Steering Wheel Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coolabah
Hang on just a minute...
"Recently replaced brakes, rotors and pads."
"Drivers side rear rotor has decent grooves on it,"
... and you have only just replaced this rotor ????????????????????????????? WTF !
All my spidersense alarms are ringing..
Mate , sticking caliper, (or something in the brakes if not)- if you think you have ruled this out, please check again to be really sure this is not an issue . Then , check it again like 20 times.You absolutey cannot end up with "decent grooves" on a new rotor if all is good.
But- really difficult when we can't see what you *think* you are seeing... photos ???

I see that the pic never uploaded, so I'll try again.

Left side rear rotor. It's the only rotor with any grooves. I have an appointment for this weekend to have the brakes inspected by the place that installed them, so they SHOULD replace the rotor AND whatever else they messed up.

EDIT: Attaching some OBD readings with LTFT and STFT, etc.

Last edited by DanteDiVolo; 12-07-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 06:16 PM

Update, brakes checked and they said they have no issues. Went back to the installer to warranty it out if possible.. "We've determined we didn't do anything wrong." Hah! Tried saying a rock probably got stuck in the brake pad on that rotor. 3-4 rocks? All at once? Clearly they think I'm an idiot, or they actually ARE idiots.

Hissing/ticking/sprinkler noise has begun from drivers side of engine, as far as I can tell. The -95 STFT on bank 1 goes away when going downhill no throttle, and uphill no throttle now. So THAT'S got me rattling around looking for vacuum leaks and/or loose connections. None found yet!

Old 12-20-2021, 03:36 PM

So, checked under the car and found a loose ride height sensor. Does anyone else with a pre facelift XF have them as well? I do not have air suspension or active dampers, it's just a normal Premium from 2010. Anyone have any clues as to why I'd have those on my car?

Old 12-20-2021, 11:56 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Stability control etc.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:23 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Auto levelling for HID headlights? ( in which case you'll had no dashboard control for adjusting headlight level )

Old 12-21-2021, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sportbrake_phil
Auto levelling for HID headlights? ( in which case you'll had no dashboard control for adjusting headlight level )
I don't have any dashboard control for adjusting them, I thought it was all done under hood.

Originally Posted by litteredwithfaults
Stability control etc.
Well, then I hope my having refitted it to the correct location corrects at least some of the vibrations, though I can't say I've noticed any great reduction yet.

Old 12-21-2021, 05:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

While there will be mechanical adjustments of the lights under the hood, for modern cars there is generally a control on the dash that allows the driver to lower the headlight aim so as not to dazzle other drivers when the rear of the car is heavily loaded ( at least in the UK this seems to be on everything from around year 2000 ), but for cars with HID lights, due to them being so much brighter there is ( at least in the UK ) a requirement for cars to automatically adjust the headlight aim in order that the driver forgetting to lower them doesn't dazzle oncoming road users - so cars with HID lights generally are the only ones without a dash mounted control to adjust the light aim, and have sensors on the suspension. In the UK at least they're also required to have headlight washers in order to prevent too much light scatter.

The following ebay link shows the control on the panel with the fog light switch for an XF.

Old 12-21-2021, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by sportbrake_phil
While there will be mechanical adjustments of the lights under the hood, for modern cars there is generally a control on the dash that allows the driver to lower the headlight aim so as not to dazzle other drivers when the rear of the car is heavily loaded ( at least in the UK this seems to be on everything from around year 2000 ), but for cars with HID lights, due to them being so much brighter there is ( at least in the UK ) a requirement for cars to automatically adjust the headlight aim in order that the driver forgetting to lower them doesn't dazzle oncoming road users - so cars with HID lights generally are the only ones without a dash mounted control to adjust the light aim, and have sensors on the suspension. In the UK at least they're also required to have headlight washers in order to prevent too much light scatter.

The following ebay link shows the control on the panel with the fog light switch for an XF.
Wow! That seems like something that most likely gets ignored a lot... Never seen one of those in the US! I do have the headlight washers however. That's very interesting!

Old 12-29-2021, 04:42 PM

UPDATE: For those wanting access to their XF or other JLR vehicle via OBD2/OBDII the thinkcar thinkdiag mini is amazing, they have everything as far as access goes. Super useful, helped smooth out the idle vibrations, reset the steering which has made it MUCH lighter, and bled the brakes among a million other things... Too many that I have no idea how to use haha. None of the options fixed the vibration at speed however, but I plan on taking it in for another alignment and a road force balance to see if that helps.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:21 PM

Follow-up, no fix yet. Did order the CHOOCL BT 5.0 iPod adapter which works marvelously. Aside from that, oil change and new battery (old one was a 730 CCA!), neither of which SIGNIFICANTLY lessened the vibration, but so far it did remove the idle vibration thrum. Will keep working things one by one and report back! Additionally, the ride height sensor is, from my research, for the auto leveling headlights. Haven't seen anything come of re attaching it yet.

