XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharged vs. XFR real-world driving differences?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The real price difference between S/C and R is about $8K, but I would trade the 40hp difference for 200kgs in weight loss.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
The real price difference between S/C and R is about $8K, but I would trade the 40hp difference for 200kgs in weight loss.
I thought the XFR and SC were the same weight

Old 03-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by drjp
I thought the XFR and SC were the same weight
I think you misread it, he'd like the car to be lighter; they do weigh the same @ 4,306lbs.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XFR - XFSC and XFR-S

The really sport car is XFR-S .
XFR and XF Supercharged are almost the same cars. I know both.
It is worth to noticed that the Supercharged model is only present in North America. There is no "Supercharged " version in Europe.
The New JAGUAR EPC system does NOT distinguish between XFR and Supercharged parts. The engine, the main computers, suspensions, steerings, brakes, are all THE SAME.
(So You will have the same problems in fitting alloy whells smaller than 20" due to brake with caliper size and dimensions. (exactly the same parts numbers!)

So why was it introduced into production?

The reason is : Not everyone expects sport performance car with sport looking design.
It is many people especially in US who are accustomed to high performance and high-end vehicles, which don't necessarily look sporty.

For many people , sport bumpers, red interior, "semi-bucket" seats and "R" sign localized everywhere is not this what they really expect from high-end performance cars.
Many people look for the cars with high performance and smooth design.
So it is the reason of Supercharged version was introduced.
The insignificant difference in horse power amount is a consequence of the Jaguar Company logic. So the main difference in performance seems to be hidden just in different software version and the main difference in gadgets and design We can easily see.

Regards
Ad.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atyp1
The really sport car is XFR-S .
XFR and XF Supercharged are almost the same cars. I know both.
It is worth to noticed that the Supercharged model is only present in North America. There is no "Supercharged " version in Europe.
The New JAGUAR EPC system does NOT distinguish between XFR and Supercharged parts. The engine, the main computers, suspensions, steerings, brakes, are all THE SAME.
(So You will have the same problems in fitting alloy whells smaller than 20" due to brake with caliper size and dimensions. (exactly the same parts numbers!)

So why was it introduced into production?

The reason is : Not everyone expects sport performance car with sport looking design.
It is many people especially in US who are accustomed to high performance and high-end vehicles, which don't necessarily look sporty.

For many people , sport bumpers, red interior, "semi-bucket" seats and "R" sign localized everywhere is not this what they really expect from high-end performance cars.
Many people look for the cars with high performance and smooth design.
So it is the reason of Supercharged version was introduced.
The insignificant difference in horse power amount is a consequence of the Jaguar Company logic. So the main difference in performance seems to be hidden just in different software version and the main difference in gadgets and design We can easily see.

Regards
Ad.
If you know the dealer mechanic, you can even ask him to reflash the ECU with the XF-R even XKR-S file. You'll pick up some power there! BTW, the XF simply doesn't go full throttle at full throttle (that's predorminantly where the 40 hp went).

Old 12-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Impression after a year in the xfr

In my opinion, its more a matter of taste than stepping down in performance. Ive had my XF-R for a year and absolutely love it. I like that Ive only seen one other on the road and being a car guy I enjoy the number of people that come up to talk about it when I'm parked. If you want a fast sedan that looks like a fast sedan then the R is well worth the additional cost.
That said if you live in the northeast or midwest like I do the suspension, tire, HP combo makes it more car than you can use (unless your a much better driver). Even when not in sport or dynamic the rear tires spin constantly when its cold or wet and the backend breaks loose quite easily in corners at moderate speed. The SC felt like it had the same straight line speed but was a bit softer in daily driving and felt much more planted. When I'm running errands or driving with my family 8 times out of 10 I grab the keys to the range rover so I can have a more relaxed driving experience (and not scare the hell out of my passengers).

I hate to say it because I do truly love the xfr and dont regret my decision but if I was buying a car that would be a daily driver I would probably save my money and get the SC. Has everything I like about the R without the somewhat "loud" styling and white knuckle driving.
Either way you cant go wrong. If your inner 12 year old is making the purchase get the R, if your looking for a slightly more practical purchase get the SC. If performance is most important but the cost difference is the problem get the SC and spend 1500 on the ECU tune and pulley upgrade

For myself I wanted an alternative to the M5 or the E63 so the xfr was a great choice but I cant say for 95% of the time I'm behind the wheel I would be less happy in the SC

The following users liked this post:
neogod (12-26-2013)
Old 12-25-2013, 06:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This is what I don't like about the XF-R...

• The nostrils on top of the hood which breaks the otherwise clean lines of the car.
  • The lip spoiler on the trunk lid which again breaks the clean lines
  • The excessive extra cost $12K MSRP -- for what amounts to revised seats, a body kit and an ECU tune.
This is what I like about the XF-R

• The suspension is firmer and just right (the XF is soft enough to not inspire confidence)
  • The seats are much better than the "Buick" (soft and lacking in side bolsters) seats in the 2008~2011 XFs. But this is greatly diminished with the much nicer seats in the 2012~present cars.
  • 510 hp tune without having to muck around with the ECU flash.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dwightlooi
If you know the dealer mechanic, you can even ask him to reflash the ECU with the XF-R even XKR-S file. You'll pick up some power there! BTW, the XF simply doesn't go full throttle at full throttle (that's predorminantly where the 40 hp went).

I didn't know the ECU files were interchangeable! I'll have find out what the service manager and mechanic likes to drink at my dealership
and get this done. LOL!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwightlooi
Does this apply to only the newer XF SC? My '09 has the 4.2, can it run the newer file?

Thanks

Old 01-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

No. The 4.2L is completely different from the direct injected 5.0L V-8.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:01 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RoswellJAG
I didn't know the ECU files were interchangeable! I'll have find out what the service manager and mechanic likes to drink at my dealership
and get this done. LOL!
Or, talk to this guy... Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - View Profile: sir2

Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
No. The 4.2L is completely different from the direct injected 5.0L V-8.
Then can you or anyone else tell me what tune file they give to us 4.2 guys.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight looi

Does he provide a method to obtain the files and get the reflash?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I test drove all 3 at the same dealer in Newport Beach - XF, SC and XFR. Differences were noticeable but not a deal breaker as between the SC and XFR. I went with the XFR because it is so exclusive. I live in Los Angeles and have seen less than 5 around town over the last year of ownership. And the XFR is a beast. It also comes fully loaded so it made the purchase easier. I also got a great deal - $20k off sticker so payment differential was only around $100. And even though I live in the city I travel to Bakersfield and have taken her up to 130 mph on several occasions. Love the head rush. The torque is awesome. A real solid kick in the pants. Andrew in LA

The following users liked this post:
blrx7r1 (01-07-2014)