XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Success!! An amazing carbon vinyl wrap.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Success!! An amazing carbon vinyl wrap.

Success!! An amazing carbon vinyl wrap.-image.jpg
I've been trying t find a realistic vinyl wrap to give my interior an updated look.
I've tried the textured black that see to be the only option but it just looks too plastic. I want that deep gloss factory look
Finally I found a new wrap, VVIVID gloss carbon vinyl wrap. Sounded good so I ordered it.
To begin with, it came in damaged, the box had been bent. But it looked promising. So I cut a piece and wrapped my door trim. (I have ordered new black door panels so I tried the removed wood veneer from one of those.) it looked terrible and wouldn't really curve and wrap around back. So I sent the seller a message with my disappointment.
He responded that he would take care of the damage. And then gave me a little helpful hint. "Did you remove the clear plastic film from the vinyl?" What?!?! Nothing mentioned about this film anywhere!! So I tried again, left the film on while I covered the flat face, then pulled it up around the edges, leaving on the face to protect until finished, then heated and pulled the vinyl around to the back. Trimmed the excess, leaving a 1/4" to secure, pulled off remaining film and WOW!! This looks sooo real!!
Now, it's a bit dark but is the closest thing to the factory carbon I've ever seen. The pattern is metallic under the gloss so it even shifts a bit like real carbon.
S I'll be doing the rest of the interior after I find my last door panel, the drivers side.

The following 2 users liked this post by philhef:
aliensporez (09-04-2014), Reaxions (11-03-2015)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
The following users liked this post:
aliensporez (09-04-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, I also had a leaper I was going to use on headrest but they wouldn't stick so I used the last one on the carbon. It's cut from the same brushed black titanium I used on the center console lids and radio surround. It looks amazing. And very subtle. Only shows at the right angle. So I'll be getting enough for the other doors.

The following 2 users liked this post by philhef:
aliensporez (09-04-2014), Reaxions (11-03-2015)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Great job! How did you place the outline of the leaper over the CF wrap?

Old 08-31-2014, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Looks great, Where did you purches the wrap. Bernie

Old 08-31-2014, 09:27 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Excellent job, but I just love the wood look too much.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
Great job! How did you place the outline of the leaper over the CF wrap?
My trim/sign shop guy made them for me from my brushed black steel wrap, for my headrests but I decided not to use them there. Sticker perfectly and reminds me of the older jaguars with inlaid leapers and such. I think I may sell them for him. He made some very small gold ones for my XJ8 a few years ago. I have some titanium that matches the interior in the XF and it would be great on the wood.

axr6 (09-01-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sherbercars
Looks great, Where did you purches the wrap. Bernie
I found it on ebay from sticky-graphics. VVIVID tech art vinyl carbon gloss. If you order, request it be shipped in a tube or wrapped on one in the box. Mine was really damaged. But he says he"ll make it good. Just know it has a clear film over it. I left the film on for the flat panels then peeled it back around the edges to heat and wrap around to the back. Also be sure to clean the back of the panel really well. I used laquer thinner on the back, not on the front. This film also heats and stretches really well to get the corners.
Like I said, I only wish the carbon image was a bit bolder and it would be perfect. But it's still extremely convincing!!

sherbercars (07-01-2015)
Old 09-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Torrid
Excellent job, but I just love the wood look too much.
I love some of the woods too but since I purchased mine select pre-owned, I didn't have a choice on veneer. Mine had a very light wood with strange pinkish blotches in the stain. And the pieces were already cracking. I've watched Ebay for a piano black set but no luck. So this was the next best upgrade. Gives a really sport feel with my black pack exterior finish I've done. I started with black brushed metallic steel on the worst cracked panels on the center console and even did the ac- audio panel to tone down the plastic silver look. Made a huge difference.
Like I said, I love the wood too but I think some of the veneer choices weren't so great.
[ATTACH]94698[/ATTACH
It really looks like metal. My dealer actually has asked me to quote him to wrap several used cars with damaged interiors veneer. Just the center section like this. It actually looks great with the door and blade left wood. Good affordable fix that looks factory!!

Attached Thumbnails Success!! An amazing carbon vinyl wrap.-image.jpg  
Old 09-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Finished the blade. I think I'm ordering the regular glove box button and swapping. Not really a good way to finish around it. And I'll recover it a bit better. But looks good otherwise!

aliensporez (09-04-2014)
Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks great.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Nice job !

wow nice job it look really great !

Old 09-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 358 Likes on 271 Posts

Great work!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wood Trim Updated

Took my 2009 XF in for a vinyl wrap update on the wood trim. Came out great. Went with black brushed steel for the center console and gloss black for the blade and door panels. Couldn't be happier. Really updates the interior. Both products are from 3M for those considering doing their own.

Attached Thumbnails Success!! An amazing carbon vinyl wrap.-image.jpg  
philhef (06-29-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Took it in? The dealer??

Old 06-29-2015, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Salad17
Took my 2009 XF in for a vinyl wrap update on the wood trim. Came out great. Went with black brushed steel for the center console and gloss black for the blade and door panels. Couldn't be happier. Really updates the interior. Both products are from 3M for those considering doing their own.
Looks great!! Looks a bit familiar!! Lol. I thought I was looking at my interior!! ��
How did you handle the glove box button? Mine never worked well so I added a new one beside glovebox and re-wired. And don't you love the black around the buttons?!?! Totally makes the buttons look better!! (I love the new black buttons on facelift but obviously aren't able to swap)
I've since gone to piano black for everything since my dog, also a daily passenger (she goes to work with me!) had been putting scratches on the brushed black.
Looks great though!

Last edited by philhef; 06-29-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:57 AM

There is a local shop about 20 min from downtown Chicago that does all kinds of graphics and vehicle wraps. If you're local and want more info, PM me and I'll get you their contact info.

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Took it in? The dealer??

Old 06-29-2015, 07:03 AM

Your posts gave me the idea and confidence to get it done. It does look a lot like yours. I had them just cover the the glove box button. It still functions through the vinyl and I rarely use the glove box anyway. I know approximately where it is if I need to get in there. You're right about the wrap around the climate control buttons. Really updated the look. Thanks for your previous and current input.
Originally Posted by philhef
Looks great!! Looks a bit familiar!! Lol. I thought I was looking at my interior!! ��
How did you handle the glove box button? Mine never worked well so I added a new one beside glovebox and re-wired. And don't you love the black around the buttons?!?! Totally makes the buttons look better!! (I love the new black buttons on facelift but obviously aren't able to swap)
I've since gone to piano black for everything since my dog, also a daily passenger (she goes to work with me!) had been putting scratches on the brushed black.
Looks great though!

philhef (06-30-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Does anyone know why we have adds in the pictures in this thread?
Very annoying and should not be there.

Any idea how to remove them?

Old 06-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Never Surprised by your mods!!! Looks great...

Quick Reply: Success!! An amazing carbon vinyl wrap.