XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Steering wheel and the car moves left/right on small potholes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel and the car moves left/right on small potholes

Hi,

I have a '12 plate XF 2.2D and have recently started getting this issue with the steering wheel.

The steering does not feel in control and as a result I have to grab it quite tightly to prevent it from veering into other lanes. It happens at both low and high speeds all the time. Especially when I am on A roads, the car steers in/away from the direction of the small potholes in the road. The car moves unexpectidly and its getting quite dangerous now. Yesterday, as I was stopping for a traffic light, just before coming top a stop, the car steered towards the left and the steering wheel turned more than half circle. I was holding the steering wheel very lightly at this point. But this should not happen and never use to happen until recently.

The problem started when a spring from the front left suspension was changed as it was making a noise. Since I got the car back from the dealer, I have been having the above problem. I have taken the car twice back to the dealer to have a look, every time I am told that they have done some adjustments, but the problem hasn't gone away. I am waiting for them to give me a call again so that I can go through this again with them.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
MS

Old 11-01-2013, 09:32 AM

Hi,

Just an update on this. Here is what I have been told by the dealership:

1. They did not find any fault with the vehicle. (they haven't done the tracking on it)
2. The front tyres have got 2mm thread on the inside and have said that they recommend replacing both of them. (the legal limit is 1.4 or 1.6 I think)
3. They want to charge me £85 for doing the tracking.

I assumed that if I am complaining about an issue then surely they should do the tracking to diagnose the issue, and not ask me to pay for it? Its still under warranty by the way.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
MS

Old 11-01-2013, 09:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum bhensa,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to XF/XFR forum. Members here with the same model will be familiar with the 'normal' handling and able to help.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

For the benefit of members outside the UK, a '12 Plate' is a vehicle registered between March and August 2012.

Graham

Old 11-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

I dont know of differances between uk/us warranty. In the us a alignment adjustment is only covered for the first 12/12. And most relise that it only takes a curb or pothole to knock out the tracking/alignment. And warranty is for a manufacturing defect of which a tracking issue after 12/12 is not. And yes this would be the first thing i would want to check and adjust as art of diagnosis. But this would not be a warranty issue so the tech would not be paid, it would have to be paid by customer. 2mm of tread is not alot and would also recommend to replace. Look at the wear indicator in between the tread as a guide. If youre in them or close replace them. Not only does this affect tracking but increased braking distance as well. And this is all assuming there is no play in suspension joints and or broken bushings of which also would be checked on a lift. and what mileage are you at?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

If the new left hand spring changed the ride height on that side of the vehicle, then the front end alignment (tracking) would be affected.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Alignment would be covered if the spring defect was covered. A new tire or tires should also be covered, adjusted for use, if excessive wear was caused by the defective spring.

Your dealership seems incompetent. Try a different one.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 AM

I missed the spring change, but. There is a bulletin for both xf and xj about spring noise in front and it involves replacing the upper spring mounts as the cup (upper mount) is a slightly differant diameter than the upper spring wire and creat noise. It is to replace upper spring mount only and does not include nor need a new spring and alignment. Are you sure paperwork said new spring and not mount? Did it refer to bulletin???

Old 11-04-2013, 03:54 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi MS,

I am sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing.

Please PM me your following details to allow me to investigate further:
Full Name
Email
VIN
Dealership Name

Many Thanks

Mike

Originally Posted by bhensa
Hi,

I have a '12 plate XF 2.2D and have recently started getting this issue with the steering wheel.

The steering does not feel in control and as a result I have to grab it quite tightly to prevent it from veering into other lanes. It happens at both low and high speeds all the time. Especially when I am on A roads, the car steers in/away from the direction of the small potholes in the road. The car moves unexpectidly and its getting quite dangerous now. Yesterday, as I was stopping for a traffic light, just before coming top a stop, the car steered towards the left and the steering wheel turned more than half circle. I was holding the steering wheel very lightly at this point. But this should not happen and never use to happen until recently.

The problem started when a spring from the front left suspension was changed as it was making a noise. Since I got the car back from the dealer, I have been having the above problem. I have taken the car twice back to the dealer to have a look, every time I am told that they have done some adjustments, but the problem hasn't gone away. I am waiting for them to give me a call again so that I can go through this again with them.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
MS

Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Mike - Thanks so much for stepping in on this, I know its outside your remit so really appreciate your involvement as I'm sure the OP does.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Almost sounds like the left-side brake was not re-installed properly and momentarily grabs and steers the car to the left. Does it ever similarly self-steer towards the right?

Albert

Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 AM

Hi,

Just a quick update on this:

1. I have been told that the work that was carried out on the front left spring would have had no bearing on the tracking. I did not get any paper work for that job as it was under warranty at the time. So I will have to pay for the tracking to be done.

2. Guy Salmon in Ascot have said that there is a nail in the tyre very close to the wheel (front left) and that the tyre needs replacing.
I have got the tyre insurance on the car from Jardine group (Lancaster Reading) and called them up. They said that the this will be covered by the insurance, but they need the images of the damage and need to get the car into their dealership to get the new tyres fitted.

I cannot understand what sort of insurance is this, where you have to get the car to them to get the tyre replaced??? If the car is not in the driveable state then how am I supposed to get the car from Ascot to Reading?