Last edited by DanteDiVolo; 01-24-2022 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DanteDiVolo
Follow-up, no fix yet. Did order the CHOOCL BT 5.0 iPod adapter which works marvelously. Aside from that, oil change and new battery (old one was a 730 CCA!), neither of which SIGNIFICANTLY lessened the vibration, but so far it did remove the idle vibration thrum. Will keep working things one by one and report back! Additionally, the ride height sensor is, from my research, for the auto leveling headlights. Haven't seen anything come of re attaching it yet.
Yes my 2010 XF has the leveling sensors at the right rear wheel attached to the upper control arm. Was actually very easy to switch out when I updated the new control arms.

An update from the manual about the headlamps;
Two systems of headlamp leveling are available; manual leveling which is only available on halogen headlamps and static
dynamic leveling which is available on xenon headlamps. The manual system uses a thumbwheel rheostat to adjust the
vertical alignment of the headlamps to compensate for differing vehicle loading. The static dynamic system uses height
sensors fitted to the front and rear suspension and a headlamp leveling module which periodically monitors the vehicle
attitude and adjusts the headlamp vertical alignment accordingly.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:16 AM
Banned
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
Default CHOOCL B% 5.0 iPod adapter.

Did you order your CHOOCL BT 5.0 iPod adapter from Amazon, or somewhere cheaper? I refuse to give $80.00 for a wires and plastic. I did purchase a Bluetooth device that works fairly well, but have to reconnect to it every time I get in the car.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by kkurulak
Yes my 2010 XF has the leveling sensors at the right rear wheel attached to the upper control arm. Was actually very easy to switch out when I updated the new control arms.

An update from the manual about the headlamps;
Two systems of headlamp leveling are available; manual leveling which is only available on halogen headlamps and static
dynamic leveling which is available on xenon headlamps. The manual system uses a thumbwheel rheostat to adjust the
vertical alignment of the headlamps to compensate for differing vehicle loading. The static dynamic system uses height
sensors fitted to the front and rear suspension and a headlamp leveling module which periodically monitors the vehicle
attitude and adjusts the headlamp vertical alignment accordingly.

Very interesting, thanks for the info! My front right has an error still after I put it back on and reset the headlight module, so gotta take a look at that still. Mine don't look like that, however.

Originally Posted by Gyro
Did you order your CHOOCL BT 5.0 iPod adapter from Amazon, or somewhere cheaper? I refuse to give $80.00 for a wires and plastic. I did purchase a Bluetooth device that works fairly well, but have to reconnect to it every time I get in the car.

Amazon, I thought expensive as well until I tried some other 30 pin BT adapters and none worked. The CHOOCL gives full control, steering wheel too, and display on the screen of track info for iPhones, not sure about Android side.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:52 AM
Banned

Very interesting, thanks for the info! My front right has an error still after I put it back on and reset the headlight module, so gotta take a look at that still. Mine don't look like that, however.

Amazon, I thought expensive as well until I tried some other 30 pin BT adapters and none worked. The CHOOCL gives full control, steering wheel too, and display on the screen of track info for iPhones, not sure about Android side.
Yeah, guess I will just have to bite the bullet and get it. I have read positive reviews about it which is probably why they can name their price. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-25-2022, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gyro
Yeah, guess I will just have to bite the bullet and get it. I have read positive reviews about it which is probably why they can name their price. Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately yeah the market isn't exactly saturated with options for our cars... But for sure, if you need any help with it once you get it let me know.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:00 PM
Banned

Unfortunately yeah the market isn't exactly saturated with options for our cars... But for sure, if you need any help with it once you get it let me know.
Thanks so much!

Old 02-03-2022, 06:58 AM

Update! Figured out the "buffeting" or "back window open" sound. It basically was a back window open... The left rear door's electrical opening plug was completely out, leaving a 2-3 inch hole in the door. Pushed it back into place, and no more buffeting sounds at speed. Still getting vibration through the steering wheel and seat. Working on slowly flushing the power steering again using the turkey baster method. Will continue updating!

Old 02-10-2022, 08:31 AM

Update, most likely unrelated. Randomly, when the car unlocks by pulling the drivers door handle, the gas door opens. Occasionally as well, the EPB does not release itself after shifting into park. My phone has begun to not connect to the bluetooth in the car. Sounds like shop time!

Old 03-31-2022, 07:32 AM

Update, replaced drive belt and the steering is much lighter at low speeds, brakes seem more responsive. Don't know if it's just placebo or not, but I plan on doing a fluid flush for both as well as replacing the PCV's on the engine. I'm also getting an alignment today, will continue to update. Car has returned to shaking and loud buffeting noise over 60-65.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:06 PM

Update, water pump lost it, replaced. Endurance paid 644.01, which apparently is the dealership cost. Idle thrumming is gone, but still vibrates a lot. Shaking over 60-65 still present, but only occasionally. PCV replacement made a massive difference! Fluid replacement also made a smaller difference. But, any little bit helps! Will continue updating. Also currently doing LED conversion. All interior done, side markers done. Plan on replacing the driving lights next.

Last edited by DanteDiVolo; 05-17-2022 at 04:11 PM.