XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Steering Wheel Vibration 50-60MPH

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Steering Wheel Vibration 50-60MPH

Hi,

I started to notice some steering wheel vibration about a fortnight ago, just before my 2.2 Diesel 2013 XF was due in for it's service and MOT. I had the guys at the MOT centre balance the front wheels, but this didn't improved the situation at all. I then had them balanced at another shop and I watched the tech get them balanced down to 0 on the machine, but he did mention that the front drivers wheel had a bad 'side-to-side' buckle.

I eventually bit the bullet and have had four brand new rims fitted and although this has helped a good bit the vibration between 50-60MPH remains. If I take her up to 70MPH the vibration disappears and isn't present at lower speeds under 50MPH. I've also noticed that if I take a corner on the motorway at around 50-60MPH the vibration isn't present.

Is it a case that I'm now looking at tie rods ends, CV joints? From past experience the vibration from a DMF issue plays up most when you accelerate and is present from around 50PMH upwards and doesn't go away at a certain speed. My tires have now been checked by three different shops and are fine and I've just fitted new Brembo pads and discs.

Hoping that someone can shed some light on this. Many Thanks.

K.

Last edited by glenthedog; 06-28-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

tie rods, lower control arm bushings.
a good suspension shop will be able to tell if you need it or not.

I have a vibration at 70 mph or so, depending on the heat of the day and the road.
it happens to be the resonant frequency for the car, go figure.