimp on that. I've seen an XTS in person and I can say that I like the car from the front, but the back quarter panel area behind the wheels looks too long and odd shaped for me. Maybe it wasn't the top of the line model that I had seen and usually that's all I even look at when it comes to vehicles. I never consider base models because they never look as complete with smaller wheels and lower grade materials.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ttboonie
The Legend,

I agree with all of your points about the face lifted XF. I had considered getting a new SC or XFR but I'm only very luke warm about the exterior changes as well. I do like some of the interior changes they've made such as better seats and I assume that the touchscreen system is better. Although I think some type of knob placed in the console would keep one from distraction while driving and scrolling through folders. As for the LED's I can't escape the fact that something is missing on the lower front of the XF and XJ. That's why I prefer the MY09-11 models because you could add the blade DRL's so the car doesn't look empty in the lower bumper area. Audi, Merc, BMW, Lexus and Infiniti (anymore) don't skimp on that. I've seen an XTS in person and I can say that I like the car from the front, but the back quarter panel area behind the wheels looks too long and odd shaped for me. Maybe it wasn't the top of the line model that I had seen and usually that's all I even look at when it comes to vehicles. I never consider base models because they never look as complete with smaller wheels and lower grade materials.

Exactly! The interiors changes are obvious, but I'm not buying a car for slightly better seats and touchscreen interface. Where's the innovation? That's what I'm looking for when I'm spending dollars of this nature. This is what attracted me to the XF in the first place, starting with the gear selector. I just don't see the creativity in the new models. Like a LCD display for your gauges(like the XJ), and a heads-up display. And they could've done so much more with the LED lights. The front end LED looks very aftermarket-ish, and not like it came from the manufacture that way(even though it did).

But I still like the XF. I just see it now fading a bit when they could've really solidified the XF into the market.

Far as the XTS, I would get the platinum AWD in this color:
2013 Cadillac XTS | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I know what you're saying about the back and it's somewhat different shape. But I like that. it's different. And the XTS wheels leaves a lot to be the desired, they don't compare to some of the Jags factory wheels(Volar). So I will definitely get my own aftermarket rims, but if you have a good imagination like I do, then you can kind of see what I'm seeing.

Last edited by TheLegend; 12-19-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i used to own an XF, i currently own a new XJ....and ive driven the XTS.....let me tell you how i feel about them

in terms of price, the XTS ran cheaper
in terms of technology, the XTS had a little more...but not necessarily better. the XTS touch screen is more of a "oh look at this" piece....once you start playing with it, you get bored/annoyed.
in terms of driving....the XF is 100000x better. I drove the XTS AWD....but the XF was better all around...driving, pushing, handling, stopping, steering.
in terms of looks....XF wins
in terms of size.....XTS wins

cars are something you buy with your heart, not with your brain. On paper the XTS seems like good value, but the XF is just all around nicer. makes you enjoy driving.

and i personally think going from Jag to Caddy is a step down.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

Four years old and no significant changes. For comparison try Porsche for lack of innovation!

The facelifted XF is the way it was supposed to be on initial release but Jaguar didn't want to totally skip the four headlight fairing look dating back to the 1966 XJ design. In fact the XF kept very much the Jaguat shape but updated the overall look. Then completed the transition in 2012. The new F Type completes the move forward away from that four headlight look but restores the hint of the old XJ grille shape, plus a not to the E Type tail, very neatly done.

Remember that Jaguar is a very small car company. Given their financial resources the new Jaguars are brilliantly conceived and executed.

Quick Reply: Something I didn't think was possible, thinking of trading-in my Jag.