I was told by Mike at Lancaster Reading to call Jaguar Assistance and ask them to move the car from one dealership to another. On calling the Jaguar assistance, they told me that they do not do this. As far as they were concerned, the car was at a dealership. So moving the car from one to the other is not their responsibility.

Now Guy Salmon in Ascot have suddenly said that the car is in a driveable condition and that I can drive it to Reading to get the tyres replaced!!!

Also, Lancaster Reading are asking me to get the car in to them but they cannot guarantee when will the tyres be replaced as they need approval for insurance. They said that they do not have a hire car either and to get one it will cost me £20 a day.

I am sorry if this was confusing but overall I am very dissapointed by both Jaguar and both the dealerships. The car was exquisite for the 18 months that I have owned it. But this 1 issue has caused me so much hassle that I am put off and quite frankly pi**ed off.

I have spoken to CRC, to the 2 dealerships and both the dealerships. No one seems to understand the situation from my (customer's) point of view. I have ended up driving a Range Rover Sport for the past 5 days and have spent as much fuel as I would have in a month. Its all very annoying.

MS

Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 AM

You can drive a car with a nail in it and you have been. But it is in a non repairable area so the tyre needs to be replaced. when you bought the car you bought tyre insurance evidently in finance. A good thing because theyre not cheap. But if the policy over covers replacement at that dealer then you have to go there. I dont understand this because the company we use is a company that covers the tyre regardless the dealership youre at, or bought from. But they're all differant obviously. This is not a jaguar issue but the policy from the company that underwrites it that you purchased from. Call them up!!
Maybe they will have you pay to replace with pics and receipts and get reimbursed or you dont really need to go to the other dealer and can have it replaced where youre at. Or... Just buy a new tyre out of your pocket if too inconvenient to follow the guidlines in the policy you purchased. But call them first and find outexactly the steps to take or read the policy

Last edited by Brutal; 11-05-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:27 AM

Hi all,

An update on this. After driving on loan cars for almost 2 weeks now. Finally I have got the car back with the tyres replaced. Got 2 tyres replaced and both have been fitted to the rear. Both the front tyres have got 2mm tread on them.

Unfortunately the problem is still there with the steering wheel. The car steers to one side at low speeds and it veers in/away from potholes.

Will call CRC and the the dealership to see what they can do.

Mayank

Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

2mm of tread remaining is worn out. You needed four new tires. You will find wet braking to be very poor with only 2 mm of tread.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=184

Be sure you are not just experiencing this

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47

Your symptoms are of tracking (we call it alignment) problems. Specifically I predict if you get the tracking checked you will find that you have inadequate toe in at the front, or even toe out. Time to stop messing about and get that alignment checked and corrected. Get new front tires at the same time.

Problem solved.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Jagular,

The 2mm tread depth is on the inside of the front tyres and not the overall tread. The dealership has not recommended me to change the front tyres, as they are well within both legal and Jaguar's recommended limits.

I am going to get the tracking done to see where the issue lies.

I believe that I am experiencing this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47. Thanks for the link.

MS

Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Jagular,

The 2mm tread depth is on the inside of the front tyres and not the overall tread. The dealership has not recommended me to change the front tyres, as they are well within both legal and Jaguar's recommended limits.

I am going to get the tracking done to see where the issue lies.

I believe that I am experiencing this http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=47. Thanks for the link.

MS
Yes, it's that excessive tire wear on the inside ribs that indicate a possible toe out situation, or at least inadequate toe in. That wears both front tires excessively at the inside edges.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 AM

Hi All,

Update:

I have got the new tyres on the front and the back tyres have got at least another 10k left in them (as per the dealiership).

The geometry was done on the car and the alignment on the front right was out by 1 degree, which was fixed. The car is driving much better now.

But, the car tramlines excessively when the tyres are swapped around.

Should Jaguar not test the car in all possible tread levels on all the 4 tyres? Either its just on the car that I have got or its a more generic problem. There is no reason why a car should tramline with perfectly fine tyres. They are well within the recommended limit.

Surely Jaguar should have tested the car on all possible permutations. This way I will have to change tyres more frequently than its required. Either its the company fitted tyres that are an issue or its the car that is not coping well after a bit of tyre wear. In either case, I believe this should be investigated further. I will contact Jaguar technical team regarding this and see what they have to say.

Has any one got any contact details for them or are they on this forum?

Thanks,
MS

Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 7,149 Posts

Should Jaguar not test the car in all possible tread levels on all the 4 tyres? Either its just on the car that I have got or its a more generic problem. There is no reason why a car should tramline with perfectly fine tyres. They are well within the recommended limit.

Yes, but a tire can appear "perfectly fine" with respect to remaining treadlife yet have a structural/casing/belt problem.

Surely Jaguar should have tested the car on all possible permutations. This way I will have to change tyres more frequently than its required. Either its the company fitted tyres that are an issue or its the car that is not coping well after a bit of tyre wear. In either case, I believe this should be investigated further. I will contact Jaguar technical team regarding this and see what they have to say.

I'm not the least bit famliar with the XF models but, owning an older XJR, I am painfully familiar with tramlining. I could write a book

Anyhow, don't discount the possibility of a faulty tire.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-27-2013, 05:26 AM

Hi Dough,

I have had the tyres examined at Kwikfit and they did not come up with any issues. I don't think that all the 4 tyres (including 2 brand new) will be faulty?

MS

Quick Reply: Steering wheel and the car moves left/right on small potholes