XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharger bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Supercharger bearing noise

Hi everyone,
Have an 2012 XFR, upon declerating or even blipping the throttle past 4k rpm I hear a very loud screeching noise. Two indy shops send it sounded like some type of bad bearing coming from the supercharger. Anyone experience this?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Most supercharger noise issues stem from the drive couple that connects the input drive to the supercharger impellers. While I have never heard a bearing squeal and not immediately seize, I suppose it could happen, I would first remove the belt drive from the supercharger and spin it by hand to see if I felt any play , binding or roughness. It really sounds like you have a belt, idler pulley or tensioner problem. Also the alternator pulley is clutched, and can squeal just as you say when it goes bad.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Most supercharger noise issues stem from the drive couple that connects the input drive to the supercharger impellers. While I have never heard a bearing squeal and not immediately seize, I suppose it could happen, I would first remove the belt drive from the supercharger and spin it by hand to see if I felt any play , binding or roughness. It really sounds like you have a belt, idler pulley or tensioner problem. Also the alternator pulley is clutched, and can squeal just as you say when it goes bad.
Hi Will, the dealer said it is the supercharger...they were going to replace it until they measured the (Mina) pulley... ... now my head is spinning...

So, anyone could led me to a thread with the bearing replacement or most logical steps for repair. I live in San Diego, any shops in Southern Cali for repair.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcinsd
Hi Will, the dealer said it is the supercharger...they were going to replace it until they measured the (Mina) pulley... ... now my head is spinning...

So, anyone could led me to a thread with the bearing replacement or most logical steps for repair. I live in San Diego, any shops in Southern Cali for repair.
Oof, that's unfortunate. I guess that's the downside of running aftermarket pulleys - the dealers know to measure them before assessing a replacement that otherwise would've been covered.

In all honesty the noisy bearing (if that is what the issue is) is almost certainly in the snout rather than the charger, so I'd recommend one of these kits off eBay.

That said, I'd still pull the belt off and check the feel of the pulley/shaft before buying one in case it's not the cause of the problem.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Oof, that's unfortunate. I guess that's the downside of running aftermarket pulleys - the dealers know to measure them before assessing a replacement that otherwise would've been covered.

In all honesty the noisy bearing (if that is what the issue is) is almost certainly in the snout rather than the charger, so I'd recommend one of these kits off eBay.

That said, I'd still pull the belt off and check the feel of the pulley/shaft before buying one in case it's not the cause of the problem.
So, there are two bearings...one front and one rear for each rotor. I assume new snout would cover the front and hope that the rears are good?

Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Well you could pull the supercharger your self and then ship it to an Eaton rebuider. It's not an easy job but would save you tons in labor.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Well you could pull the supercharger your self and then ship it to an Eaton rebuider. It's not an easy job but would save you tons in labor.
Only problem is that it's my daily driver. If I had to ship it, i would have it ported/polished. Any place in L.A. Anthony?

Old 09-02-2017, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bmcinsd
Only problem is that it's my daily driver. If I had to ship it, i would have it ported/polished. Any place in L.A. Anthony?
SuperchargersOnline, Worlds largest Supercharger Resource. Get Serious About Power
Just North of LA.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:22 PM

Thank you Anthony! I will give them a call. Appreciate the advice.