XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Supercharger Electric Coolant Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 01:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharger Electric Coolant Pump

Good afternoon everyone,

I was recently told by the dealership in my city that I need to replace the supercharger electric coolant pump for my XF 2013 (V6, supercharged) as it's not working anymore. I had taken the car in as my engine was misfiring and they said that a PCM update fixed that but they found that the electric coolant pump wasn't working and that it doesn't throw a CEL now but it can anytime. They are charging me $900 for it. I spoke to a technician there and he told me that this isn't really required to be changed unless I push the engine too much (like when you are racing or something similar) as this only cools the supercharger when it's being pushed. I told him I don't push the engine a lot as I only use the car to and from work and when I go out sometimes. He said the car should be fine in that case. My question is, is that really okay? If not, is this something that I can do myself? I have never worked on a car before but I would like to avoid this $900 charge and get the part and work on it myself if this is advisable? I was also looking at parts online just in case and I wasn't sure which one is the coolant pump. I'm including links below of the parts I found. Could someone point me in the right direction? I have looked in the forums but I can't seem to find anything for a supercharger electric coolant pump. I'm maybe not looking hard enough, and if so, I apologize for that. Most of the threads I found were for the XJ and I couldn't tell which one is the supercharger electric coolant pump and which one isn't.

Item 6 in this:

https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/a/...R/4750798.html

Or would it be this one:

https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/a/...P/4750792.html

Or are both of these parts wrong?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Old 07-04-2021, 02:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Item #6 is the intercooler pump for the supercharger.

Old 07-05-2021, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by VetteOwner
Item #6 is the intercooler pump for the supercharger.
Thank you for your reply! Sorry, would that be the same as the electric coolant pump for the supercharger? Or would it be different? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the parts and the naming conventions but I'm trying to look up more material on this so I get more familiar.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:37 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

As Vette says, its item #6: https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/p/...8/C2C1314.html

Depending on which version of the XF engine you have and where in the manual you are looking they are interchangeably labelled charge air cooler coolant pump, auxiliary water pump, electric coolant pump etc. Basically its not the mechanical coolant pump that is directly driven from the drive belt, its a special, electrically operated pump just for the supercharger.

I would not drive it around with a failed pump for long, it will get hot, if the S/C gets too hot the car will go into "restricted mode" and only allow you to limp home. When its in this mode it won't let you drive it hard, however it won't stop the S/C overheating and potentially damaging it.

Go and check with any local indy garages for pricing, its a relativity easy job, just pop off the front bumper and its tucked next to the radiator on the right hand side of the vehicle. I did my own in an afternoon, but you do need a good selection of tools and the workshop manual.

Old 07-05-2021, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by fivel
As Vette says, its item #6: https://parts.jaguarpalmbeach.com/p/...8/C2C1314.html

Depending on which version of the XF engine you have and where in the manual you are looking they are interchangeably labelled charge air cooler coolant pump, auxiliary water pump, electric coolant pump etc. Basically its not the mechanical coolant pump that is directly driven from the drive belt, its a special, electrically operated pump just for the supercharger.

I would not drive it around with a failed pump for long, it will get hot, if the S/C gets too hot the car will go into "restricted mode" and only allow you to limp home. When its in this mode it won't let you drive it hard, however it won't stop the S/C overheating and potentially damaging it.

Go and check with any local indy garages for pricing, its a relativity easy job, just pop off the front bumper and its tucked next to the radiator on the right hand side of the vehicle. I did my own in an afternoon, but you do need a good selection of tools and the workshop manual.
Thank you for your reply and confirming it's item 6! That makes sense now that they are interchangeably labelled.

I will try to avoid this and call some shops to get the pricing. Would it be possible to get a workshop manual somewhere? I am just asking as one of my colleagues works on cars and he might be able to help me with it but I don't know if he has manual for my car. I was looking up the part and prices for it online but it seems to be almost the same everywhere except for partsgeek where it's about $60 less. Would you be able to recommend any third party places to get parts for a little less?

Thank you for your help!

Old 07-05-2021, 08:19 PM

Go here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-152574/
The difference is Bigg Will is installing an upgraded pump with a modified electrical connection [pay no heed to that if you use stock replacement parts] but the installation is similar, at least shows what to look forward to. A search for removing the front bumper will also be of use.

Old 07-05-2021, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by VetteOwner
Go here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrade-152574/
The difference is Bigg Will is installing an upgraded pump with a modified electrical connection [pay no heed to that if you use stock replacement parts] but the installation is similar, at least shows what to look forward to. A search for removing the front bumper will also be of use.
Thank you for sending this to me! This is a great source of information! I will look for some info on how to remove the front bumper!

Old 07-06-2021, 08:06 AM
Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by fivel

The coolant flowing through the supercharger intercooler is to cool the air not the supercharger.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by kansanbrit
The coolant flowing through the supercharger intercooler is to cool the air not the supercharger.
Thank you for replying! Does this mean it's cooling the air and the air then cools the supercharger? This would then keep the supercharger from heating? Or am I getting this wrong?

Old 07-07-2021, 02:27 AM
Old 07-07-2021, 07:16 AM
Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by aimulaidni
Thank you for replying! Does this mean it's cooling the air and the air then cools the supercharger? This would then keep the supercharger from heating? Or am I getting this wrong?
Cooler intake air = more power. The supercharger will not overheat, the only heat generated is from compressing the air.

The following users liked this post:
chris.schneider (07-12-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,351 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Right the super charger is not the problem as it's not getting too hot. But the air does and then the computer starts pulling timing and limiting boost to prevent the engine from detonating which can destroy your engine in a few seconds. So more power and a safety factor for your engine. Your knock sensors are also doing the same thing by monitoring the engine directly for knocking regardless of the reason.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit me up if you need the pump...I have a 2013 XF 16447 miles parting out.