XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharged or not??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
Chalk a couple up to great neck jaguar. They told me the two they had on the lot didn't have navigation. I was surprised as well. They also told me even the base 2010 came with the 5 liter. I knew that was wrong, but didn't know about the navigation.
They had no idea what they were saying. It's amazing, these guys supposed to be salesman and have no actual information on the product they were selling.

I had similar experience with another dealer. When you walk in there knowing more about their product than they do, it's really a shame.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is any help I just bought my XF SC from Orlando Jag and was very happy with the negotiations and the deal I got. I have no other affiliation with them. I went in looking for a 2010-2012 XFR but I love the Sc V8. I agree it is a total sleeper car. For the difference in money, the 0.2 seconds of difference in 0-60 between the SC and the R wasn't worth it I decided. I have not driven the naturally aspirated V8, however. Not to bludgeon a deceased equine with a point that has been covered in this thread, but having almost all of the options included in the SC helped sell me on it.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I've decided to go with the silver xf, the reacquired vehicle. This seems to be the most bang for my buck.

The dealer just lowered it to $29980 on Monday. They said it's been on the lot for 100 days. They've offered financing through Chase for 3.9% for 60 months. I'm not sure if they will lower the price anymore, is there anything else I should try to negotiate for or just take the deal?

Old 03-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

You should be able to find a lot better interest rate if your credit is good and you shop around. 3.9% @ 60mo is high

Old 03-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

If you really want that car, I'd say take the 3.9 and then refinance after you take possession. You have to make it worth their while one way or the other. They get a kick back on loans and will include that kick back as part of making the deal worth their while. I took 7.9 financing as part of my deal. I refinanced at 0.79% through a local credit union after I took possession. Their loan won't hit your credit report rating before you reapply somewhere else.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by beachsidescott
I think I've decided to go with the silver xf, the reacquired vehicle. This seems to be the most bang for my buck.

The dealer just lowered it to $29980 on Monday. They said it's been on the lot for 100 days. They've offered financing through Chase for 3.9% for 60 months. I'm not sure if they will lower the price anymore, is there anything else I should try to negotiate for or just take the deal?
Sorry I couldn't convince you otherwise. Anyways, good luck. I imagine everytime the previous owner took that vehicle to the dealership, they told him the problem was fixed... and from the carfax, it looks like it was at the dealership quite a bit.

As far as the 3.9%, that's really high. I was able to get a loan at 2% through my local bank. Also, if you find a certified vehicle, you can get .9% through jaguar's certified program. If you were to take out a $20k loan at 3.9%, over the life of the loan you'd pay $2k in interest. Take that same loan at .9%, you'd pay only $460 in interest. Also, you can try checking for refinance options like the previous poster stated, although I'm not sure where has that low of a rate right now.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by pw3484
Sorry I couldn't convince you otherwise. Anyways, good luck. I imagine everytime the previous owner took that vehicle to the dealership, they told him the problem was fixed... and from the carfax, it looks like it was at the dealership quite a bit.

As far as the 3.9%, that's really high. I was able to get a loan at 2% through my local bank. Also, if you find a certified vehicle, you can get .9% through jaguar's certified program. If you were to take out a $20k loan at 3.9%, over the life of the loan you'd pay $2k in interest. Take that same loan at .9%, you'd pay only $460 in interest. Also, you can try checking for refinance options like the previous poster stated, although I'm not sure where has that low of a rate right now.
I appreciate your opinion and I hear what you're saying about purchasing the buyback, it is a risk. I'm hopeful that everything will turn out well.

It's too bad they won't officially certify it, it doesn't qualify for the .9% promotion. In the meantime I'll shop around for a refi at a better rate. I'm putting a big down payment and I'll most likely pay the rest off before the end of this year, so the interest won't hurt me that much.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You have a warranty on it still tho right?? Just bought my jag and they are still notorious for electrical gremlins. Be careful. Buying a jag without a warranty seems scary to me.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

i have the NA '12 portfolio. if i had it to do over again i'd probably splurge for the SC, but not the XFR.

actually, i had looked at an '08 Aston Martin Vantage V8 that was about the same price as a new XF SC. nice.........

Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by beachsidescott
The silver one is a RAV, it's got a lemon buy back title. The dealer said it was bought back because of a problem with the touchscreen and computer. Jaguar NA fixed it and sold it back to the dealer. They are warranting it 6 yr/100k miles. So it would have about 2 1/2 more years warranty. The branded title does concern me for resale too.

The dealer for the grey one said on the phone they want another $1800 to certify it. The car has been on their lot for a while so they may negotiate some, I'm not positive though
That 6yr/100k warranty...is that part of the original factory warranty that got extended by Jaguar North America because it was a lemon buyback? Or an extended warranty backed by a 3rd party company? Typically those 6yr/100k mile extended warranties are exclusionary policies which excludes a lot of things. Anyways just wanted to make sure that you understand what that warranty covers before buying that car.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:11 AM

I was told it was a Jaguar NA warranty but I'm going to confirm that. I'm heading to the dealership now to check everything out. Thanks for the help

Old 03-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

It is a Jaguar certified warranty. It doesn't cover everything, no warranty will. It will only cover "critical components" so generally power train.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
It is a Jaguar certified warranty. It doesn't cover everything, no warranty will. It will only cover "critical components" so generally power train.
I don't believe it's a certified warranty because OP said they can't certify vehicle and obtain the .9% financing as a result. It's most likely a 3rd party extended warranty which like you said only covers very basic issues anyways. Even if it is a "Jaguar extended warranty", it's still backed by a 3rd party regardless and they almost always find a way to say an issue with the car is not covered.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Are you sure on that Blackcoog?

The last few cars in my household were Lincolns (LS, Navigator) with CPO warranty (6y, 100,000) and it covered something as small as USB/ipod issues among other things. And, this is after the original warranty had expired.

They are out there.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Are you sure on that Blackcoog?

The last few cars in my household were Lincolns (LS, Navigator) with CPO warranty (6y, 100,000) and it covered something as small as USB/ipod issues among other things. And, this is after the original warranty had expired.

They are out there.
Yes, my XF has the certified 6 year warranty through Jaguar. I was not happy when the dealer was trying to charge me for some broken clips and random stuff that isn't considered "critical". The broken clips jammed the passenger seat belt so it couldn't be used. I tend to think of that as critical. They didn't... I wouldn't have brought it to the dealer if I would have known that certain items weren't covered.

Others on the forum have mentioned the same thing so I'm fairly certain this is the case for all the Jags with the 6 year warranty. Someone posted a list of the "critical components" so I'm almost 100% sure. I'd love to be wrong though...

Last edited by Blackcoog; 03-06-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Blackcoog, my warranty was sold by the Jaguar dealership, but it is administered through a third party. The are very few things that aren't covered by the warranty (trim is one of them). I was just in speaking with the service manager last week and he said it was a very comprehensive warranty and that it was pretty easy for them to work within. This differs from the Jaguar Certified warranty that doesn't seem to cover as much as my third party one does. You have to purchase it before your original factory warranty expires though.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 PM

So I drove the 2 hours south to West Palm today to see the car. The dealership was very professional. They provided me with the complete service history of the car and the statement from Jaguar about the reacquire. There were 3 things, non starting, low coolant indicator, and touchscreen inoperable. There is an additional 1 year warranty on these 3 items but I'm assuming they would be covered by the factory warranty as well. The in service date for the car was 1/2011 so my factory warranty is good until 1/2015 and the 6yr 100k warranty is good through 1/17

I'm hopeful the issues were fully taken care of. The car feels and smells brand new. I hadn't driven an XF SC before, and it is just awesome. I'm completely blown away by this vehicle. Here's a pic when they unveiled it for me in the delivery room

Attached Thumbnails Supercharged or not??-12981292573_e28bd732a1_c.jpg   Supercharged or not??-12981278785_9c9082def9_c.jpg   Supercharged or not??-12981285403_e763e49153_b.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd have the dealer provide written proof that the 6yr warranty will cover the three problems if they reoccur. The problems sound like they were major electrical problems due to bad wiring harnesses.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Received 62 Likes on 11 Posts

So did you end up buying that car? I sure wish I would have come across a deal like that when I was shopping!

Old 03-09-2014, 01:43 PM

Yep, I got it! It's an incredible car. This is my first luxury car and I couldn't be happier! Heading out for a Sunday drive now. I'll try to get some pics and post them up

Quick Reply: Supercharged or not??